Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so maybe one or two of you on here know that my tranny shit the bed, FINALLY (or so I thought).

Anywho, quick recap of the story. Driving down the road, not beating on it, Whizz, boom, pop, grind, no forward gears and the truck no longer holds park. (I've owned since new, 2008 AWD 1SS with 135K on the clock). Truck gets towed to local tranny shop (Airport Transmissions, Rochester New York). I was debating on whether or not I wanted to go with a builder from the site (which seemed like a good idea, I just didn't want to deal with the back and forth between the builder (most likely out of state) and the installer god forbid something went wrong), so I chose to stay local. Talked to the shop owner who said he has the experience and know how on these vehicles. He's worked on a few already. (2 winters ago, i did see a black on black one sitting there, which according to Don (Shop owner) was pretty hopped up. So he wasn't worried about working on my truck. Told him exactly what I wanted in the tranny, upgraded sun shell (which he said ours already had a HD one in it...but whatever, Vette servos, HD clutch packs with more clutches, shift kit, new stall (but he told me he wasn't comfortable with going any higher than a 2600, which threw a SMALL red flag, but not enough to cause concern) etc, etc, etc. I also told him to do services on rear and front diffs. He agreed. At this point, I hadn't even asked him about price because quite frankly, I was prepared to spend about 3K on the whole deal. I told Don, that if he approached 2700 for the entire job, to call me. He assured me it would be right about that.

Week #4...today with a rental bill approaching $1500. I get a call from the owner of the shop, who was apparently on vacation. He says he has bad news. No shit????

So they built me a new transmission with all my goodies installed. Reinstalled the tranny in the truck, tried to test drive it...and go figure. Same problem. So he tells me that when his tech went to service the front diff or transfer case, it was empty and all he saw was metal shavings. Soooooo.....for the last month, I've been patiently waiting for my truck only to hear that the transmission wasnt the problem. The owner of the shop then went into some details about there was some pretty significant wear on the clutches and sun shell (sorry if this is the wrong item) and that could have been the issue. Clearly I called BS on that. Told him, that normal wear on a transmission is ok, but for the vehicle to be completely incapacitated by wear was something I was NOT going to by. As of about 10:00AM, he was going to recheck with his techs and call me back with a solution.

Good news: I have a built tranny (even though I have a BS stall in it).
Bad News: I'm pretty sure my transfer case shit the bed.
Worse News: I'm not sure if this guy is going to try and hold me to the built tranny or new tcase or what.

My ask of my fellow TBSS brothers and sisters. Should this deal go south, I would ask that at least 10 maybe 15 of you, completely blast this guys FB page. Feel free to take a peak at my reviews on FB (Airpport Transmissions, Rochester New York). I'm the most recent one....Corey Drain.

Thanks for listening and thanks for the support!
Corey

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
Shaft going through the oil pan.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
640 Posts
You stripped intermediate shaft buddy. Trans was fine. Prob took out the carrier to when you stripped the splines. Your getting fucked because it wasn't properly diagnosed.

·
Registered
06 3SS TBSS RWD
882 Posts
Perfect time to convert to RWD

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Here's an update as of about 15 minutes ago:
The shop owner calls me, tells me that he talked with his tech and that he agreed with his tech in the diagnosis (of course he would) and said that his tech is now positive that the transfer case is going. The owner then offered to install a USED one from Canada that has 44K miles on it. I told him that I didn't have time to give him the yes or no because I was walking into a meeting (clearly just coming here because this is the best fuckin conference room I could ever actually get info out of. So my ask......how should I proceed now? Clearly I'm going to reject the used transfer case but at this point I'm not sure what the fardge to do!
Help please!!!!
Corey

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
5,661 Posts
I don't think it's the tcase....

If they spent an hour or less they could pull the carrier and intermediate shaft and confirm before the removed and replaced the tcase:2cents:

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think it's the tcase....

If they spent an hour or less they could pull the carrier and intermediate shaft and confirm before the removed and replaced the tcase:2cents:
Thanks for the suggestions inline. I'll give this topic about another hour or so, then I'll go give the db owner a call. Sigh...i just want my farking truck back.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK gents...another quick question (apologies but I'm trying to get my notes together on how I'm going to argue my point that if I didn't need a fully built transmission to the tune of about 2700....then they should have correctly diagnosed the issue.)

My question, if the intermediate shaft and carrier bearing let go, can that cause damage to tcase/ front diff? Assuming that this issues was properly diagnosed to begin with, what would the average cost be for a shop to do it? I'm assuming less than building and installing a new tranny.

I've just read some of the post regarding the int.shaft fail/carrier bearing fail, and the symtoms are EXACTLY the same is mine, so I'm now convinced that my newly built tranny, was for naught.

So needless to say, I'm trying to get my ducks in order for a fight.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
5,661 Posts
Depends on what you can find the new parts for? I don't know what the book rate is but it's way cheaper than 2700.00:2cents:

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Inline...your attention to this post and your quick response time is appreciated more than you can imagine.

I'll keep you all posted.
Corey

·
Just a noob
TrailblazerSS
6,206 Posts
This is how shops make money. It's shitty but I'm 100% positive when they were taking your trans apart they had to have seen it wasn't bad enough to cause total failure.

Now they want to replace the whole tcase without knowing exactly what failed? That's just being lazy. I sure hope they weren't that lazy while building your trans.

If I were u I'd find another shop and call a lawyer about your trans. If u get a lawyer involved, even if it's just to send a bs letter, you may get the trans for parts only or something. I wish u luck.

Ps. When the owner told u not to go over a 2600 stall that would tell me he probably has a place he gets cheap ass converters and that the highest stall they have.

Did he even tell u what brand converter you got?

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
Tow your ride AWAY from that place. The tcase and front diff is fine. The intermediate shaft and coupler failed. All accessed on the passenger side. Get far away from that shop while you can. Take it to a place that is familiar with the TBSS. Obviously that place is not. I would argue the point of taking them to court for having you pay for items that were not damaged, but had convinced you that they were, to only to tell you they basically fucked up, and we will continue fucking up because we have no idea what the problem is.
Good luck bro!

~Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines~

Reactions: Corey

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the advice Chevy....I've been having a slightly heated conversation with the shop owner and per HIS request, he asked that we have a face to face meeting on the direction to take with the truck. I'm pretty sure he moved it to next week to stall me. I'm going to do a quick drop in in about 20 minutes to go talk with the techs who looked at it. At this point, I am heavily leaning torwards moving the truck but the guy DID build me a transmission that I sorta drooled over. So who knows....I just want my truck back. I hate sunny days now because I don't have my boooo!
Corey

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
5,661 Posts
Well from just reading the little you posted...sounds like they are trying to work with you. Both of you have limited knowledge how the drivetrain works in the SS.

I think we have all been there before, know what we think is right but not the right answer...

A face to face is probably the best at this point. With the new knowledge you have explain to them why it's doing what it's doing they should get you fixed up soon.

I will be that guy, if you tell them to rebuild the trans and that's what they do... you can't get mad at them for that. Does it suck? Yes but again we all make mistakes.

Again if you find out you need some parts to get you going hit me up :cheers1:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts