Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the stock tune has a low octane table to pull timing in cases where low octane has been used to prevent pinging. Is this true? The reason I ask this is because I am talking to a guy who is thinking about selling his SS and in conversation found out that he has run nothing but regular in his truck since he bought it new. The truck is completely stock and has the stock tune.
Has this caused any damage? What are your opinions? Thanks!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
233 Posts
:iamwithstupid: very interesting. i have wondered this myself.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Yes, the stock tune has timing tables for certain octane gas. The truck is gonna be just fine. Only thing u gain buy using premium is honestly performance unless u use some shitty 87 octane

·
Registered
2008 AWD 3SS
947 Posts
My opinion is he's a ruh-tard :) hehe

But idk the answer to your question. All I know is the manual says don't do it.

·
Me>Matt
6,756 Posts
i wouldnt touch it, anyone that is that cheap to cheap out on gas just makes u wander wat else he cheaped out on with the truck :2cents:

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,710 Posts
If anything he should use 89 once in a while instead of 92. I wouldn't use 87 at all, and I don't.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,550 Posts
Yes, the stock tune has timing tables for certain octane gas. The truck is gonna be just fine. Only thing u gain buy using premium is honestly performance unless u use some shitty 87 octane
I disagree. You will also lose fuel mileage as a car that is designed to run on 93 will get even worse fuel economy on lesser octane. Thus making any money saved at the pump negligable as you will be going more frequently.

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS AWD
4,062 Posts
They Still Make 87 Octane??

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
5,208 Posts
End of thread......lol

I disagree. You will also lose fuel mileage as a car that is designed to run on 93 will get even worse fuel economy on lesser octane. Thus making any money saved at the pump negligable as you will be going more frequently.
Its negligible to begin with. You are saving MAYBE $5-$8 per fillup. For what? To make your truck run like shit and at half capacity, and possibly take the risk of breaking something. Not this guy. Its retarded in my opinion....right up there with people who get 87 octane tunes and put 3.42s in the truck. Why buy an SS only to cut its balls of? Get a regular Trailblazer then......

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,386 Posts
The real thing would be how often did he "get on it" with that low octane. It will pull timing for sure but the effect is worse when stomping on it. Knock? How does it sound when driving it? Did he change oil regularly with Mobil 1? Maintenance records? Kind of a toss up until you research more into it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The truck is in great condition. From talking to him I think he didn't realize what he exactly had. He said he bought the truck because of how good it looked and that it stood out on the lot amongst the other trailblazers. I have not driven it yet...he is still undecided on whether or not he wants to sell.

Thanks for all the opinions!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts