Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Go Ped
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

There is fluid all over the rear drivers side wheelwell and brakes. It looks like it was coming out between the rear diff and the axle. Hard to tell because i believe the fluid was running down the axle to the wheel and was getting sprayed everywhere.

Diff is not making any noises. Ill have to jack it up tomorrow and see if the diff is empty. How to fix and drive back home 150 miles tomorrow????

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,681 Posts
if its still moving forward and back and not hearing any noise it might just be a seal, i dont know though thats kinda weird. You might have busted some teeth off and may be laying in the bottom of the pumpkin i would pull the diff cover off and check that first.

·
Registered
Go Ped
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If its in the wheel well you have a seal gone bad. You're gonna have to remove wheel and diff cover, remove "c" clip and remove the axle to put a new seal in.
Ok i gotta chase for what i need. Is this what is called the pinion seal? And i assume i will need some dextron ls or similar. Is replacing this seal as simple as you make it sound?

·
Registered
TBSS Black 2006
532 Posts
Is it leaving spots on the ground? Mine looked similar to that, diff cover seal was bad(One of the 14 bolts that holds the cover on was missing) black RTV with no gasket did the trick.

Filled back up with Mobile 1 75w90.

·
Registered
Go Ped
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like it is an axle seal failure. Service dept at the Chevy dealer up here in Kalamazoo, MI was very helpful. Gonna start taking the rear end apart now. Thanks guys ill keep ya posted.

·
Registered
Go Ped
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Looks like my wheel bearing took a shit, heat built up and fried my axle seal sending gear oil all over the back of the truck. Weird thing is it didnt make ANY noise so i drove almost 100 miles on the highway before i got out and saw/smelled all the oil thus frying the shit outta my axle. This fucking sucks. Cant find an axle locally. When i drained the diff not even a quart came out. Lucky that didnt go too.

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
Wow. You are one luck bastard. I can't believe that you didn't fry the entire 14bolt driving it 100miles with almost zero fluid in it. IMO, the axle is the strongest part on our rides but I bet the diff got red hot driving it that kind of distance with less than a quart in it. I would crack into the pumpkin and make sure you spray all of the burnt dif fluid off the locker and the teeth and replace the seal.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,781 Posts
Wow man that sucks. I would pull that differential out and inspect the bearings while youre in there.

·
Old but not Dead Yet!
TrailblazerSS
9,572 Posts
Dang that sucks! Never heard of a Wheel bearing going out with no noise? You were lucky it only messed up the axle.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,453 Posts
Wow. You are one luck bastard. I can't believe that you didn't fry the entire 14bolt driving it 100miles with almost zero fluid in it. IMO, the axle is the strongest part on our rides but I bet the diff got red hot driving it that kind of distance with less than a quart in it. I would crack into the pumpkin and make sure you spray all of the burnt dif fluid off the locker and the teeth and replace the seal.
Uh, how do you think he got the axle out if didn't open the diff.

·
Registered
Go Ped
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My speed sensor looks pretty fried as well. Gonna need one along with a new axel. Sadly im leaving my truck in michigan until i can get these parts. I hate asking for a company truck bc im going to need one again when im getting my procharger installed. My diff looks to be in good shape. Im going to smell like burnt gear oil for days. Time for a bath in fast orange followed by a pinesol rinse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.