Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2000 Olds Bravada with 118k miles on it. The brakes were shot so I pulled the trigger and bought R1 concepts slotted/drilled rotors and posi-quiet ceramic pads. Installed everything and drove it. The brakes were dragging though, so I decided to put on 4 new calipers next, ran into some bleeding issues and ended up popping a seal on the master cylinder. I replaced that and then I still had issues. Threw in the towel and took it to a local shop to take care of it. I ran out of time and patience for it. They found that the rear calipers were installed wrong (exhausted, dumbass me!) and that the front brake lines were collapsing. Now, after all that is said and done.... the brakes are still dragging! WTF.... what else is left in the system? The only brake not dragging now is the drivers rear. The others are all still pretty bad. I cant accelerate worth a damn in it and as soon as I let off the gas the speed decreases immediately. I also found that it won't reverse without pedal effort and it will not move forward on it's own without giving it gas.

So... what could it be... what else is left to replace? Please some one help!!

cliff notes... replaced all major brake components and brakes are still dragging... wtf?:confused:

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
Are your slider pins frozen? Did you change the caliper mounts also?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am pretty positive that I lubed them but I am not completely positive. I dropped the thing back off at the shop and they are going to look at it tomorrow. They swapped the rears around and installed them correctly and the tech said the rear pins were lubed and working. However, the rear hoses haven't been replaced. So that, in itself, could still elude to the possibility of a collapsed rear line.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,012 Posts
So you changed the master cylinder right? If so did you bench bleed the master cylinder before it was installed? The plunger on the brake booster isnt long enough to get all of the air out of it when using the traditional bleeding method. So you have to do it by hand, hence the term bench bleed.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check. Done. The only thing I can think of is a collapsed hose in the rear and my absent mindedness and not lubing the front pins. If those issues are it, then I will be annoyed, but relieved at the same time. If not, I am going to kick rocks.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,681 Posts
I was gonna say that it may be a hose issue i dont know cause i cant see it, but just to check the obvious stuff and im not trying to sound like a ass but are the pads the right pads, cause they can be stock pads but if the rotor changed or if the pads are in fact thicker might have problem there like i said just checking the basics.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Further trouble shooting found the most random thing ever. The booster brake rod seemed to be sticking, holding pressure on the brakes. They put spacers on the master cylinder as a temporary troubleshooting technique and it alleviated the issue. I have the truck back and they did not charge me for the second go around. The owner of the shop is curious about a possible defect in the aftermarket master cylinder and/or if the booster/booster ROD(it appears not to be adjustable) itself is bad and out of whack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts