Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I ordered a 3200 stall vig. converter, it should be here in 2 weeks.
My question is for anyone that has pulled the transmission out of a AWD, How hard is it. I will have a 4 post lift by then.
Thanks for any help/tips.

L

·
0 Posts
gm says it would be a 15 hr job on their specs but known to be done in about an hour it you have a godd machanic ability then i would say you would be ok. do you have a tranny jack you can use? are you installing a tranny cooler(a must with a tc) are you intsalling servo's( a really good idea too) have you ever tried removing a tranny before or is this you first time? if this is you first time i would suggest having someone help you that has or have it done the last thing you want to fuck up is your tranny. make sure youy fill the convereter before you install it. good luck you will love that converter i have the same one and it launches awesome and drivablity is great you hardly notice that you have a stall after a week of driving. it will feel loose at first like something is wrong. and when you are on the highway just lightly touch the gas and it will lock up then you can accelerate and it will stay locked up( better gas!!)

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,401 Posts
DIRTY look into the phoenix trans. people are running them here and they are 380 bucks and work great. No probs in mine, joes, the guy doing over 550 whp on his kenne bell tbss also. I allways wanted to go with yank or vigilante but after getting my converter from phoenix trans for 350 bucks im glad i didnt go the other route.

im sure you will be happy with your converter also just putting it out there.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've also got the Phoenix Converter. On my AWD. Greg set it up real sweet. Since you have a lift the job is fairly easy. Real good trans jack will help too. Doing this on jack stands is something I would not suggest, for those that might think of trying it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips.
My Buddy is a Ford tech(sorry for dropping the F-bomb) he does allot of transmission work. I will have him help me. I have worked on many old cars but this is my first new and AWD one. I will have a transmission jack. and I plan on having a local shop go through it to beef it up with servos and all the good stuff. I was debating on torque converters I emailed phoenix trans. and he was very helpful. but I decided to go with the vigilante.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
I'm hoping for a trans proble where the dealer can do a rebuild...and I'll get the manager friend of mine to put an inline 6 converter in it, instead of the V8 converter.

But to answer the question, you have to deal with the transfer case, meaning unbolting the front drive shaft/
Some people just leave the front shaft hooked up and let the crossmember support the transfer case and swing it just enough out of the way to get the trans to squeeze out. (That's the one hour way.)

·
Banned
237 Posts
DIRTY look into the phoenix trans. people are running them here and they are 380 bucks and work great. No probs in mine, joes, the guy doing over 550 whp on his kenne bell tbss also. I allways wanted to go with yank or vigilante but after getting my converter from phoenix trans for 350 bucks im glad i didnt go the other route.

im sure you will be happy with your converter also just putting it out there.
When I called Phoenix they quoted me $580 for the stall..

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,401 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
sorry its the 489 one.
http://phoenixtrans.com/html/converters.html

just tell him 2600-2800 or if you want more tell him if he can do it 2800-3000. if you want a higher one you will have to step up to the 589 one
Wow what a good deal... Thinkn I may just fork out the dough and get one... Norcal how you like your converter? And anybody else that has a phoenix converter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts