Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
278 Posts
Be very careful and pay attention. Once you get the new actuator, you will see there is a notch at the end of the actuator gear. That notch must line up perfectly with the notch in the mode door itself. You won't be able to see this as you are installing it because there physically is not enough room. So you will have to line it up with your finger as you slide it into place...
Thanks for the tips, but I still need more info to get started. Which parts am I going to need to order from Greg? Do I just need the mode door? I saw a part number for a sensor, do I need that too? I am also waiting on a schematic from JAY4SPEED because at this point, I don't know exactly where the mode door is even located. Basically, I'm completely clueless here and need simplistic instructions to even get started. Hopefully then I can put together a decent sticky so that anyone else needing this repair won't have to go through all of this.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I know Jay sent the procedure to me, I don't know if I still have it in email...I'll look! The mode door is fine, you just need the actuator from Greg. As I recall, different year trucks had slightly different HVAC systems with different actuators and sensors so have your VIN ready when you call Greg...

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
278 Posts
I know Jay sent the procedure to me, I don't know if I still have it in email...I'll look! The mode door is fine, you just need the actuator from Greg. As I recall, different year trucks had slightly different HVAC systems with different actuators and sensors so have your VIN ready when you call Greg...
Thanks. He already got me quotes for a mode door and sensor kit. So is it the sensor kit that I need then? I you can find the instructions and forward them, I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Your mode door may be sticking, but it's likely that the actuator is all that failed...without a Tech 2, it's hard to fully diagnose until you tear it apart and look...

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
278 Posts
Your mode door may be sticking, but it's likely that the actuator is all that failed...without a Tech 2, it's hard to fully diagnose until you tear it apart and look...
I won't be taking this to the dealer, so no access to a Tech 2. So I likely just need the sensor kit then?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
278 Posts
Can anyone give me directions on this repair? I now have the actuator and I'm going to try to get it done this weekend, but don't even know where to begin taking parts off! Is it behind the center console or under the driver's feet?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
278 Posts
The strangest thing happened today...I got in my truck tonight and the AC was coming out of the upper vents! Has anyone else experienced this? I am assuming it's just intermittent and I already have the actuator, so I'm still going to do the repair eventually.

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
4,146 Posts
It might go out again. But leave it be until it does. The actuator has a feedback circuit to the control head. What happens is that the sweep resistor in the actuator might lose contact once in a while. When that happens, the control head doesn't know where the door is in the case and will default it all the way to one side.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
I feel like such an ass...Since I replaced the Mode Door Actuator, the Driver's Side Temp Actuator seemed to have died. The driver's side would stay at full HOT no matter what I changed the Auto Temp Control to...

I finally ordered the actuator (PN 89018676) and tore the lower dash apart yesterday after work. As soon as I looked up under the dash, there was the "faulty" part...with the wiring harness plug sitting next to it, NOT plugged in! So I plugged it back in and tested everything...what do you know, the little sumbitch worked perfectly now!

I recall unplugging it to make access to the Mode Door Actuator a lot easier. And I proceeded to forget to plug it back in! I sure am glad I make dumb little mistakes like this as opposed to big ones when it comes to the SS!

Anyone need a Driver Side Temp Actuator? Haha! BNIB!:D Just kidding, luckily my buddy at the dealership is letting me return the actuator I didn't need!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
7 Posts
No air comming out the dash vents ....

I'm experiencing the same issues. No air coming out the dash vents ...this problem crept up on me over time ... I was able to cycle thru the settings for air flow and eventually the air would come out the dash vents ... today ... it stopped. Where can I obtain the info, part numbers and procedures, for fixing this problem? Note ... Today I replaced the ignition switch. after that I noticed the air flow problem.

·
I LOVE ( . )( . )
TrailblazerSS
236 Posts
I'm having the same problem !! Help please ?
Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
2006 TBSS
119 Posts
I am having the same issue with only the defrost and floor vents working on both sides. I have a 1ss that does not have adjustable pedals, and the analog dual zone controls...please help!

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,747 Posts
Are there 2 separate actuators or something?

I changed mine-the one behind the pedal BS, and still just vent and floor. Everything is lined up. I tested it and only moves/rotates when chaging the temp. Was a major PITFA to change too!

Got a pic of the actuator your talking about?

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Are there 2 separate actuators or something?

I changed mine-the one behind the pedal BS, and still just vent and floor. Everything is lined up. I tested it and only moves/rotates when chaging the temp. Was a major PITFA to change too!

Got a pic of the actuator your talking about?
There is the mode actuator which changes the vents which the HVAC system is set to blow air our of. Then there is a temp actuator for each side (driver & passenger) that adjusts the temp of the air coming from the vents on the respective side of the truck.

You changed the driver side temp actuator. That is the easy one to change. The Mode Actuator is more of a pain to replace if you have adjustable pedals and Fred Flintstone hands like me...

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,747 Posts
You changed the driver side temp actuator. That is the easy one to change. The Mode Actuator is more of a pain to replace if you have adjustable pedals and Fred Flintstone hands like me...
I did the easy one-WTF! Screw changing the right one-lol.

I might just try it tho-I'm always looking for punishment or make myself look stupid :)

·
Registered
G8 GT
114 Posts
Just got in mine today and I almost certain this is the issue I have.
Can someone email me the instructions? ryanvogelheim @ gmail . com

41 - 60 of 93 Posts