Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
High value stroker build, how to?

My ls2 is quickly approaching 160K miles.
It's time to start building a replacement motor for my rig.
I'm looking to do a high value stroker forged build.

Does anyone have a proven recipe they would like to share?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
As Jake said you have to give more details on your goals and budget.

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
What does "high value" entail? You can throw high end parts at a block and have it get its shit tore open by a junkyard 4.8L all day.

Some more details are needed and some homework on reputable, proven builders.

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,779 Posts
I went forged 403 stroker back in December 2014. I spec'd and bought all my components from Matt -LT1Z- (internals, pistons, cam, gaskets, bolts - anything he sells). Shipped to my door for a great price. I took them to my engine builder and two weeks later I was stabbing my stroker back in my TBSS. I have a little over $3100 in these parts (remote oil filter kit not included - I already had that), plus another $2500 for AFR heads.

[URL=http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/theheder/media/TBSS%20pics/20141125_172418_zpsc0kvzibm.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS RWD
1,795 Posts
I've got a complete low milesage 408 stroker spec'd and built by Leading Edge Performance with WCCH Stage III L92 heads I may part with....good for mid 11's all motor in the right setup and DA.

Reactions: Jake747

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What block did you use?
I went forged 403 stroker back in December 2014. I spec'd and bought all my components from Matt -LT1Z- (internals, pistons, cam, gaskets, bolts - anything he sells). Shipped to my door for a great price. I took them to my engine builder and two weeks later I was stabbing my stroker back in my TBSS. I have a little over $3100 in these parts (remote oil filter kit not included - I already had that), plus another $2500 for AFR heads.

[URL=http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/theheder/media/TBSS%20pics/20141125_172418_zpsc0kvzibm.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,779 Posts
What block did you use?
I got lucky and only cracked a single piston under @12 psi of boost so I re-used my stock LS2 block. Honed it out to 4.005 with new forged everything.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any advantages to using an LS3 block?

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,862 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's the best way to acquire a iron block?
Are you guys buying a new block from summit?

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
2,305 Posts
What's the best way to acquire a iron block?
Are you guys buying a new block from summit?
Find a clean seasoned 6.0L long block, and part out what you don't need.

But, you may find yourself saddened by a boosted factory-stockish 4.8/5.3L when it comes to overall expense vs performance.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,862 Posts
LS3 would be my choice

~Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines~

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
LS3 would be my choice

I agree, if I end up doing another motor it will be a forged 416 or 418 with boost.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,862 Posts
I agree, if I end up doing another motor it will be a forged 416 or 418 with boost.
The stock ls3 crank should be good for 800hp & up figures. No need for forged crank. The piston and rods are it. I think a crate LS3 would be perfectly fine. Not certain which specific LS3 engines are considered LSA series or have that DNA. Maybe Matt could speak up here on that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts