Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon guy and gals. I inherited my brothers TBSS after he passed away in January due to covid. I haven’t been able to get myself to drive it much but I’m getting where I need to drive it as that’s what he would’ve wanted. He did daily it but there’s some issues with it that I’m trying to address and get it fixed. It has a few codes that I done pulled and I’ll get them addressed but the main thing I have no idea about is the airbags. They won’t hold air up automatically, I have to manually air them up and they don’t hold air as they should. I know maybe a year or 2 ago my brother changed the compressor but that’s about all I know. What do I need to do to fix this issue? Or maybe change it to a coil spring? I’m new to the TBSS world. I have a SVT f150 Lightning, so it’s very different from this. Any help or insight is very much appreciated guys.

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
850 Posts
Sorry about the the loss of your brother. Honestly the lowering springs will be the cheapest route with less of a headache.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about the the loss of your brother. Honestly the lowering springs will be the cheapest route with less of a headache.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Thanks man. And is there any specific lowering springs you can recommend? I like the comfort of the air bags but I feel it’s too much of a headache in the long run.

·
Registered
182 Posts
you can buy replacement arnott airbags from rockauto.com. It's a really easy install. like under an hour with a jack, jackstands, and simple hand tools. They simply twist off, remove hose, and reverse install... Bags should last 5yrs+. They are not terribly expensive, $200 for the pair. So that is not terrible at all from a TCO standpoint.

But many just replace with springs. Common is the lowering kit springs, with a 1" spacer. So you get the lowering spring with stiffer rate, but a spacer to retain stock height. Then if you want to lower it, just remove the spacer, and add the front lowering kit.
here is the rear kit alone. TBSSowners.com Store - NORCAL SS CUSTOM Belltech Rear Stock Height Spring/Shock Kit (Powered by CubeCart)

I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can buy replacement arnott airbags from rockauto.com. It's a really easy install. like under an hour with a jack, jackstands, and simple hand tools. They simply twist off, remove hose, and reverse install... Bags should last 5yrs+. They are not terribly expensive, $200 for the pair. So that is not terrible at all from a TCO standpoint.

But many just replace with springs. Common is the lowering kit springs, with a 1" spacer. So you get the lowering spring with stiffer rate, but a spacer to retain stock height. Then if you want to lower it, just remove the spacer, and add the front lowering kit.
here is the rear kit alone. TBSSowners.com Store - NORCAL SS CUSTOM Belltech Rear Stock Height Spring/Shock Kit (Powered by CubeCart)

Dude thanks so much for all that information! You helped a lot, just one last question, will they air bags leaking cause the compressor to not turn on auto? They have to be manually aired up and compressor manually turned off?
And thanks man, my brother was the second owner of this TBSS and it was his pride and joy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
there are sensors on each side in the rear and they could go bad too. I dont know if you can see them with the rear wheel on, but off they are staring right at you.

If the bag leaks and height drops, the compressor should enable till the tide height is met according to the sensor.

sensors can go bad, compressors too and bags can leak. So you have to diagnose all three.
Lose rode height overnight, bags.
Compressor cant raise car nor can you inflate manually, check compressor and fuse.
Ride height wrong or never engages compressor, check sensors and fuses

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
88 Posts
From a fellow TBSS and Lightning owner, my condolences on your loss.
As stated above, it’s a fairly easy system, but you’ll have to test each component. Given that your brother already changed the compressor, it’s probably a sensor. I’d start with the basics like fuses and move on to the sensors.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From a fellow TBSS and Lightning owner, my condolences on your loss.
As stated above, it’s a fairly easy system, but you’ll have to test each component. Given that your brother already changed the compressor, it’s probably a sensor. I’d start with the basics like fuses and move on to the sensors.
Best of luck!
Thanks man, it means a lot. The airbags used hold air longer but it’s been sitting for like 8 months, I just wasn’t able to drive it but now the airbags lose air fairly quickly. So prolly have to change them out for sure as well as the sensors. What color Lightning? I got a black one, and my younger brother has a red Lightning lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good afternoon guy and gals. I inherited my brothers TBSS after he passed away in January due to covid. I haven’t been able to get myself to drive it much but I’m getting where I need to drive it as that’s what he would’ve wanted. He did daily it but there’s some issues with it that I’m trying to address and get it fixed. It has a few codes that I done pulled and I’ll get them addressed but the main thing I have no idea about is the airbags. They won’t hold air up automatically, I have to manually air them up and they don’t hold air as they should. I know maybe a year or 2 ago my brother changed the compressor but that’s about all I know. What do I need to do to fix this issue? Or maybe change it to a coil spring? I’m new to the TBSS world. I have a SVT f150 Lightning, so it’s very different from this. Any help or insight is very much appreciated guys. View attachment 102872

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
88 Posts
Thanks man, it means a lot. The airbags used hold air longer but it’s been sitting for like 8 months, I just wasn’t able to drive it but now the airbags lose air fairly quickly. So prolly have to change them out for sure as well as the sensors. What color Lightning? I got a black one, and my younger brother has a red Lightning lol
Black L here too!
I’m in search of a Gen 1 to match. Lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Black L here too!
I’m in search of a Gen 1 to match. Lol
Oh nice! Man the price on the Gen 1s is ridiculous right now. I’m hoping the used car market will settle down. I’d like a termi cobra, but gonna attempt to acquire a GT350 within the next year or 2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts