• no

Votes: 3 27.3%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wonder how many of you guys are purging.

Is there really that big of a benfit from it or more for show?

·
mixmaster
TrailblazerSS
828 Posts
it takes the air out of the lines so you dont get a sudden hit of juice - esp good if you dont have a window switch

·
MOST HATED
Trailblazer SS
3,915 Posts
I never did. Occasionally Id crack open the line in the staging lanes with a wrench, and that was about it. My setup was always really budget, and just on there for fun. If I had been more serious about it, id have dropped the money on putting another solenoid to purge.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,550 Posts
Purging serves a purpose. My motto is do it right or do it twice. :2cents:

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
I don't since I don't have a fire jacket. And if I purge I can't spray

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
Well I purge before I get in the lanes :D

L

·
0 Posts
The only time is before I parked and after turning the bottle off. This way any leaking wouldn't build up in the manifold and then upon restart, have the top of my motor blow off! I ran a window switch but had my PSI gauge right at the solinoids in the engine compartment. If it was showing enough preassure there, all was good. So IMO, no need for purging prior to running.:dunno: My builder ran it for years and is the one who advised me of this. Never once did I have an issue after about 50 bottles, nor did I ever see Rod have any as well. To each their own I guess and what ever makes you feel comfortable

·
Premium Member
2007 Trailblazer SS
1,740 Posts
I have nitrous on two other cars. one car has a small single nozzle kit jetted for just over a 125hp. that car does not have a purge on it, and I dont purge it in any way at all and have not had one issue with it. The other car has a two stage plate system on it. And that car has a purge on it, and it gets used. IMO the smaller the kit the less the need for a purge. And I think there is something to said about nozzle placement, or if its a plate kit.
But, when I put a kit on my TBSS I'll have a purge on it.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never did. Occasionally Id crack open the line in the staging lanes with a wrench, and that was about it. My setup was always really budget, and just on there for fun. If I had been more serious about it, id have dropped the money on putting another solenoid to purge.
Theres is no way to get to my line with a wrench the way I have hidden everything.

The only time is before I parked and after turning the bottle off. This way any leaking wouldn't build up in the manifold and then upon restart, have the top of my motor blow off! I ran a window switch but had my PSI gauge right at the solinoids in the engine compartment. If it was showing enough preassure there, all was good. So IMO, no need for purging prior to running.:dunno: My builder ran it for years and is the one who advised me of this. Never once did I have an issue after about 50 bottles, nor did I ever see Rod have any as well. To each their own I guess and what ever makes you feel comfortable
This was the other reason I ask the question. Ive always turn the bottle off and cracked the fitting to let the pressure off the line and noids.

I think I will just go ahead and get 1 since its just 75.00 bucks for the kit and wiring relay.

·
Registered
08 TrailblazerSS 2wd
597 Posts
Yea purging makes u looks sooo sexy. Lmao. When I first saw this I thought it was about throwing up after eating hahahah.
But yea purge I think is a must as it keeps your system from surging due to air pockets in the line and also I purge my system off after I turn the bottle off so there's not pressure sitting on the seals all the time

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
Ok, I'm not a nitrous guy. But if you have a SEALED system, under PRESSURE, How in the hell do you get air IN it? I could see guys that purge after they are finished/shut down, and have to fill the lines again.......But if you are all set to go at the tree, why purge? Seems like a waste of juice..............:dunno:

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,503 Posts
Ok, I'm not a nitrous guy. But if you have a SEALED system, under PRESSURE, How in the hell do you get air IN it? I could see guys that purge after they are finished/shut down, and have to fill the lines again.......But if you are all set to go at the tree, why purge? Seems like a waste of juice..............:dunno:
Air gets in when you change bottles. Nitrous will turn to a gas in the lines. By purging it out you get liquid nitrous all the way to the solenoids for a better hit. This is why anyone who races with nitrous purges on the line after the burnout.

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
Air gets in when you change bottles. Nitrous will turn to a gas in the lines. By purging it out you get liquid nitrous all the way to the solenoids for a better hit. This is why anyone who races with nitrous purges on the line after the burnout.
That makes perfect sense! Thanks for splainin it!

·
Banned
3,510 Posts
Dont forget for the people who do a ton of datalogging that purging also helps control bottle pressure so you have consistent data from run to run

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
I don't have one now but likely will add one soon. With a smooth progressive you'll still feel the first 1/4 of a second feel funny without a purge. The biggest reason why I want one is to make changing bottles easier!

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,503 Posts
I don't have one now but likely will add one soon. With a smooth progressive you'll still feel the first 1/4 of a second feel funny without a purge. The biggest reason why I want one is to make changing bottles easier!
Every system I have ever owned had a purge. Minimal expense really.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
Yeah, but I like my things as simple as possible. Not to mention I think purging like you see most is a either a redneck or ricer thing! Purge when needed, not half your bottle away!

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,893 Posts
Wet kits need purge imo. I've ran dry kits w/o to help a little with traction on the cheap.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts