Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,236 Posts

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #162 (Edited)
Ain’t that the truth, a fenderwell intake cost me a motor because of a deep puddle!

You need one of these if you don’t have one. Air Box For Low Mounted Intakes (FWI) Passenger Side

Keeps that filter clean and dry unless you really sink the thing in a puddle.
I just ordered one! Thank you for the rec!

I honestly thought I could get away without it until it was in place and I took a step back. It’s really hard to believe this wasn’t addressed when that intake was designed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
291 Posts
Yeah man I've heard too many stories, and glad you ordered one. What a badass thread and goodluck with everything there's alot of hard work and hours right there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
329 Posts
I just ordered one! Thank you for the rec!

I honestly thought I could get away without it until it was in place and I took a step back. It’s really hard to believe this wasn’t addressed when that intake was designed.

Those intakes scare me. Not sure why they designed it like that anyway... And now they recommend putting socks on fwi filters.. SMH! Why create the problem in the first place? My brother used to work at a honda dealer and every other week he had a civic come in w/ a fwi and catastrophic engine failure. They always tried to say it was honda's fault their engine sucked up water. One customer trying to get his blown engine fixed under warranty even switched back to his factory intake, mechanic found water in intake manifold and blew the customer's grand plan. I think just opening the hell out of the factory headlight hole and closing the filter off from the bay yields much more of a ram effect and just as cold of air. 2 TBSS owners on FB had blown engines from fwi's, one member on here sucked in water but shut engine off just in time. The fwi should be marketed as a track only intake.. not for a DD.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Looks like I’m pulling an all nighter on this thing. The ceiling liner looked good until I had to do a little cutting during install. I’m going to either have to get creative around the “oh shit handles” or do a better job with the detail in those areas. I’ll have to get the seats and head unit in tonight. The suede they sold me for the pillars looks like a dark navy compared to the black so I’m not very happy about that.

I got the 4 channel amp installed and the sub amp will have to wait for the weekend. I have several details in the audio area that need to be tidy’d up but I can address that this weekend.

I know I missed a few things but hopefully the dyno guy is cool with it.

Edit....Tapatalk says I’ve reached my maximum photo upload for the month so I’ll have to switch over to the browser. Stand by.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
163 Posts
So I have ordered Alcantara fabric from several vendors and each is a different shade of black. I got the headliner material from a place on ebay called headliner magic. It looks like it will get the job done but the sample I got for the pillars was a more washed out black so its a no go on that even through it looks like a better material. I will probably just use the headliner stuff on the pillars as well since they don't see any wear action. Thanks for the motivation to tackle this project on my SS.

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
329 Posts
Looks like I’m pulling an all nighter on this thing. The ceiling liner looked good until I had to do a little cutting during install. I’m going to either have to get creative around the “oh shit handles” or do a better job with the detail in those areas. I’ll have to get the seats and head unit in tonight. The suede they sold me for the pillars looks like a dark navy compared to the black so I’m not very happy about that.

I got the 4 channel amp installed and the sub amp will have to wait for the weekend. I have several details in the audio area that need to be tidy’d up but I can address that this weekend.

I know I missed a few things but hopefully the dyno guy is cool with it.

Edit....Tapatalk says I’ve reached my maximum photo upload for the month so I’ll have to switch over to the browser. Stand by.

There are just so many shades of black that it is very difficult to get everything matching.. Like even the difference between the plastdip and the factory black lower is evident.. thats why I had to spray all my lowers, door panels, dash and console to match. Maybe the suede will blend in more with the suede on the seats..

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
291 Posts
Those intakes scare me. Not sure why they designed it like that anyway... And now they recommend putting socks on fwi filters.. SMH! Why create the problem in the first place? My brother used to work at a honda dealer and every other week he had a civic come in w/ a fwi and catastrophic engine failure. They always tried to say it was honda's fault their engine sucked up water. One customer trying to get his blown engine fixed under warranty even switched back to his factory intake, mechanic found water in intake manifold and blew the customer's grand plan. I think just opening the hell out of the factory headlight hole and closing the filter off from the bay yields much more of a ram effect and just as cold of air. 2 TBSS owners on FB had blown engines from fwi's, one member on here sucked in water but shut engine off just in time. The fwi should be marketed as a track only intake.. not for a DD.
Yeah man that's why i just have a badass traditional intake, didn't want to chance anything with the fwi..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #169 (Edited)
Truck is at the dyno shop. It’s been a headache last night and this morning. Temperatures dropped to the low 30’s here in central Florida last night so I was out freezing my ass off till about 3:30 a.m. trying to dial it in and it’s still not there.

I broke the coolant temp sensor off in the head and found a dip stick and tube laying around. Guess I completely forgot to put that in. I told the dyno guy to go through everything as I’m exhausted and just want my truck on the road.

The interior is in and the head unit is ready to drop in. After the final tune, I should have a solid days work getting the stereo finished and she’s done.

We do have one slight problem....hopefully it’s a slight problem or not a problem at all. I put 8 quarts of transmission fluid in the transmission to get it going. When AAA showed to pick it up it would roll forward in neutral but it would not roll backwards. The transmission guy suspects it’s just because the transmission is dry but he also said this is not very common. The tuner is going to get a baseline tune loaded and cycle it to get the rest of the fluid in and go from there.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #170

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,236 Posts
A 4l80 dry after a rebuild should take somewhere between 12-16qts so I would say it’s almost certainly low. Can’t say I know why that would cause it to not roll backwards in neutral though.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
A 4l80 dry after a rebuild should take somewhere between 12-16qts so I would say it’s almost certainly low. Can’t say I know why that would cause it to not roll backwards in neutral though.
Yeah, the transmission guy said to put 8 quarts in it, start it up, park to reverse and turn it off. Top off from there.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
I just went to the dyno shop to check on the old girl as I have not heard back. The tuner was at lunch but the lady behind the counter said she would have him reach out as soon as he got back.
The truck did have air in the rear bags so I assume it was running at some point. Other than that, I’m bummed to say I don’t have much more of an update.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
I spoke with the tuner Friday. He said he was able to get it to start up but it blew off a massive backfire that blew the midpipe off the headers. He said it was probably from the old gas in the tank or possibly a bad ground. He’s wheeling her in the shop next week and going to drain the tank and get some good gas in her and go from there. I wish I had more to update but it’s been a process.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,071 Posts
Id say timing or base map before bad gas, hope its an easy fix at this point.

Sent from my boujea ass phone

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
^ yeah that’s way more likely to be your tuners fault than bad gas.

Who is doing your tuning? Someone extremely reputable?
I kind of thought that but it has been sitting for 4 months now so I’m pretty sure the fuel is bad.
C&H Motorsports in Longwood, Florida is doing the tuning. He has done a ton of LS cars and this project is right in his wheelhouse. He came highly recommended by a lot of the local LS folks.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
946 Posts
Why is it taking so long to get this dyno tune finished? When I got a dyno tune, I was in and out in 1 day. Seems like they might be pulling your chain a little bit. I hope you can get this figured out soon.

2008 TBSS Super Charged

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Why is it taking so long to get this dyno tune finished? When I got a dyno tune, I was in and out in 1 day. Seems like they might be pulling your chain a little bit. I hope you can get this figured out soon.

2008 TBSS Super Charged
I kept bumping the appointment back and that kind of threw a wrench in his schedule. I also dropped it off with a few other issues that needed to be dialed in. He is really backed up with a ton of work so it’s kind of been waiting for room in the bay to open up.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
I’m about over this tuner. I spoke with him today and he said the truck won’t go into reverse and the engine is popping on his base tune like it is out of time. I know for a fact the builder would not do this and it seems like it is in his tune.
I kindly reminded him the truck would not roll backwards in neutral and that I mentioned that when I dropped it off. I’m going to speak with him next week and if I can’t get a straight answer, I’ll have to take it somewhere else to get it tuned. I’m getting the feeling like my old dinged up TBSS just isn’t a high enough paying job for him so it’s not a priority. It’s disappointing because he came highly recommended by quite a few others that have had him tune their vehicles.

161 - 180 of 229 Posts