Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
how hot is too hot for transmission?

hey, just got my interceptor gauge, today my trans temp got to 201 with some spirited driving. I already have a brake duct tranny cooler, so I was wondering how hot does it have to get before I should be worried?

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
Well.. Mine gets high cause I beat the shot out of it

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Geez I start really watching that gauge when it gets over 200.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
It should never get higher than the engine coolant temp if you still have it looped into the radiator (if you don't, then you should, as water to water cooler in the radiator will keep the exact same temps in both).

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
I have a brake duct mount and I get 220-235 depending on speed cruising on 75 doin 95-100 it's about 220.. Beatin my bitch in torn like 235 cause it's stop n go and not much air flow

·
Premium Member
'08 TBSS 2wd
1,496 Posts
I have a brake duct mount and I get 220-235 depending on speed cruising on 75 doin 95-100 it's about 220.. Beatin my bitch in torn like 235 cause it's stop n go and not much air flow
Do you still use the "stock" radiator cooler too? Those temps sound off to me. I don't have a cooler on my TBSS, and the temps have never gotten over ~210...Even when it was 100* here this summer, towing my boat. I don't even worry about trans temps. Dex VI can handle higher temps than the III. Your trans isn't going to fail just because it gets over 200* on occasion.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
I do, I also live in FL and it's always hot n muggy. When it's 70 out,it's a lot cooler. Like I said I beat the piss out of my truck.. **added** I am reading my aeroforce** if I run a actual temp gauge in the trans it could be alot cooler.. I'm running dex III

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
I do, I also live in FL and it's always hot n muggy. When it's 70 out,it's a lot cooler. Like I said I beat the piss out of my truck.. **added** I am reading my aeroforce** if I run a actual temp gauge in the trans it could be alot cooler.. I'm running dex III
The Dex 6 is better at running cooler. Dex 3 is old school...your shit is high tech, might as well go with the stuff it was designed for.

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
It should never get higher than the engine coolant temp if you still have it looped into the radiator (if you don't, then you should, as water to water cooler in the radiator will keep the exact same temps in both).
I have the stock "cooler" and I consistently run 10* warmer trans wise vs. ECT according to my DH.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
I have the stock "cooler" and I consistently run 10* warmer trans wise vs. ECT according to my DH.
Well, maybe there is a little difference, no big deal. You also have to consider different sensors will have different accuracy, its possible two different sensors could read different temperatures.

I have to figure out how to make the HPT read trans temp one day...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.