Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 2wd TBSS
9,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few pics here and there where a few drag guys and street guys use header wraps on their converters, now my question is this, In what way does this help a car or truck? I got a bunch of wrap here and might as well use it if there is a positive gain to it?

Striaght answers please I ask cause I wanna know more not cause I plan to do 11's or 9's on the track

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,681 Posts
Are you asking the gains on headers or converter, cause i know with the headers the wrap does work to help dissipate some of the head to run cooler temps, depending what wrap and what brand it is, but the down side is it takes awhile to put on and you have to change it every so often its not something you put on and forget, its more of a pain than what its really worth imo.

·
Premium Member
2wd Turbo
11,126 Posts
Keeps the heat on the inside of the pipe. Like.said above can help head temps. I have ran wrap on a few of my bike exhaust systems. For you it would do nothing .Imo. More a max effort type application then stock add on.
The biggest problem with the exhaust wrap on a street setup if if you ever get caught in rain and the wrap gets wet it rusts the pipe about 600 times faster then not wrapped .:2cents:

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,440 Posts
I had it on my Monte Carlo for years and never had a problem with it. It was nice at keeping heat in the headers/out of the engine bay and you could change plugs without getting burned right after shutting it off. It helps a little with scavenging effect.

·
Premium Member
07 2wd TBSS
9,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't run headers as of now, but I just ask cause again I've seen and heard of few just wrapping the cat converters with the DEI wrap which is what I have but the extreme Lava one and I didn't think it would do much or anything at all!

·
Premium Member
Bet you cant tell
6,481 Posts
never heard of wrapping the converters....ive wrapped most of the vehicles ive owned and i stop at the collectors. unless the converter is attached to the manifolds and/or they're mounted near or in the engine compartment, that would be the only time id think you would wrap the converter.

·
Premium Member
07 2wd TBSS
9,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
never heard of wrapping the converters....ive wrapped most of the vehicles ive owned and i stop at the collectors. unless the converter is attached to the manifolds and/or they're mounted near or in the engine compartment, that would be the only time id think you would wrap the converter.
see that's what has me confused I had a guy from a Hot rod shop buy me out of wrap and he said he need to wrap his converters with it and I had a brain fart on asking why do that for?

·
Premium Member
Bet you cant tell
6,481 Posts
wrapping the converter will cause premature aging and when it gets wet, its going to stink

you dont want to keep the heat in a converter as thats its worse enemy

·
Premium Member
07 2wd TBSS
9,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wrapping the converter will cause premature aging and when it gets wet, its going to stink

you dont want to keep the heat in a converter as thats its worse enemy
good thing I asked before jumping on the band wagon on this one

1 - 10 of 10 Posts