Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test drove a 2wd TBSS yesterday that was in seemingly outstanding condition. Ran great, felt tight and extremely fast for a stock truck - The only thing that I didn't like was how the transmission shifted from 1st to 2nd. I read through the sticky about transmission failure warning signs and it sounds like this could be a bit of a red flag, but I wanted to provide some further details about my exact experience and get some opinions.

When I first started driving, the shift from 1st to 2nd and part throttle (maybe 2/3rds) resulted in a slightly delayed and pretty hard shift. However, when leaving from a stop at light throttle (say 1/4) the shift felt normal and smooth. Then, at WOT, it went to 6k RPM before shifting (without lifting off) and the shift felt pretty hard again, but not necessarily unlike it should, in my mind, at WOT. Everything else, shifting out of park, 2-3, 3-4, downshifts, etc. seemed totally normal. Just that 1-2 shift at part throttle really caught me off guard, and it did every time.

You opinions on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Probably should have made note of this, but I drove two AWD rigs prior to driving this specific truck, and they didn't shift nearly as hard. So, it just seemed out of the ordinary. Is the delayed shift normal too? Only did that once, when it was cold, but still something I want to address.

I've read about something that was referred to as a "slip-bang" 1-2 shift, which is eliminated by certain tunes - Is this possibly what I could have been experiencing?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
254 Posts
Mine dun same thing after a fresh rebuild. So I knew the tranny was perfect. Alvin @ pcmforless clued me into the MAF probably being the issue, I thought it was the TCM & was going to buy 1 from him. That's a stand up vendor rite there, cause he could've let me buy something I didn't need at the time. I replaced the MAF & it has been perfect every since.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine dun same thing after a fresh rebuild. So I knew the tranny was perfect. Alvin @ pcmforless clued me into the MAF probably being the issue, I thought it was the TCM & was going to buy 1 from him. That's a stand up vendor rite there, cause he could've let me buy something I didn't need at the time. I replaced the MAF & it has been perfect every since.
Appreciate the feedback. Did you notice the 1-2 shift ever feeling a little delayed? That's the other thing that concerned me about the one I drove.

·
Hooked on speed
06 Trailblazer SS
3,099 Posts
Stock set up shifts with a lag at mid throttle which sounds like what you experienced. Tune gets rid of that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stock set up shifts with a lag at mid throttle which sounds like what you experienced. Tune gets rid of that.
Thanks for that input. Exactly what I needed to hear.

Well, sounds like there's nothing wrong with it then - Could be the one I buy. It's a silver 2006 with 52k miles and everything but nav and rear dvd for $17,500. I'm going to see if he'll take $16,500 for it and, if so, I'll probably jump on it. Just need to sell myself on the 2WD idea...

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
254 Posts
Appreciate the feedback. Did you notice the 1-2 shift ever feeling a little delayed? That's the other thing that concerned me about the one I drove.
Yea like the other member said the stock shifts are lazy. I want both my computers tuned. When the MAF messed up it made mine goto max line psi to protect the trans from what ever signal it sent in. I would have NEVER gessed that that sensor could mess up so much. Funny thing is, same week I had to replace the MAF sensor on my STI, must'v been something in the air....haha.

·
Hooked on speed
06 Trailblazer SS
3,099 Posts
Looks good mileage-wise. Sounds like it's pretty stock. From what I know you don't get much snow and ice in Seattle so you ought to be okay. Price looks reasonable. Good luck. They're fun trucks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks good mileage-wise. Sounds like it's pretty stock. From what I know you don't get much snow and ice in Seattle so you ought to be okay. Price looks reasonable. Good luck. They're fun trucks.
Yes, it's completely stock. As for snow and ice, we maybe get 10-15 questionable days a year on a "bad" year. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I like to go up to the mountains snowboarding in the winter, so that could be a slight issue. However, I've heard these still do pretty well, even in RWD, with some good snow tires, so I'm still considering it. Plus, the benefits of RWD for the other 340-345 days per year I drive it (not in snow) may out weigh AWD. Less moving parts, better gas mileage, faster, etc... Still, tough decision.

·
Hooked on speed
06 Trailblazer SS
3,099 Posts
As long as 15-16 mpg doesn't scare you away, go for it. I love mine. I pull a small trailer with my two sport bikes in it occasionally and it does everything I need. Puts big smiles on my face, too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think 15-16mpg, especially if we're talking combined city/highway, is extremely good for a performance SUV. Is that what you see with your Vector tune? I've heard some people say they get nearly 20 on the freeway, even AWD guys, once tuned.

I've owned several V8 Grand Cherokees, a couple that were lifted, and I usually got 12-14 combined out of them. In other words, I'm used to not-so-good mileage.

·
Hooked on speed
06 Trailblazer SS
3,099 Posts
Yeah, mine gets just under 15 going back and forth to work on the freeway. On the highway without a trailer it gets close to 17. If I could go less than 80 it might get better. i suffer from lead foot.

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
I own a tuned 06 rwd. I will give you a ride in it if that would help any:dunno:

·
Hooked on speed
06 Trailblazer SS
3,099 Posts
There ya go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I own a tuned 06 rwd. I will give you a ride in it if that would help any:dunno:
Appreciate the offer, and I may take you up on that. How has it treated you gas mileage wise? Also, have you had any experience with it in the snow?

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
My MPGs have gone down lately because I installed the Borla cat back exhaust and I love hearing the exhaust note but I am at 13.5 right now:doh: No snow for mine so I can't help you there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.