Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be replacing all of the door speakers and potentially adding a subwoofer. How many of you are running one or two amps on a stock alternator? I fear damaging the electrical system on my vehicle so I want to cover every corner I can to ensure a safe install. I don't have my system picked out yet because I want to figure out what a realistic setup is on a stock system. Post up any builds or ideas you may have as well!

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
827 Posts
For a small build like that your factory 145 to 160 Amp alternator will be just fine. You can feel comfortable running 1000 Watts per 100 Amps. I would suggest if you have more than 600 Watts RMS on your subwoofer to install a 1 Farad capacitor. My setup is to charge batteries for an inverter to power a crap load of stuff. I drive a fast Generator LOL

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
A 1000-1500w peak amp is fine. There are plenty of solid 5ch amps in this range. JL, kenwood, Pioneer, Morel and more. Many of these amps can do 400-800w for the sub ch alone, plenty for 10 and 12” subs

You must do the big 3 electrical upgrade at the same time as your amp install.

Do not waste your time with a cap. The big 3 and better batteries alleviate that crutch

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
827 Posts
Since we answered his question about the alternator. I gotta ask why you guys don't like capacitors?

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,036 Posts
Since we answered his question about the alternator. I gotta ask why you guys don't like capacitors?

Growing up in the 90’s, if you had a big stereo system in your ride, you always would want to use a capacitor to store power for the amps. Fast forward to 2015, now I’m lazy, so I have the local stereo shop do the stereo install on my Silverado and when I mentioned wanting to use a capacitor, they laughed at me. They said in Armenian accent, “nobody uses those anymore, just need big 3”. Lol. It’s 5 years later and I have only burned through 1 battery and that was recently. I’m using all Sundown speakers. A big ass Sundown 1100.5 amp with 2 12’s, and running all component sets in the front and rear doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For a small build like that your factory 145 to 160 Amp alternator will be just fine. You can feel comfortable running 1000 Watts per 100 Amps. I would suggest if you have more than 600 Watts RMS on your subwoofer to install a 1 Farad capacitor. My setup is to charge batteries for an inverter to power a crap load of stuff. I drive a fast Generator LOL

Clean AF!

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS AWD
1,811 Posts

There’s a long winded post on this forum that explains why. But pretty much no one uses them any more. You would need a massive capacitor to actually work, even a 5 farad is not enough of a charge for a big sub hit.

the Capacitor becomes one extra step in the chain that the battery needs to send power to, before the amp. Essentially your starving your amp of power even longer than normal by having a capacitor.

imagine your subs fire and completely drains the capacitor of power. Now after that first hit, the capacitor needs to fully charge before sending power to the amp again, so your delaying the power sent to the amp. Instead of the amp just drawing straight from the source. A cap would work IF it was large enough that it never was drained of power completely. But that would be an absolutely massive cap.

look at any of the crazy spl competition cars out there. None of them have a capacitor in there.

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
827 Posts
I added a small battery to help with my amps. Still using a factory alternator.

Sent from my BV9500Plus using Tapatalk
I like the placement of the crossovers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts