Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 229 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,236 Posts
Just to be safe have the tuner check the transmission fluid for the coolant. If your running a stock radiator or any radiator with a trans cooler built in, that’s another place the coolant can go.

More than likely it just needs to be bled properly and there is probably an air pocket around the thermostat.

But it doesn’t hurt to check and be sure.

I like that stainless works 3.5” exhaust if I hadn’t gone true duals that’s where I would have gone.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Just to be safe have the tuner check the transmission fluid for the coolant. If your running a stock radiator or any radiator with a trans cooler built in, that’s another place the coolant can go.

More than likely it just needs to be bled properly and there is probably an air pocket around the thermostat.

But it doesn’t hurt to check and be sure.

I like that stainless works 3.5” exhaust if I hadn’t gone true duals that’s where I would have gone.
I’m not using the radiator for the transmission. I installed a stand-alone aux cooler. I left the radiator open. If it was leaking, it would have come out. Haha!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
946 Posts
It’s just one thing after the other. The tuner called me yesterday for an update.

1.) The truck runs great and sounds super healthy. The motor has great compression with no leak down and fires right up.

2.) The thermostat isn’t opening and the truck is getting hot. It’s gone through about 1.5 gallons of coolant and there is no sign of leaking. No smells or smoke coming out of the exhaust and the oil isn’t milky. He’s going to pressure test it and do a toxin test on the coolant. Then pull the thermostat and see if there was an issue when the water pump was put on.

3.) The transmission thinks it’s in park when the PCM says second. I’m going to have towed back to the transmission guy and have him go back through it. He has promised to stand behind his work and said he will be happy to dig back into it and get to the bottom of it.

The tuner said he will have it on the dyno as soon as the transmission is dialed. In the meantime, I ordered a Stainless Works 3.5 inch catback to help calm my nerves. It’s getting close.

These trucks are a pain in the ass to get the air out of the coolant system. I good trick I found was to bleed the air out from the coolant crossover pipe. It’s the highest point in the cooling system. And if you jack the front of the truck up while doing this, it also helped.

2008 TBSS Super Charged

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
These trucks are a pain in the ass to get the air out of the coolant system. I good trick I found was to bleed the air out from the coolant crossover pipe. It’s the highest point in the cooling system. And if you jack the front of the truck up while doing this, it also helped.

2008 TBSS Super Charged
Good info! Thank you sir!

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
329 Posts
It’s just one thing after the other. The tuner called me yesterday for an update.

1.) The truck runs great and sounds super healthy. The motor has great compression with no leak down and fires right up.

2.) The thermostat isn’t opening and the truck is getting hot. It’s gone through about 1.5 gallons of coolant and there is no sign of leaking. No smells or smoke coming out of the exhaust and the oil isn’t milky. He’s going to pressure test it and do a toxin test on the coolant. Then pull the thermostat and see if there was an issue when the water pump was put on.

3.) The transmission thinks it’s in park when the PCM says second. I’m going to have towed back to the transmission guy and have him go back through it. He has promised to stand behind his work and said he will be happy to dig back into it and get to the bottom of it.

The tuner said he will have it on the dyno as soon as the transmission is dialed. In the meantime, I ordered a Stainless Works 3.5 inch catback to help calm my nerves. It’s getting close.

Good choice on the SW 3.5"! Only issue with that exhaust is that it hooks on to whatever single 3" neckdown before opening up to the 3.5" on out. There are a few custom transition pipe makers out there to get a nice dual 3" into single 3.5" Y. I had found them before if you want me to find you links.. Or see if you can find a custom exhaust shop to do the whole shebang.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Good choice on the SW 3.5"! Only issue with that exhaust is that it hooks on to whatever single 3" neckdown before opening up to the 3.5" on out. There are a few custom transition pipe makers out there to get a nice dual 3" into single 3.5" Y. I had found them before if you want me to find you links.. Or see if you can find a custom exhaust shop to do the whole shebang.
I considered it but I’m already balls deep in this project that it’s time to start rolling back the funds. I also just want to get my truck back and start driving again. Maybe down the road but for now, the 3.5” will have to do.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
140 Posts
The steam port block-offs on the rear of the heads plus routing the front steam port outlet down into the heater lines made it difficult to bleed air out of the cooling system. I had to top off, drive, check, repeat to get the coolant moving around at temp and shake out all the air.

I later picked up an FSR radiator and had them weld an extra port to convert to the F-body system, using all 4 steam ports returning to the radiator fill neck. with this setup it self-bleeds just idling in the driveway.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #208 (Edited)
The steam port block-offs on the rear of the heads plus routing the front steam port outlet down into the heater lines made it difficult to bleed air out of the cooling system. I had to top off, drive, check, repeat to get the coolant moving around at temp and shake out all the air.

I later picked up an FSR radiator and had them weld an extra port to convert to the F-body system, using all 4 steam ports returning to the radiator fill neck. with this setup it self-bleeds just idling in the driveway.
I’ve really considered this radiator but like I said, I’m pretty much tapped out from this build.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
I hear you, the radiator is definitely a costly item for the performance. Hang in there and work out the bugs, many of us went through the same crap with much less awesome builds!
Appreciate it! I am going to have her towed back over to the transmission guy tomorrow so hopefully we can get to the bottom of it before the weekend. Thank god for AAA Premier service!

Once I get her up and reliable again and I know the gremlins are gone, I will probably be in a position for the radiator. At least its an easy project.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #211 (Edited)
She’s running. I have a slight exhaust leak with the mid pipe. This is through speed engineering long tubes, cat-less mids and the stock catback.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
946 Posts
Sounds mean. Glad you have worked through all those problems. Now you get to drive and enjoy.

2008 TBSS Super Charged

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Sounds mean. Glad you have worked through all those problems. Now you get to drive and enjoy.

2008 TBSS Super Charged
Not just yet. It is back at the transmission shop getting the final bugs worked out of the 4L80 then it will go back to the dyno for the final dyno tune. Then she goes back up on jack stands for a suspension make over and new brakes.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,071 Posts
Cam sounds pronto.. gonna have to look back and see what you went with.. let us know after the tune how the shifts are and how she pulls.

Sent from my boujea ass phone

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #215 (Edited)
Thanks! The cam is Comp Cams part #54-448-11.

Cam specs- 238/250 605/609 112 LSA
I asked the builder to go with something that performed in the mid to top end of the power as the 4.10’s tend to make this stay a little higher in the revs. I could have gone with something that maybe boosted a little low end power but the gearing and weight of this truck had me focusing on the midrange and top end.

I can’t wait to get this thing on the dyno for the full shake down. I talked to the transmission guy Thursday and he was bumping all of the other jobs to make this a priority. Hopefully he has it figured out this week.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Transmission guy called and the truck is ready. Apparently he was building two different 4L80’s at the same time (one was mine). There’s a pin in there I guess that is different between two of the years and it just so happens that he put the wrong pin in mine which made it not shift. I probably didn’t explain that right but hopefully you get the idea. I’m heading over to get her now and get the interior finished so she can go on the dyno for the final shakedown.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #217 (Edited)
Got the truck back home and a few things. I got the cooling system bled off pretty well. It took a lot of massaging the coolant lines. I also ran it for a few minutes without the radiator cap on it to burp it a bit. This really helped get the final bit of air out of it. She will idle and not get hot, the thermostat is opening up and she gets to 210* and stays put.
The vehicle speed sensor and transmission speed sensor were backwards so now the truck shifts. I had the transmission overfilled by a lot. A lot of people were telling me to put at least 16 quarts of fluid in it because of the transmission cooler. It had 16 in it and it was erratic. I checked it and the fluid was probably a half inch above the full line on the dipstick. I evacuated 3 quarts out of it and just took it around the block again. The transmission is slipping a lot and it keeps jumping back and forth between first and second. When it finally makes the shift to second it feels like it goes back to a neutral then to first. Then it will slip it’s way to second and do this over again. I’m pretty sure it’s still overfilled a little so I’ll get back to it tomorrow. This 4L80e swap has been the biggest headache of this whole project.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
I cancelled the order on the SW exhaust and switched it up to the Corsa Touring. She’s not a drag strip whore so the few HP’s I’ll be leaving on the table are worth it for a better sound. I ordered this thing Friday and it just showed up today.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
I got the Corsa Touring cat back on her and she sounds mean! I have to get these transmission issues dialed and the old girl will be good to go! I think my issues are in my tune but I’ll need to speak with the tuner to confirm.

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,236 Posts
Did you happen to calibrate your dipstick and tube correctly before installing them?

My 80e, tube and dipstick combo is over an inch high on the dipstick when it’s properly filled. The weird part is that it’s all factory parts. The dipstick and tube are meant for a stock 80e application.

201 - 220 of 229 Posts