Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like my right front hub bearing is going out. I hear this light whirling noise around 40-60 mph coming from the front. It is speed sensitive. I can even slightly feel it. Mostly on a left curve turn. When you shift the weight (to the left) off the right side, the sound goes away.

To me, this seems like an indicator of a bad hub bearing. I will be replacing them in pairs of course.

My question is, which brand replacement has shown to have been of the better quality replacement for the OEM hub bearings? Or is the OEM's the best quality known?

~Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines~

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS/65 C10
42 Posts
I put Precision from O'Reilly on mine this afternoon, $160.00, they have a cheaper brand at $ 105.00. Rock auto has some for less but I wanted instant gratification.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
389 Posts
I have had my Timekins, or whatever they are for four years. They have lasted longer than GM ones.

Reactions: pbabyjoker

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was leaning towards Timkens as well, but I had thought someone had mentioned that there was a better American made brand. I knew Timkens used to be made here, but someone mentioned in the past they were now made overseas....idk. Maybe it doesn't matter anymore.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Moog - here is why: the cheaper ones ride the bearing on a flat spot instead of a u shape. All the load is on one tiny portion of the bearing. Go Moog or a similar style bearing (Verify it!) or you will be doing it again in 1-3years.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
Check your AWD carrier and at least grease it while you have that axle out

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,002 Posts
Moog and Timken both made in Korea. Probably in the same factory with the same components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
NOT SLOW, NOT FAST
TrailblazerSS
1,982 Posts
i went with timken

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Check your AWD carrier and at least grease it while you have that axle out
I was actually thinking about purchasing a new AAM carrier unit and just replace it. I know....with my luck, that will be the next part to take a shit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts