Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
TBSS - Duh.
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no, you perverts... not THAT kind of tranny :boff:

Obviously a couple weak points with our trucks is the heat soak and the transmission. When I first bought this thing I thought the HS in the GTO was bad, this is way worse. anyhow, I did a little test this past weekend since I was going to have it up to change my oil..

SS, bone stock, 2230 miles. from dead cold, 10 mile round trip, 6 stop signs and no idiling. engine up to temp in about 4 miles. parked it and waited an HOUR, hood open, up on ramps. engine exterior, y pipe, cats and exhaust were all ambient temperature (about 95*) oil was 115*. Transmission EXTERIOR was 130* the fluid on the bottom of the dipstick was 160* if it was that hot, the fluid must have been extremely hot while running.

old 1994 s-10 blazer. stock everything with a replacement GM trans thats about 40k miles old WITH an aftermarket cooler. truck has 198,400 miles on it. took it the same route 10 mins after i was done driving the ss. popped hood and put it on jackstands. after an hour, the engine exterior and exhaust were ambient. the block itself (cast iron 4.3) was 115*. funny thing about the transmission... it was 95* - bottom of the dipstick was 120*... yea this blazer is lighter and lacks the power, but the SS has supposedly a better 4l60 derived trans (definately better than one from 1994) better fluids, AND better computer control (although not by much:no: )

bottom line is if we want these things to last we need to get this trans temp down. I plan on getting temp gauges in my trucks and doing real time tests, but for right now my IR temp gun readings tell me much. this SS is noticably hotter running, and that does nothing but eat transmissions no matter how good they are built.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
Mine rides between 165-180 cruising and it has only been up to 208 twice while racing up Mt. Rose Highway and out at the strip

·
Premium Member
SS TrailBlaze 06
1,526 Posts
My under-hood temps are much better with GTO electric fans & 160 degree thermostat change. I have the fan set to come on at 180 degree's. I also have the MAF wrapped in 2 layers of silver-backed insolation extending 3" beyond. This is doing a better job then the heat soak mod. I sold it & kept the wrap for less heat soak. I found a great place for getting all the fitting & stuff for a trans cooler. You want to run it after it goes through the radiator then into the cooler with it then running back to the trans.
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=2

·
Registered Abuser
TBSS - Duh.
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, the way it is now isnt going to cut it. especially towing on 110 degree days...

·
The one and only JJ
14,071 Posts
I have same setup as BlindMelon as i have GTO efans and 160 thermostat, but i also had my tranny guy drop in a Hayden Trans cooler. I also monitor it with my Gauge i tossed in the SS hole.

·
Registered
06' TBSS LT2
550 Posts
mine runs at 170f on hot days in traffic, but 155f at idle no matter the weather, the cooler is a big time help, especially with the Vig in there... these trans's run over 210f when beat on only a few times in evencooler weather..STOCK!!! so get a cooler ASAP...

mine never went over 185 even at the track on DR's after the runs..

·
Registered
06' TBSS LT2
550 Posts
I have same setup as BlindMelon as i have GTO efans and 160 thermostat, but i also had my tranny guy drop in a Hayden Trans cooler. I also monitor it with my Gauge i tossed in the SS hole.
off track but.......
you should see the gauge pod I attached to Matts instrument cluster bezel (on the left side of the black plastic bezel, near the Tach) looks factory, i'll snap some pics, really easy to do and it's right in your line of sight..

·
The one and only JJ
14,071 Posts
cooler is always a good thing for these trannys. I jus installed a Hayden one.

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
whats best? A tranny cooler or E-fans? and no not both :)

BTW-MT POCKETS- That girl in your sig is fuckin hott, I mean she has a beautiful face :) hahaha

·
Registered Abuser
TBSS - Duh.
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
both. but if you must get one first, tranny cooler... with a fan :eek:

·
Registered Abuser
TBSS - Duh.
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you can buy them from summit for around $150... I used to solder copper angles to regular coolers but what you can buy is much nicer and almost as cheap.. I WISH I would have patented that idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts