Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello please help did a oil change today while on vacation the mechanic said the plastic oil neck threading was cracked so it does lock in as good . Just now I got a low oil warning light when I drive slow or stop . Could it be that part maybe air going in ? Please help

·
Just a noob
TrailblazerSS
6,206 Posts
Why not check your oil level? Also u should put a peice of cardboard under it over night and see if you have a leak. I've heard hundreds of story's that jiffy lube style oil change places don't tighten up your filter or drain plug and all your oil will seep out.

BEFORE U START IT CHECK THE OIL LEVEL!!!!!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello I didn't know I could screw it directly back on I will try

Mitch thanks will do I hope it's nothing big as I am 2 hours away from home

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
Could even be a bad oil filter...idk. How many miles does it have on it

~Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines~

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I checked the oil and put the cap directly on drove good for about 15 minutes and at a stop the pressure drops and says oil level low shut off engine ??

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Sounds under filled from the last oil change. Considering these need to be over filled to begin with it doesn't sound too good.

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
2,764 Posts
The bracket that holds the AC line might prevent the cap from actually being tightened all the way down. If that's the case, you'll have to unbolt that bracket for now and move it out of the way. They make a shorter filler neck which is what I switched to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
The bracket that holds the AC line might prevent the cap from actually being tightened all the way down. If that's the case, you'll have to unbolt that bracket for now and move it out of the way. They make a shorter filler neck which is what I switched to.

I think it's the heater hose bracket is in the way, but same thing.

I has a ls1 neck on mine for a wile and now that I done heater hoses I'm neckless.

You really need to pull the valve cover off to remove the neck. You can break the plastic tab that locks it on. When it breaks it makes it to the oil pan.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks well moment of truth I will be leaving shortly .. Quick dumb question where should the oil be at on the dipstick ?

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
In or a little above the hash mark

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
2,764 Posts
Mine broke off without losing any pieces. But you can't screw on a new full size neck without taking the valve cover off. The shorty neck was able to barely screw in with the space allowed.

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
2,764 Posts
Any luck?

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
Wow...all this talk about the filler neck and nothing about the real problem at hand. The low oil indicator is odd. I didn't know we had that sensor on these. If you don't do your own oil changes, then make sure you throw in an additional quart of oil on top of their 6 qt fill....or request a 7 qt fill. Tell them you have a slightly bigger oil pan that requires it. Just make sure you get that extra quart. Hell, throw an extra quart of the same oil in it now.

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
2,764 Posts
I believe the low oil warning was for pressure not level. If the cap wasn't on all the way or tight to the valve cover it will throw all kinds of codes. His level was fine. I ran into a similar issue.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
I believe the low oil warning was for pressure not level. If the cap wasn't on all the way or tight to the valve cover it will throw all kinds of codes. His level was fine. I ran into a similar issue.

That's what I was thinking the first time. The cap being loose wouldn't cause low oil pressure at idle. It may throw EVAP codes, but not low oil pressure warning.

I wouldn't drive it until that was fixed. That should be priority... Not some loose oil filler neck...

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Add 2 qts of 20w50 to fill it to the kink in dipstick. This will thicken the oil as when it warms up the light comes on. Always overfill, search billyman oil pan thread. When u start it, 2qts go into circulation leaving you 2qts below full line. I run 8qts in all my trucks with big pan. They hold 9qts to the crank splash pan, and it takes even more to hit the crank. But you have to allow for splash. So 8qrts is what you want as it will always leave you at the full mark on dipstick when running.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
Add 2 qts of 20w50 to fill it to the kink in dipstick. This will thicken the oil as when it warms up the light comes on. Always overfill, search billyman oil pan thread. When u start it, 2qts go into circulation leaving you 2qts below full line. I run 8qts in all my trucks with big pan. They hold 9qts to the crank splash pan, and it takes even more to hit the crank. But you have to allow for splash. So 8qrts is what you want as it will always leave you at the full mark on dipstick when running.
How is that a fix to the low oil pressure indicator? I'm not sure why adding the thick viscosity would be seen as some sort of fix. I've ran 6qts in mine for the first 16k miles and then moved to using 7qts after that. Not once has the low oil pressure indicator come on.

He has a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed. The filler neck isn't it. Adding that thick oil may stop it from happening, but that might be proof that the oil pump is going. But most certainly is not a fix.

Billyman Walter? Not many want to hear his name that remember what happened.

Reactions: Mr_McSwayzee
1 - 20 of 21 Posts