Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2007 TrailblazerSS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dash Hawk is reporting my ECT temps commonly between 200-210, sometimes up to 220 degrees. It's been around 100 degrees outside recently. I thought around 210 was normal, but after reading online, most TBSS owners are reporting much lower engine temps. My question...is this a normal temp and if not what can I do to get it down? I have PCMforless efans and tran cooler.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
523 Posts
Simple-engineering/Ron Davis radiator and pcmforless spal fans. Just did this combo myself and it's a great combo. Have you ever changed your thermostat? I had went to a 160 and I think it might have been faulty and causing some of my high temps.

·
Registered
2007 TrailblazerSS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It still has the factory therm in there. I contacted the previous owner, and he said it always ran about 210 for him too. Just seems with the efans it should run lower than that.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
523 Posts
When are you seeing the high temps? At idle or on the freeway? The fans should not have a problem keeping it under 210 at idle but if you are seeing the high temps on the freeway it's because the stock radiator is too small.

·
Registered
2007 TrailblazerSS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mainly after being on the freeway or driving around town. You are right, at idle it'll keep around 200-203, but after coming from work on the freeway it'll jump up around 215 after exiting. Granted, it's been extremely hot down here in Georgia the past month, didn't really notice it until lately. Had a problem with my efans last month, for some reason it burnt the relay and quit working. Replaced the relay and it works now, but still think there is a gremlin in there somewhere.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,012 Posts
Try a 160 thermostat and take some pipe insulation and fill the gap above the radiator between the core support. It will help a little. I have a stroker and its been 95 plus in md I can stay under 220 sitting still with regular old ls1 fans.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
523 Posts
No it's the stock radiator. There just not big enough. In the dry 113 degree weather here I was seeing temps upwards of 220. Coming home from san Diego last weekend I saw temps in the 230's while climbing some of the little grades.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,012 Posts
Which rad did you get the 1.5 or 2 in thick? How much of a difference did it make in your truck?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
523 Posts
I got the one through simple- engineering which I believe is the 1.5. I just finished it around 7 tonight and have not been able to test it on the freeway. I wound up putting a stock thermostat back in it. I was able to get on it pretty hard around my house with the outside temps running around 100' and it got to 212 but came down right away after letting off the throttle. I'm pretty confident I won't have any more issues.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,293 Posts
Mine sits at 210 all the time this summer. I will overheat above 100* air temp with the A/C and not moving. The C6 fan and stock radiator is a bad combo.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
892 Posts
210-220 is fine in the heat. What are your oil temps?

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
Mine sits at 210 all the time this summer. I will overheat above 100* air temp with the A/C and not moving. The C6 fan and stock radiator is a bad combo.
No, it's really not a bad combo...my truck runs a 184-192 all day long with C6 fan/stock radiator/160 thermostat. And we get to 100 degrees ambient quite often!

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS AWD
4,063 Posts
I can't believe how many owners have heat issues. I have the LS1 dual efans installed with my stock radiator and 160* thermostat. Even when towing a 5000lbs trailer in 100* weather, with the A/C blasting I do not go over 198* ECT nor 200* Trans Temp. And that's with the PCMForLess Trans Cooler and Maggie Intercooler/Heat Exchanger in front of my stock radiator. I do run a bottle of the Royal Purple Liquid Ice. Maybe youz should try the same. Only $15.00

·
Some PCM of NC bolton's
9,639 Posts
thats norm. if you want better cooling get with pcm4less spal fan setup and a 160 thermo. no need to get rid of the stock rad.

·
LS2 SUV Owner
TrailblazerSS
1,031 Posts
What's up Wes? Forgot to mention that the truck had the 160* thermostat in it also. I did that and the pipe insulation above the radiator to try and keep the truck a little cooler, but obviously it's not liking the Gawja heat. Now that you know my s/n on here also you can look back at some of my post and the life of the truck pretty much.

·
XPTBSS
TrailblazerSS
4,249 Posts
I can get up to 220 in stop and go traffic. Mine is fine on the freeway. Alot of these guys who don't have cooling issues live in different climates. Down here in Texas our summers will test your cooling system. I plan to get a custom radiator sometime soon. I really think we need more CFM out the fans.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
83 Posts
This heat this summer is taking its toll. My coolant temps are up 10-15* above normal and trans temps are 20* above normal..

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
892 Posts
my tranny temps havent got above 165, I love it :)

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
My transmission cooler fan came on once this summer which means it's only hit 184* one time...and that was heading up the road they hold the Spectre 341 Challenge on...I was chasing 5 road race STi's and one Evo...they never got away once!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts