Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

221 - 237 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
I did not. I’m going to have to do that. I drove a little this morning and it shifted great with no slipping but I do need to calibrate the measurement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,508 Posts
She's sounding great!! The Corsa sounds awesome in it. Nice to see they are still making the Touring mufflers again. I could only find the Sport model when I bought mine back in 2016. Kinda wish I had the touring muffler now, for those cold starts in the mornings. But still love my Corsa! What else is left to do? Tuning?

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #223 (Edited)
Thanks! I scored this one from Summit. They have them in stock. Mine went out of the Atlanta store on Friday and was on my doorstep in central Florida on Sunday. Honestly, it’s pretty loud under acceleration and it makes a clapping noise that drives me nuts. It’s like a reverberation off the exhaust tip that sounds like my exhaust is clapping. I’ll probably have a resonator welded in there somewhere to quiet it down. I like the tone but it’s loud under acceleration.
The transmission issue has been solved. The two speed sensors on the transmission were backwards. It shifts great now and there is no slippage. She surges a bit between 1500 and 2k rpms but that’s just fueling.
I need to get all of the interior back in (A pillar trim and the rear seats), front camera and dash cams along with the sub and sub amp. Then it’s off to the dyno for the final tune. Unfortunately, we just got a mandatory stay in here in Florida so it might be waiting a bit.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Interior is back in and the driver amp is dialed in. I’m hoping to get the sub amp and sub in tomorrow and that should finish up the stereo. I’m almost set for dyno time.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,508 Posts
My Corsa sport makes the same clapping / raspy noise between 2800 and 3200 rpm. It's the loudest at 3k. After 3500 rpm it sings beautifully! Wish they would have thrown in a little sound packing material.

I would imagine your surging can be fixed with the final tuning.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Thankfully I’m not the only one that hears it. It sounds like some worn out 5.3 with straight pipes. I was expecting a little better sound for the cost of this exhaust to be honest. Hopefully cats or a resonator will fix that.
I’m 99% sure the surging can be fixed in the tune.

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,645 Posts
I have never run one, but I have also heard that the Corsa Sport can be a bit raspy at certain RPMs.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,508 Posts
I'm sure the Corsa system flows the best. But with no cats, it sometimes too damn loud. I've contemplated how the Magnaflow catback would sound without cats. But does the Magnaflow flow as much as the Corsa?

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
The Magnaflow has a resonator then a muffler where the Corsa is a straight through muffler. I drove the truck some more today and it really is pleasant to cruise around in. Once you put some foot into it though, it screams.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #230 (Edited)
I got the drivers side blend door actuator replaced today. Not a bad job but my hands are beat to shit. After this I went and got the A/C charged and she blows colder than she ever has. I’m noticing a spike in coolant temps though which kind of worry me.
Prior to running the A/C, I was getting 187* at the lowest cruising around town. The right side fan is on as soon as the ignition is on. In stop and go traffic, she gets up to 197*. The hottest I have seen is 216*. After the A/C was charged, the second fan still hasn’t come on. Cruising around town with the A/C on, it would fluctuate between 207*-216*. At a few stoplights it got up to 217*-220*. As soon as I started accelerating it would creep to 223*-225* and at that point, I turned the A/C off and the temps went right back down to 197*. I turned the A/C back on after the temp came down and it would fluctuate at 207*-214*. The RC51 would cruise around town all day at 218*-228* and did so for almost 50k miles and never had an issue. Should I be concerned with my coolant temps? Truck has a 160* TStat.
I’m still on the base line tune because of COVID so hopefully I can get the final turn dialed shortly.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
I got fed up waiting on this tuner to get back to work. It seems like every other place I called was taking new business except for the one shop I chose. Haha! I jumped in the truck and took it to the Tampa Bay Area.
The new tuner just called and said he’s got it ready for the dyno. He’s going to pull the old baseline tune and let me know what’s going on. He did say my PCM of NC plug wires were shit. Brand new and 3 of them wouldn’t seat on the plug. He ended up putting new Taylor wires on it and the thing stopped arcing through the plug wires and no misfires.
He should have it on the dyno this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,508 Posts
I got the drivers side blend door actuator replaced today. Not a bad job but my hands are beat to shit. After this I went and got the A/C charged and she blows colder than she ever has. I’m noticing a spike in coolant temps though which kind of worry me.
Prior to running the A/C, I was getting 187* at the lowest cruising around town. The right side fan is on as soon as the ignition is on. In stop and go traffic, she gets up to 197*. The hottest I have seen is 216*. After the A/C was charged, the second fan still hasn’t come on. Cruising around town with the A/C on, it would fluctuate between 207*-216*. At a few stoplights it got up to 217*-220*. As soon as I started accelerating it would creep to 223*-225* and at that point, I turned the A/C off and the temps went right back down to 197*. I turned the A/C back on after the temp came down and it would fluctuate at 207*-214*. The RC51 would cruise around town all day at 218*-228* and did so for almost 50k miles and never had an issue. Should I be concerned with my coolant temps? Truck has a 160* TStat.
I’m still on the base line tune because of COVID so hopefully I can get the final turn dialed shortly.

Depending how warm the day was, 217-220 is running on the hot side. Sounds like that 1 fan might not be working at all. Which fans are you running? LS1 or Spal? Try swapping the plug wires between the 2 fans and see if the other ones kicks on? This would rule out of the fan motor is bad or its a wiring/relay issue.

Lately I've noticed that sometimes the rear passenger vents will blow warm-ish air while the front vents are blowing ice cold. I'm wondering if I need to replace the drivers or passenger blend actuators? Not sure which actuators actually control the rear air vents.

I got fed up waiting on this tuner to get back to work. It seems like every other place I called was taking new business except for the one shop I chose. Haha! I jumped in the truck and took it to the Tampa Bay Area.
The new tuner just called and said he’s got it ready for the dyno. He’s going to pull the old baseline tune and let me know what’s going on. He did say my PCM of NC plug wires were shit. Brand new and 3 of them wouldn’t seat on the plug. He ended up putting new Taylor wires on it and the thing stopped arcing through the plug wires and no misfires.
He should have it on the dyno this afternoon.

Glad to hear you found a better tuner! I liked the PCM wires I had but noticed they were fragile. Even using gentle pressure to remove them sometimes the boots would rip off. Kinda a crappy design if they can't hold together. I switch over to the Accel ceramic wires. They are really nice and I no longer have to use the heat socks with my headers. I thought I heard poor reviews about the Taylor and MSD wires? That's why I went with the accel wires.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #233 (Edited)
Yeah man. I don’t have rear air so I’m pretty sure it just uses the front vent to direct the air to the back seats.
One fan wasn’t coming on. I am running the PCM of NC dual Spal kit. The new tuner called and said the original tuner had C6 programming that wasn’t going to work with both fans. He wiped the file and loaded something else. Now both fans work great! He also flushed the water and Royal Purple Ice I had used and filled it with the Amsoil Dexcool product.
The new tuner said he’s only used the Taylor wires and never had a problem so I trust his judgement.
I’m stoked on this new guy and trying to figure out the etiquette for calling out a bullshit tuner.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
I’m heading down to pick her up. The final numbers...446/461 on a pretty conservative and streetable tune. Apparently she pulls from about 2,5XX up to redline.

I was hoping to see more power but the 4L80 and the stock ported heads on the big cubes seem to be the limiting factors.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,508 Posts
Nice! I think those are some good numbers. Could get more with bigger ported heads and bigger cam. But see how she drives. Might be plenty for you.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #236 (Edited)
Nice! I think those are some good numbers. Could get more with bigger ported heads and bigger cam. But see how she drives. Might be plenty for you.

Yeah, this is what the tuner told me. Some good heads and it should wake up even more. It’s a total blast to drive! The big difference is how deceivingly quick it is now. It doesn’t feel explosively uncontrollable or anything like that. It’s just very deceiving how quick it is. This is exactly 100hp more than it made stock with only 160* thermostat and tune (346/360).
I may or may not have surprised an ATS-V on the way home up to about 120 mph. I had no clue how fast I was going until I looked down at the speedo.
It’s also really prevalent how bad the stock suspension robs getting the power to the ground. The truck just feels so squishy and inefficient on acceleration.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #237 (Edited)
A little update...

The truck has about 6,000 miles on it and she runs flawless! 2,8XX of these miles were a trip from central Florida to Indianapolis. I have done two oil changes on her (8XX miles on the motor and 3,3XX miles on the motor) and the break in oil was still red. I cut the filters open and they were really clean. The builder was pumped on the cleanliness of the oil.

The transmission feels like it might have a slight flare on the 1-2 shift under WOT. I am running 14.5 quarts of transmission fluid with the auxiliary cooler. Could be a pressure issue as the Lokar dipstick isn’t very accurate. I might go to Amoco and play dumb so they will pressure test it.

Overall, this thing is an absolute joy to drive! The sound deadening and the audio updates really have changed the enjoyment factor of this truck. So far I have had the pleasure of killing a new Supra, a C6 Grand Sport and a new Giulia Quad from a dig. This truck is a beast from the midrange to the top end. It just pulls so hard! The fuel mileage sucks (~10 mpg’s city/ ~15 highway) but I’m pretty sure it’s because I can’t keep my foot out of it. I can’t drive this thing anywhere without getting thumbs up from others.

I’ll update this post with all of the parts I used to hopefully help others.

221 - 237 of 237 Posts