Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Saab 9-7x Aero
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hum/whine from (what sounds like) the front end when cruising at a steady speed. If I let off the gas it goes away, if I put it in neutral it goes away. No noise at low speed or when turning either way.

I changed both front hubs and the noise remains.

I just changed the front diff fluid and the noise seems a bit quieter, but that could be in my mind. The fluid was black, but I didn't see any metal in it.

I bought the truck recently and haven't changed the transfer case or rear end fluid yet..

I havn't checked my carrier or intermediate shaft, but from what I've read they usually don't make noise, just boom and gone.

What does this sound like to you guys?:dunno:

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
90 Posts
I'm actually having the exact same problem in my 2006 tbss awd. i was told a little noise is normal but i know its not.... id love to know if there is a fix. and i have changed all my fluids and believe its my front diff. I'm checking into this thread for sure!

·
Registered
Saab 9-7x Aero
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
re-check the carrier it may need to be change. I had hum from my front diff and found two teeth broke off.

Two teeth broke off your intermediate shaft or carrier? Was the diff ok?

Mine sort of sounds like some noisy offroad tires

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
Need to check your carrier anyway so might as well pop it apart. My thrust washers were already spinning against the housing at 70k miles

Attachments

Reactions: blkcamss

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
And FYI the intermediate shaft is the same on an envoy so grab one cheap somewhere and swap it while you are in there. My splines show wear already also.

·
Premium Member
06 TrailblazerSS
4,726 Posts
Two teeth broke off your intermediate shaft or carrier? Was the diff ok?

Mine sort of sounds like some noisy offroad tires
I change the front diff noise was gone , the old one was make the noise because of the broken teeth.

·
Registered
Saab 9-7x Aero
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Need to check your carrier anyway so might as well pop it apart. My thrust washers were already spinning against the housing at 70k miles
Is there a write up or how to on checking the carrier and intermediate shaft? I've searched before and couldn't find a detailed description.

And FYI the intermediate shaft is the same on an envoy so grab one cheap somewhere and swap it while you are in there. My splines show wear already also.
The 4wd, Awd, or both?

I change the front diff noise was gone , the old one was make the noise because of the broken teeth.
Broken teeth on the gears or where the shafts slide in?

·
Registered
Saab 9-7x Aero
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
broken teeth on the gears. and I got lucky they fell to the bottom the diff and did not do more damage.
Did you buy a new diff or have it rebuilt?

On a side note, I did notice some rotational play in the front drive shaft, is that normal?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
There is some lash/play in all gears, that should be fine.

No write up that I know of. Only half threads on how to mod for gear oil instead of grease. Those photos are of mine just last night so I'm making it up as I go.

I got my intermediate shaft from a 4wd envoy. They are all the same crap. Another reason why they wear out on ours since GM half assed it.

·
Registered
Saab 9-7x Aero
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thinking about just throwing a 4wd transfer case in and going 2wd for now. That way I can pull everything and rebuild at my leisure.

The carrier or the diff would be more expensive than going 2wd for now and this way I won't have the down time.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 3SS
893 Posts
I'm thinking about just throwing a 4wd transfer case in and going 2wd for now. That way I can pull everything and rebuild at my leisure.

The carrier or the diff would be more expensive than going 2wd for now and this way I won't have the down time.
Which 4wd transfer case do we have to switch to?

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts

Swapping out the AWD actuator isn't a big deal. I'd think the headache of swapping the t-case would be worse. Get the actuator and intermediate shaft and for under $500 it's fixed correctly.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 3SS
893 Posts
I just bought shaft and new housing and it was like 384$ from drivetrain America. My noise is still there so just bought a new passenger side axle to see if that helps.

Yeah, I sent it alright.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Show - what's your issue? Same as the original poster? Have to checked replaced wheel bearings? The axle shouldn't cause any humming.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 3SS
893 Posts
Well it growls, like a bad wheel bearing, just on the passenger side, intermittently. I have replaced both wheel bearings, new intermediate shaft, new passenger side carrier housing and packed with the tompac grease and drove it after it was done for about three miles and seemed okay, then got on Jr. On the way home from work and it's back to growling, just straight line driving or when turning left

Yeah, I sent it alright.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts