Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres a quick synopsis:

Little over two years ago I dropped the SS with belltech adjustable shocks and DJM A arms...had the truck realigned and kept up with rotations and whatnot until last February. While digging out of a severe snowdrift i saw that one of the tires was wearing thru in a spot. So i checked all 4 and saw a couple of flat spots and decided to spring for some new tires. Went out and got the Hankook Ventus RH07's in 275/45/20.

About 6 months later I had my adjustable panhard bar installed, had the tires rotated and got another alignment. Everything seemed great. Until today.

I'm due for my state inspection so I went to Reedman Toll and dropped the truck off. Got a call saying they cant pass my truck because the tires are below minimum tread death. The tires are not even a year old!!

So my question (finally) is this:

How many of the guys running belltech adjustables are running with no spacers and what are you sitting at?? Has anyone else had an issue like this? I haven't been able to get under the truck and examine the tires myself (i picked the truck up at night). I assume this is an alignment issue, but with two alignments and one rotation I am surprised that the tires FAILED and inspection. I assumed there would be some odd wear (I am sitting around 30.5 inches at last check) but nothing like this. I am thinking about taking this up with Hankook as well...I shelled out over $800 for a set of tires i expected to last a couple of years and 11 months later I'm failing state inspections....

Can someone help me out here and explain what I have done wrong? Or are these tires really that shitty??

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,400 Posts
are the tires worn from the insides or outsides only?

do you have the last alignment sheet??? id go back to the shop and get the readings and compare to when they gave it to you last. I've seen shops not tighten the lower a arms all the way and they move slowly out of alignment which is nothing new.

With the djm a arms and at 29.5 you will still align.

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the alignment sheet from when I had the new tires put on in February. The alignment over the summer was done "on the side" as i was getting a couple of other things done at the same time so I do not have paperwork from it. I'm looking to get to shop this weekend to see what the number look like on the rack. I was going to check out the tires this morning, but with a stupid ice storm all over the place I wont be able to.

Should I just re-tighten everything and continue to run no spacers? I dont want to go back up in height but I wont be able to afford tires again in another year...

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,400 Posts
if its off now it will be off when you lift it up

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
soon as it stops raining im gonna get under there and take a look. Right now I'm only going off of what the tech at Reedman told me..my guess is i'm going to see the insides of the tires balding but who knows...

maybe the "alignment" i got wasnt very good...Ive been driving on these shocks now for almost 3 years. I know that even if i raise it back up the alignment would stay the same. Im only thinking that if for some reason a place could not get the alignement done at my current height i would have to raise it up a little bit in order to get an alignment...

im all sorts of lost and confused here...and i want to be able to resolve it before i drop MORE dough i dont have on another set of tires, lol

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS AWD
4,062 Posts
The Problem Is You Moved To PA. Those Tires Would Have Passed In Any NY Inspection Station. :biggrin2:

Good Luck Finding The True Issue.

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol vin, prob thats the reason!!

well, i finally saw the tires this morning. The insides of the two front tires are practically bald. I had the tires installed and the truck aligned on February 13th. In April I took the truck in for an oil change and got the tires rotated as well.

My rears dont look AS BAD but the fronts are horrific and now im nervous driving around on them. I can see the chords under the rubber in a thin strip on the one. I'm taking this back to the Pep Boys that installed the tires and aligned the truck so they can see what it looks like now. They are telling me that the alignment should not have gone out that bad.

Right now the plan is to see what Pep Boys says. I need tires now regardless so I want to see what they have to say. Once my new tires are on i guess I should get a new alignment, then put the truck up and inpect and tighten all suspension components.

Sounds about right?? So i should be ok to remain at 30.5 - 31 inches with my belltechs and DJM a arms, right? I should be able to get aligned properly???

The whole thing makes me ill...I cant believe things went so wrong...i didnt even feel it happening!

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,400 Posts
whoever did the alignment did it wrong plain and simple. Unless you have the arms on the wrong sides which also ive seen people do.

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ill check but ive had those a arms on for almost 3 years now...how can i check that to verify??

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,400 Posts
has it done this before? 3 years were you goin thru tires every 5 months

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no i ran the stock tires for over 2 years with the belltechs and a arms. when they wore out on me i switched to the hankooks, last february.

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,400 Posts
yah alignment

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats what im thinking so im headed to the shop that did it to see what they say...i just wanted to rule out anything else...even when this gets resolved i plan on going under the truck to check everything out. for my own peace of mind, how can i check the a arms to ensure they were installed correctly? im going to check the arms, springs and belltechs to ensure everything is tightened correctly and proper before i ruin another set of tires....

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
shit, not out of the woods yet. went to go pick up the truck and pep boys is telling me that they have a 3rd guy taking a look at the truck to attempt to figure out the root cause. They have already told me they are going to warranty the tires out and give me two new ones. but when we were in there and he was telling me this, only THEN does he realize that I am running 275/45's and says maybe they are rubbing on the spring...is this possible?? Could I have been driving around on tires that were rubbing the springs for the last 11 months???

What is the widest tire that can be run on a truck sitting at around 30.5 up front?? The over all diameter of these tires is 29.8. I just cant imagine that i have been driving on a tire that was rubbing on a spring for almost a year...but they cant find any other issues. They are confused and I am equally confused...

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,400 Posts
lol no its not possible im at 30 inches with 275 45 20 and its fine

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good, so i can rule that out then.

So what the hell could the issue be???? The shop ruled out tie rods, ball joints and alignment. I mean, i think i'll be getting two new tires but i dont want to repeat this issue in another 10 months. Anything else i can checl out that may cause the inside of the front tires to wear so quickly?!?!?!

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,400 Posts
can you post up the alignment sheet they gave you id like to see waht they set it at.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts