Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who's running the I6 Stall Converter? Do they have the TBSS stock towing capacity? What's the stall speed? How do they compare to Circle D 278 which has a max towing capictiy of 4k & the Yank PTB3200? The truck is a D/D that will prob see towing once a year (my F-Body). Where can I find one besides GM Parts Direct PN#24228709? I apologize for having so many questions. Everyone inputs are welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Contact Chris at Circle-D, many of us have had his product and it held up to everything I threw at it.

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
Do you mean a stock i6 converter? I would go to Chris at Circle-d. I got mine from him. Great to deal with, real nice guy to talk to.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you mean a stock i6 converter? I would go to Chris at Circle-d. I got mine from him. Great to deal with, real nice guy to talk to.
Yeah the stock I6 conveter. I've read a few forums about them and it seems as if they hold up pretty good. I'll contact Chris tomorrow as far as in to detail specs.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Contact Chris at Circle-D, many of us have had his product and it held up to everything I threw at it.
What was your towing capacity?

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,602 Posts
May hold up OK but the stall speed is not that much more than stock. Really not worth the effort to do it.

Get a good converter like a Yank with a high STR.

·
Premium Member
'07 awd
2,421 Posts
I installed a stock one over the winter. To me it makes a noticeable diff in performance and feel. But, I think my situation is somewhat unique. I ran a 13.08 as "was". I only needed/wanted a tenth or two, w/out sacrificing much durability. I bought the converter for $248.00, and installation was free. If I was paying for installation, I may not have went so mild and made it more worth my while. For what its worth, I did make it to the track, but the tranny was bouncing off the rev limiter going into 3rd. Something it never did before even after the stall was installed and driving on the street. It was taken care of easy enough with a tune adjustment. But, even with bad gas and a not so well prepped track, my awd TBSS spun off the line (it's never done that before) and still managed 1/2 a tenth better 60 ft time. So, I think it makes a difference, and I like it.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
May hold up OK but the stall speed is not that much more than stock. Really not worth the effort to do it.

Get a good converter like a Yank with a high STR.
My 2nd choice would be the Circle D. Just don't have the Yank money, wish I did though LOL.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I installed a stock one over the winter. To me it makes a noticeable diff in performance and feel. But, I think my situation is somewhat unique. I ran a 13.08 as "was". I only needed/wanted a tenth or two, w/out sacrificing much durability. I bought the converter for $248.00, and installation was free. If I was paying for installation, I may not have went so mild and made it more worth my while. For what its worth, I did make it to the track, but the tranny was bouncing off the rev limiter going into 3rd. Something it never did before even after the stall was installed and driving on the street. It was taken care of easy enough with a tune adjustment. But, even with bad gas and a not so well prepped track, my awd TBSS spun off the line (it's never done that before) and still managed 1/2 a tenth better 60 ft time. So, I think it makes a difference, and I like it.
That's what I've seen on one of the other TBSS forums that it's a pretty noticeable upgrade over the stock unit.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,590 Posts
1/2 a tenth which usually means .1 in the 1/4.. iknow yank can be anywhere from - .6-.4.. i thought circle d with 3200stall should be able to cut atleast .2-.3 tenths in the 1/4. :2cents:

was yours a 3000 or 3200 stall?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1/2 a tenth which usually means .1 in the 1/4.. iknow yank can be anywhere from - .6-.4.. i thought circle d with 3200stall should be able to cut atleast .2-.3 tenths in the 1/4. :2cents:

If Circle D cuts .2-.3 that'll be perfect for the price. The only concern I have with the Circle D is the towing capacity. It's not often but I do tow my full weight F-Body every now & then.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,590 Posts
im pretty sure you keep the stock towing capacity with a circle d check their website.. not sure off hand but google it

·
Premium Member
'07 awd
2,421 Posts

Mine is neither a 3000 or 3200. It's a bone stock I6 converter, out of the box from the factory.

From what I can gather and was told, the stock TBSS converter is about 1800 stall, a stock I6 converter is 2600. I can't prove it, just what I've heard.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know guys. Thanks for the info. Circle D it is.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thought I would chime in here to help...3 tenths is normal, some have seen more. Full towing capacity, but you do need to add an external cooler. Great bang for the buck and drive very nice for a DD TBSS.

Chris

·
Registered
468 Posts
From what I can gather and was told, the stock TBSS converter is about 1800 stall, a stock I6 converter is 2600. I can't prove it, just what I've heard.
You are pretty close. The OE TBSS is a 300mm, rated about 1600-1800. And the OE I6 TB is a 278mm rated at about 2400-2600.

Chris

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thought I would chime in here to help...3 tenths is normal, some have seen more. Full towing capacity, but you do need to add an external cooler. Great bang for the buck and drive very nice for a DD TBSS.

Chris
Thanks for responding Chris. So the 278mm Circle D is the way to go for Full Towing, as long as I use and External Cooler(which is a must anyway)?

·
Premium Member
2003 ZO6
7,400 Posts
when I had the I6 in mine stall was around 2500 picked up .17 average

·
Registered
2007 TBSS 3SS
525 Posts
Yup
A lot of the truck guys get the i6 stalls to get in the 2500 stall speed range. They are pretty abundant at the savage yards so they go for as little a $80 to $100.

I will be picking up my Circle D tomorrow though. 3200 stall speed and i keep my towing capacity

Thanks Chris!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
284 Posts
I ran a I6 TB stall on my RCSB, had great drivability, but was still a very good converter. I got it to brake stall to about 2500ish, AND I got it NIB for $150 shipped to my door.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts