·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what my friend needs help with.

He's building an LS-powered car and has these questions:

"
1. What are the major differences in the LS1 motor as it evolved?

I have read of LS6 parts at a certain point, smaller front dress on certain models, etc. but never a list that clearly defines how the motor evolved as it went.

2. Secondarily, if you jump to LS6, is it worth if in cost or is building an LS1 to that level cheaper?

Goal is high 300/low 400 rwhp in a T56 equipped car.

"

Thanks in advance to any LS guru who can answer these or actually talk with my friend via email or such.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
Buy a junkyard Lq9 or if your lucky a L92/LS3. One of my customers runs a 6.3x @ 105 in a mustang with a LQ9 he paid $600 for and a cam from me, a victor jr, carb, stock heads that have been decked. You can't beat them for the price and can do LS3 heads in the future.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
510 Posts
The real difference are the reluctor (52x and 24x) wheels among the ls motors, which dictates which pcm you can use and slight difference in block design, There are two different head bolts for 2003(some 04 models)and earlier models and 2004 and later models.

What you'll need to converter an ls1 into an ls6 for the most part are:
Ls6 intake $300-$400 used (If you're getting the engine from a 04 Gto you already have the ls6 intake)
243 heads $400-600 used assembled. (Can be had off an ls6 which has sodium filled exhaust valves or off an ls2 with heavier valves)
Ls6 cam $200-500. You can get a used ls6 cam or just get a custom ground cam.

The front accessories will be different depending which car it came off of.

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also think the question of the front accessories is in question here too.

More or less I believe he found a LS1 motor, harness and all, but is unsure of what accessories go with what vehicle..

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts
your best bet is to look aftermarket for an accessory drive that is compact enough for that chassis....

if the gm stuff will work here are the links for what i stock. you will have measurements as well with these links.

the cts or car style set up is

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/Accessory-Drive-with-air-All-LS-Series-Engines-19155066-P1734C198.aspx

and the vette set up is

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/Accessory-Drive-with-air-All-LS-Series-Engines-19155067-P1735C198.aspx

there are photos, and diagrams with measurements as well on those links.

i can get ls1l's in the crate for cheap, and have ls6's in stock for a great price as well with warrantys on both.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
Everything I work on
2,917 Posts
Good lord, you'd think this was the first LS Miata project ever. I can't count the number of them we tuned when I was at RPM. Visit HybridZ forums, flyin' miata, etc.

There were large differences in the engine blocks of the LS1 compared to the LS6. Accessory mounting locations/availability stayed the same after '99.

Moroso makes an oil pan for this swap also.

·
Resident Asshole!
2007 Tahoe
3,708 Posts
Mike, for 16k, he can just have my truck. I'm sure its well more than he needs, and I'm at the point of torching it, and not even bothering taking it out of the garage beforehand.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
2 Posts
More questions

Buy a junkyard Lq9 or if your lucky a L92/LS3. One of my customers runs a 6.3x @ 105 in a mustang with a LQ9 he paid $600 for and a cam from me, a victor jr, carb, stock heads that have been decked. You can't beat them for the price and can do LS3 heads in the future.
No iron.. it's a Miata.

The front accessories will be different depending which car it came off of.
That's one question.. what gives shortest front dress.. GTO? FWD for sure I believe, but that motor won't bolt to the T56... but perhaps some of the parts interchange? Haven't dug up info on that yet.

Mike, for 16k, he can just have my truck. I'm sure its well more than he needs, and I'm at the point of torching it, and not even bothering taking it out of the garage beforehand.
Too expensive, and I already have one POS truck .:)

Burg touted you guys as the know-all source.. and yes, I can spend hours, days, WEEKS searching LS1tech, CZ28, HybridZ, Miata.net, etc etc etc and maybe find some useful info... but, it's so much easier to ask smart people like you guys. who will summarize it in an easy to read format. :) I'm not new to a swap (did two LT1/T56s into a pair of FC RX7 in the last 2 years) so I'm familiar with those sources.. but it takes for-freaking-ever to find info some days.

So far, I've gleaned I want an 02 or newer to get the LS6 intake and a few other goodies, and I don't want 97 or 98 for weak rod bolts.. the deal I found (2850 for a 95k 98 with T56) is gone, but more deals abound on ebay.. just need to know what exactly I am looking for. HP Goal is not much higher than stock, so LS2/6 isn't needed since a cam and headers and a tune will likely get me near what I want. Needed = worth the extra $$$$$$, in this case.. more HP is always good but not at the premium for those motors.

So, what are the different options for the front dress?

Wallyman

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
2 Posts
Well, bought a complete pullout - 06 GTO LS2/T56 with 13k miles that arrived yesterday... still need to figure out the front dress issue, but now I at least have a starting point.

Not sure all what is going to be involved, other than I need a low mount AC and Alt setup, so that's on the list of things to research. Oil pan will have to be swapped, going to use the V8R/FM unit and a remote oil filter and oil cooler.

Next step - buy the kit parts and get deep into research on the wiring and part swaps that needs to happen.

The original question remains tho.. what front dress options are there? I haven't done any measuring of the engine bay yet (too busy to even lift the hood right now), so not much to talk about as far as how much room do I have because I don't know, besides, there's a pesky 4 clyinder in the way anyhow. :)

So, what is the smallest (shortest) front dress setup available that will fit the 06 LS2 block? G8/GTO/Vette/CTS-V? I will have Alternator and AC, but no PS.

Wallyman

1 - 15 of 15 Posts