Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 238 Posts

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
328 Posts
Damn man, sorry to hear this.. seems like even a tuner's reputation is hit or miss anymore... If he can't figure out why your truck isn't going into reverse then he probably has no business tuning in the first place. Good luck buddy!

Reactions: MX763

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Damn man, sorry to hear this.. seems like even a tuner's reputation is hit or miss anymore... If he can't figure out why your truck isn't going into reverse then he probably has no business tuning in the first place. Good luck buddy!
I appreciate it and I agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,517 Posts
Sorry to hear you're going thru all of this. I think everyone has had at one time a bad experience with the aftermarket scene. Do you have HP Tuners? If so you can hit up a remote tuner to get your toon dialed in if you can't find a competent local tuner. I recommend Tim Haines. Great guy to work with and his tune has been solid on my truck.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Sorry to hear you're going thru all of this. I think everyone has had at one time a bad experience with the aftermarket scene. Do you have HP Tuners? If so you can hit up a remote tuner to get your toon dialed in if you can't find a competent local tuner. I recommend Tim Haines. Great guy to work with and his tune has been solid on my truck.
I do not have HP Tuners. It’s almost worth getting and figuring it out. I talked to another tuner here in town and he won’t touch since another guy has already done work to it. It’s almost like these guys don’t want to touch something that is going to make them work. It’s not a pulled ZL1 so it’s out of their wheel house. I’m stressing a little as I have put so much time and money into this thing and now the tuner is flaking.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,517 Posts
I recommend getting HP Tuners and a laptop for yourself. If anything to data log the truck for fine tuning in the days/weeks after the initial tune is done. There's always some fine tuning that's needed to get everything dialed in perfect. Plus to keep an eye on how the truck is running. I tried looking into doing the tuning myself, but beyond the basics there's a huge learning curve to get it just right. So I'd rather leave it to the tuners that do this day in and and out instead of leaving it to chance that I don't blow the motor.

Reactions: MX763

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
962 Posts
I can’t believe you’re having this hard of a time finding a tuner. There should be quite a few tuners close to you in FL. Even if you have to go a couple hours away to get it done, probably be worth it. I take my truck to a tuner/mechanic that’s 3 hours drive away from me. He’s the only one I’ll let work on my truck anymore. @LeftCoast32

2008 TBSS Super Charged

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
I can’t believe you’re having this hard of a time finding a tuner. There should be quite a few tuners close to you in FL. Even if you have to go a couple hours away to get it done, probably be worth it. I take my truck to a tuner/mechanic that’s 3 hours drive away from me. He’s the only one I’ll let work on my truck anymore. @LeftCoast32

2008 TBSS Super Charged
Yeah man. It’s driving me nuts. I talked to the tuner today and he turned it over for me and it sparks but it pops in the exhaust every 100 or so rotations. He said to confirm the part numbers for the cam gear set to make sure a 1X cam gear wasn’t installed. I’m literally beside myself.

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
328 Posts
Wtf? Don't let him touch it anymore!! Get your ride back as soon as possible and away from this jerk-off. Once you do, put his name on blast on the forums here so nobody else gets hosed.

Then use one of the recommended tuners on here... even if its 2 states away.

Reactions: MikeDeez and MX763

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Check that the front O2 sensor banks are reading correct/y when the engine is running. Its possible you crossed those harness plugs when installing the new engine so closed loop is confusing itself.
I’ll have to check that out! Thank you!

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
629 Posts
Check that the front O2 sensor banks are reading correct/y when the engine is running. Its possible you crossed those harness plugs when installing the new engine so closed loop is confusing itself.
I may have done that... :). It was driving me crazy that open loop worked great, but closed loop eventually failed and killed the motor. One side went more and more rich while the other side went more and more lean. Once I understood the source of the problem, the fix was easy.

Tim

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #192 (Edited)
I spoke with the engine builder today. He went over the build sheet and It would appear he installed a Comp Cams 7102 timing kit. This is for the 24t reluctor and mine is an 08 with the 58t. He is heading over to the dyno shop to install the right cam gear. Not sure how this happened....well I am sure. Someone wasn’t verifying parts when they installed.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
The cam gear kit was swapped out and the truck was taken back to the tuner. The tuner had it running for about 15 minutes and then it died. The tuner said after it died, the starter wouldn't engage and there were no dash lights and no gauges. I think my fuse box and ignition switch will need an inspection. I assume the fuse box will need to be soldered and the ignition switch will need a quick swap. He is going to pull the fuse box today and I will pick it up tomorrow to take a look at it.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I got the fuse box out and torn down. I don’t see any breaks in the wiring but there was a little corrosion. Is this enough to cause random shut off and intermittent start issues?

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,272 Posts
Its certainly possible. I would clean both sides of the contacts apply dielectric grease and recheck for the condition.

May help to actually pull the connector end views and see what those terminals actually go to, that will give you an idea of whether or not you e found your problem.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Its certainly possible. I would clean both sides of the contacts apply dielectric grease and recheck for the condition.

May help to actually pull the connector end views and see what those terminals actually go to, that will give you an idea of whether or not you e found your problem.
I cleaned it up as best I could. I’m going to put this one back together and see what happens. I ended up ordering a new one that I’ll throw in there when it gets here.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,071 Posts
Man i cant wait for a solution to this, this will be a blast to enjoy when its done.

Sent from my boujea ass phone

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #198 (Edited)
Man i cant wait for a solution to this, this will be a blast to enjoy when its done.

Sent from my boujea ass phone
It’s just one thing after the other. The tuner called me yesterday for an update.

1.) The truck runs great and sounds super healthy. The motor has great compression with no leak down and fires right up.

2.) The thermostat isn’t opening and the truck is getting hot. It’s gone through about 1.5 gallons of coolant and there is no sign of leaking. No smells or smoke coming out of the exhaust and the oil isn’t milky. He’s going to pressure test it and do a toxin test on the coolant. Then pull the thermostat and see if there was an issue when the water pump was put on.

3.) The transmission thinks it’s in park when the PCM says second. I’m going to have her towed back to the transmission guy and have him go back through it. He has promised to stand behind his work and said he will be happy to dig back into it and get to the bottom of it.

The tuner said he will have it on the dyno as soon as the transmission is dialed. In the meantime, I ordered a Stainless Works 3.5 inch catback to help calm my nerves. It’s getting close.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
69 Posts
I replaced my water pump, radiator, all the hoses, thermostat and the overflow tank. It took weeks for the system to purge. I was adding coolant every other day to the overflow tank.Finally it settled down and I no longer have to add coolant. I don't know if there an easier way but I just wanted to let you know what I went through with the cooling system.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
I replaced my water pump, radiator, all the hoses, thermostat and the overflow tank. It took weeks for the system to purge. I was adding coolant every other day to the overflow tank.Finally it settled down and I no longer have to add coolant. I don't know if there an easier way but I just wanted to let you know what I went through with the cooling system.
Good info! I figured that’s the issue. Hopefully I have this thing back by next weekend.

181 - 200 of 238 Posts