Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a stock 07 TBSS. I was driving in town and it stalled. I tried to start it and it would crank normally, but never fire. I found that if I disconnect the battery for a while I can get it to start. The auto parts store read the code: P1682 and advised me to replace the Starter Switch. Easy. I replaced it with a Dorman and all was good. Then...driving on the highway my engine stopped firing. I coasted to the side of the road. I tried to restart and again it spun and never fired. It was like the gas tank was empty. Again, it started after disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes. This happened again before I got it home. This morning it started up fine. I took the TBSS to the Chevy dealer this morning and they said there is no code, so there is nothing they can do. My "road-side fix" cleared the code. I assume it is just a matter of time until it happens again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
08 TrailblazerSS AWD
351 Posts
Kinda sounds like the fuse box under the hood. These trucks are know for those going bad. Normally if the ignition switch goes bad the truck will not turn over, (acts like it’s got a dead battery even though all the electronics work). Search the site here for fuse box. Lots of good post that’ll help you out. Some guys have pulled theirs apart and soldered the broken traces back and have had zero issues afterwards.

Reactions: Dynawolf

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE: the disconnecting the battery trick is not helping. It is heat-related. Opening the hand letting it cool off seems to be the trick. It drives until it warms back up and stalls. But no longer getting the P1682 code. Love my TBSS, but I have been fighting the electronic ghosts for 10 years.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
162 Posts
The post above yours suggested the fuse box. It is heat related and a known problem. I have a spare in my garage for just such problems. As stated this is a common problem with these vehicles. Take out your fuse box from under the hood and pull it apart. Try to fix it or just replace it.

·
Silver Streak
TrailblazerSS
110 Posts
I have a stock 07 TBSS. I was driving in town and it stalled. I tried to start it and it would crank normally, but never fire. I found that if I disconnect the battery for a while I can get it to start. The auto parts store read the code: P1682 and advised me to replace the Starter Switch. Easy. I replaced it with a Dorman and all was good. Then...driving on the highway my engine stopped firing. I coasted to the side of the road. I tried to restart and again it spun and never fired. It was like the gas tank was empty. Again, it started after disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes. This happened again before I got it home. This morning it started up fine. I took the TBSS to the Chevy dealer this morning and they said there is no code, so there is nothing they can do. My "road-side fix" cleared the code. I assume it is just a matter of time until it happens again. Any ideas?

·
Silver Streak
TrailblazerSS
110 Posts
I went through the same experience with my tuner shop. They finally gave up trying to figure it out and they sent it to the dealer which finally after 2 weeks concluded the fuse box was the culprit. There are YouTube videos on repairing this issue. The under hood temps on these trucks get pretty warm which in turns cooks things to an unusable state

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OP HERE: My wife took the TBSS to the dealer. There are other "oldman-truck" minor issues. I will get the old part and have it fixed and have it ready. TBH, my TBSS has 200K on the clock. Replaced the rear suspension with springs after doing bags twice. Rebuilt the transmission. Window regulator. Water pump. Bought it new and still love the truck. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
14 Posts
wow, this is is that common. I have so many tests and have changed so many parts about removing the after-market alarm. fuse box here we go

1 - 9 of 9 Posts