Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
06 AWD SS
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an alternative or an add on to the fog light shake problem that we all have. When I was looking for a solution to the constant fog light problem of them going out due to excessive shaking of the bumper I decided to make my own out of some flat stock aluminum that I had laying around.

What you'll need
16" of flat stock aluminum 1 1/2" wide
4 1" x 1/4" screws or bolts
8 washers
4 lock washers
4 7/16 nuts

Tools
If you don't know what tools you'll need maybe you're too retarded to attempt this.
Saw
7/16 wrench
drill with 1/4 inch bit
Screwdriver or wrench for bolt/screw
bench vise or a way to bend the aluminum

OK start out by cutting the aluminum into two 7 1/2" long strips.
Measure down 4 3/8" from the top to where the center of the bend is going to be, mark it and bend it. You might have to rebend the piece for your application or depending on how pefect you want it. A bench vise works great but if you don't have one you can do what I did and drill a hole in your table and beat the shit out of the aluminum with a hammer. The bend on mine is at 90 degrees and the bottom end mountsto the inside of the bumper so you barely see the screw and looks like this (notice the holes are not centered).

The easiest way to get the holes right the first time is to get the piece in place after you've bent it and mark the holes with a marker. Mark and drill the top hole first and mount it to the frame before you mark the hole for the bumper attatchment (so you're dead on). There's a little bit of play in the top mounting spot because it's a decent size hole and using 1/4 inch hardware gives you the play. The holes ARE NOT centered in the bracket, they are a little bit offset hence why you should mount the top and tighten it down before you mark and drill the bottom hole, plus with it mounted on the top you can tell if you need to bend the bracket more.

Here's where you're mounting it. If it looks confusing here it won't be once you crawl under the truck.

Here's where you're mounting to the bumper. Right behind the fog light and just inside the chrome duct and the hole is perfect for the 1/4" hardware.

Mounted up it looks like this.

And a view from the back.

All together it took me MAYBE an hour to make these and that includes going to the hardware store for the lock washers. I've had these on my truck for roughly 3 years and they make the fog light area rock solid.

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS AWD
4,063 Posts
I believe there is a TSB for that. If you go to a dealership I believe they will even install them for you. My 08' already had them when I bought it.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,141 Posts
Nice! I just might need to rob some scrap aluminum from my work and some hardware! Free brackets here i come.:cheers1:

·
Premium Member
06 AWD SS
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe there is a TSB for that. If you go to a dealership I believe they will even install them for you. My 08' already had them when I bought it.
You may be right but when I went to get the brackets from my local Chevy dealer they didn't have any and they said I'd have to pay for them (now why I go thru Greg for any parts I need). I had the supplies, I have the know how and I had a free afternoon so I did it myself and the total cost was about $9.

·
Premium Member
TBSS 3SS
1,991 Posts
I got another DIY project. Thanks to Mike and Luis for the pictures and videos.

:cheers1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts