Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't looked through all of the threads so please point to a link if this question has already been answered.
Our TBSS has never been used for towing and I have no experience towing with one of these SUVs. What do I need to do to set it up to tow a medium sized 4 axle U-haul trailer? This will be fairly light weight with the total load including trailer expected to not exceed 4000 pounds. My SS has the receiver but no hitch. I found the pigtail for the trailer lights tucked up under the bumper. The owners manual states that one of the wires is for trailer brakes but there is no bias device mounted inside the cabin. I've looked at adjustable ball hitches so I can get the tongue weight and ride height correct (SS is lowered 1"). I also don't see anything concerning a transmission converter lock-out button for towing, do you tow in drive? So what else do I need to do to safely set this thing up to tow a light trailer?
Thank you!

Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
206 Posts
On my 2006 SS I added a Brake Control box under the dash. I don't know where the plug wire goes so I tapped into it and ran a wire up to my control box.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The TBSS does not have a trans cooler OE? That would be ridiculous for a vehicle with a towing package. Nothing would surprise me though when it comes to GM. Will look into brake bias boxes as well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The TBSS does not have a trans cooler OE? That would be ridiculous for a vehicle with a towing package. Nothing would surprise me though when it comes to GM. Will look into brake bias boxes as well.
Negative and the trans is under-specced for the power and weight of the tbss

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that's pathetic. So the SS with towing package is a no-go show boat that can't actually tow anything. May be time to get rid of this poser and find a real truck. Appreciate all the info guys, this has been a real eye opener.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wow, that's pathetic. So the SS with towing package is a no-go show boat that can't actually tow anything. May be time to get rid of this poser and find a real truck. Appreciate all the info guys, this has been a real eye opener.
Plenty of people tow. But you need to take precautions.

#1 being a transcooler that is not currently equipped with one from the factory.

Depending on what you want to tow, you can get up to a 40k trucool unit, lots of people run that and get rid of the hardlines in favor of braided lines. My cooler is about half that size

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,212 Posts
Trans cooler a must, drive in 3 until your at highway speeds, load the trailer evenly, get a raised hitch so the trailer is as close to level as possible, and last I don't think a brake controller is needed. Check the trailer your renting alot of smaller trailers had surge brakes built into the tongue. The controller is more for rv's or car haulers I believe.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 3SS 2WD
333 Posts
The TBSS is rated just under the towing capacity of the 1/2 ton trucks of the same day, depending on where you read...6500 vs 7500. Those had a 4L65. These obviously have the 4L70. Probably a couple hundred thousand 1/2 ton Chevy trucks with 4L65s towing 20' boats around. The TBSS is also a few hundred pounds lighter depending on the trucks cab configuration.

Reactions: BlkGS

·
Registered
129 Posts
Negative and the trans is under-specced for the power and weight of the tbss
This is false. The TBSS does have a trans cooler from the factory, it's a combined unit inside the radiator, which is very common. As far as the trans spec... I wouldn't say it's ideal, but specs do say it should be good at stock power levels.

A trans cooler is still a good idea, but a lot will depend on what, where, and how far you're towing. A one time tow of a 10' uhaul trailer? I'd run with it, just make sure your fluids are fresh. Consistently towing a big rv or boat? Yeah, get a trans cooler.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Don't make rash decision off false information given to you. The tbss is a capable tow platform and can tow just fine stock. Adding a larger trams cooler is a good idea for any vehicle used for lots of towing near capacity, but plenty of people tow without them just fine, especially for short trips, or infrequent towing.

Your uhaul will likely have surge brakes and a 4 pin tow harness, so you'll need a 7 pin adapter to hook to your factory plug. Surge brakes work on their own by sliding the coupler against the hitch ball, pressuring the brake system, so it's self contained.

I'd recommend getting a hitch with a tongue weight scale built in if you're buying new. It will let you check the loading of your trailer to ensure its balanced right. Having adjustable height is also nice to match the truck to trailer.

·
Registered
'07 3SS 2WD
333 Posts
The trucks also would've likely had a taller gear ratio (3.23/3.73:1), a taller tire, and smaller brakes. In reality the TBSS should be able to tow more than the comparable truck.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The SS has a 4L60E trans which is not what I would consider robust enough for this vehicle. The fact that most add trans coolers to tow means GM fell short on that as well. Yes I've read about the 7/4 pin adapter and U-haul surge brakes, thanks for that info. I've looked into the adjustable tongue weight hitches and that looks like a nice solution. I've owned the SS for 8 years and never towed anything with it (obviously) so this is not going to be a frequent event. One-way 400 miles on flat ground with <4000 pound 4 wheel trailer/cargo weight is what I'm looking at doing. Never had a trans issue to date, don't want to start now (the SS has 85k miles on it). May be prudent to just leave it alone and rent a U-haul truck instead.

·
Registered
324 Posts
4l70e, not 4l60. But both are inadequate for the tbss for racing or towing. Not saying a 4l80 is the answer, which many upgrade to. Just that properly built a 4l70 can do well, more importantly a good transcooler helps.

If you’re relying on just the factory rad, youll lose your transmission trying to do heavy work

·
Registered
129 Posts
The tbss isn't technically a 4l60, it's a 4l70, which is a beefed up 4l65, which is a beefed up 4l60. The trans cooler is a benefit, but as I said before, it benefits any vehicle towing. I think the best benefit of the trans cooler is that you can remove the factory one and avoid cross contamination, and it adds extra trans fluid capacity, making the fluid last longer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
4l70e, not 4l60. But both are inadequate for the tbss for racing or towing. Not saying a 4l80 is the answer, which many upgrade to. Just that properly built a 4l70 can do well, more importantly a good transcooler helps.

If you’re relying on just the factory rad, youll lose your transmission trying to do heavy work
Towing a 4000 pound trailer isn't heavy work, lol. If you were towing 7000 pounds every day, that's a different story. But a one time tow of 4k pounds is nothing.

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
914 Posts
A one way trip with a baby trailer will be just fine stock. The factory transmission cooler is built into the radiator. As mentioned above, tow in 3rd not D. I tow VERY regularly and have been with multiple TBSS's since 2012ish.

·
Registered
2007 RWD TVS 1900, E85, TL headers,
46 Posts
I regularly tow both of my boats (approx 3,000 and 5,500 lbs) sometimes 3-4 hours. I bought the truck from my brother who drove it like it was stolen and towed his 6,000-6,500 lbs boat. Still on the factory trans with 150,000 miles. All it has is a pcmofnc trans cooler.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all, very helpful. DJ do you have an extra trans cooler on your red SS? If you can tow a car/trailer with a stock SS with no extra cooler then I'm good. Also you have 315/35 on the rear, what is on the front?

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,448 Posts
I dont tow very much with mine but I do race it now n then and in this TX heat of 100* I went with the FSR radiator which is over twice as big as stock and I made my own stand alone dual trans cooler set up. I never see 200* on trans temp. Most times its 145 up to 180*. Coolant is mostly at 170* unless its 100 out and the AC is on then it gets maybe to 205* city driving. Owned mine for 13+ years as of Sept.
Motor is all forged 365 with cam ported heads, 3200 stall and built 4L70E.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts