Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Suckin' Gas & Haulin' Ass
08 Trailblazer 3SS
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I am having an issue with my HID's...and Greg (TTOF) suggested I swap the bulbs so I can see if it's a bulb issue or something more (grounding, etc).

Is there anyone who has the tools and muscle to help out with this?
I do not want to do this while it's so freaking hot...but I gotta do it soon because my left front is almost dead.

Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
You don't really need tools or muscles to test headlights. Did you swap the ballast from side to side to see if the problem follows? Swap the ballasts and see which side works, if the issue is on the same side it's probably a bulb if it follows it's a ballast. If it was a ground it probably wouldn't work at all.

·
08 Trailblazer 3SS
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My ballasts are bolted on under the engine somehow and I can't get under my truck. I have NO tools ....LMAO I have six ballasts and I have NO idea which one goes to what...nor do I have anyway to unbolt it from the frame.

·
secret squirrel
TrailblazerSS
1,280 Posts
drive on over. i will dooeet.....:cheers1:

·
08 Trailblazer 3SS
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No doubt!!! I do plan on getting my SS in the remaining lower 48 states I have not visited yet....But not anytime soon, will I be in the west coast. :(

Thanks for the offer! :)

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
She will help you with other (things) if you help here with this!

·
Premium Member
07 2WD TrailblazerSS
10,061 Posts
Brandi, I might have some extra bulbs laying around. I can mail them to you, i will tell Anna to ship them if you need them.
All you need is a long flat screwdriver to take out the front grill and then the headlights...

What is it doing ecxactly? they flicker? one is a different color or one just doesnt turn on?

·
Premium Member
Bet you cant tell
6,481 Posts
if you were closer id be able to help

·
Registered
'07' TBSS
73 Posts
where did you get your HID's. i've bought from DDM and had 3 ballasts go bad already... 2 in my ss and 1 in ex's cobalt; water got in one, the others - who knows... ballasts, imo, are much easier to swap to test than the bulbs themselves, and are usually the issue... just sucks you can't get to yours. PA's probly too far to drive for this issue or i'd gladly lend a hand :biggrin2:

·
08 Trailblazer 3SS
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I know I asked this via phone. I can't risk cutting my hands popping this stuff out. If I get an injury to my skin, all hell breaks loose and I am in extreme pain for months. I won't bore with the details but I don't care about getting dirty so long as I don't injure my skin. LOL

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,258 Posts
I've had this happen to me before... The place I bought them from sent me 2 different temperature bulbs... So they sent 2 new bulbs and they matched perfectly! Also, I've noticed some bulbs may take longer to "burn in" than others... I drove around with one purple and one blue for a whole day... The following day, they matched perfectly... I'm thinking they sent you 2 different temperature bulbs..

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,258 Posts
Sorry, did not know that... Easiest thing to do then would be to swap the bulbs like Greg said... Then go from there...

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
One of the two....bulbs or ballasts. The bulb is the easiest to check and repair. Start there first. The xenon gas may be going out/bad in that one.

Good luck. :cheers1:

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS (LT Based)
5,978 Posts
Just bring your truck to my house on Sunday morning, and we can figure it out! See you then.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts