Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of purchasing a TBSS and need info on the vehicles capabilities in the snow. I will need to drive on-road in snow for a bit of the winter. How does the AWD stack up in winter driving? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Have you found the vehicle capable in winter weather? Thanks so much!

wdb

·
Premium Member
06 RWD Whitey
6,023 Posts
You can drive anything in the snow if you know what you are doing and are patient!

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS
8,344 Posts
I have Blizzaks on 17" wheels and it is unstoppable and amazingly stable.

I hated the stock RS-A's in the snow...I wouldn't personally run them again, BUT guys do----and are fine.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,274 Posts
I drove in the snow a few times wasn't too bad patience is a must! IMO just like any other vehicle.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
414 Posts
winter driving in the chicago winters kinda sucks on the stock RS-As but if you purchase some snow or winter tires for the winter then you should be good to go.

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
970 Posts
I drove mine all year last year. RS-A's suck but it has never let me down. Plus when you're feeling frisky you can turn stabilitrack off and have a gay ol' time

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
65 Posts
only time i had a scare was coming down hill and couldnt stop next year ima have a set of chains for the hilly icy days. . snow was perfect with rsa so far even up hill didnt miss a beat

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
364 Posts
no problem here in a few storms on the rsa's, just had to take my time. She never stranded me though and as mentioned above, off with the stabilitrak for some parking lot fun!

·
Suckin' Gas & Haulin' Ass
08 Trailblazer 3SS
6,103 Posts
I bought my SS in Anchorage AK during the start of Winter of 08. Brand new 9 miles with stock tires. I was able to drive up and down mountains with ice on the roads with no problem in Anchorage, Eagle River, & other various cities in Alaska. Same thing for the flat surface and being able to stop. No problem. In addition to daily driving in AK for the winter, I drove across the country from Alaska to VA in April. April in AK and parts of Canada were winter. I drove four days over ice and snow on paved and non/paved roads up and down all the mountains in Alaska, Yukon, BC, Alberta territory.

So those who say stock tires suck are just impatient drivers who use just a little too much speed and/or slamming the brakes instead of gradual. It can be accomplished with stock tires no problem. Would tires made specifically for ice (or studded tires) be better??? Sure but not a requirement.

Mine SS: 083ss - AWD

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,781 Posts
The stock RSAs are so-so in the winter. I went out and got a hold of 3 spare tires from other tbss guys and ran them last winter and the truck was way way better than the year before.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
52 Posts
The TBSS is my winter car in CO - gets me around fine despite the mediocre RSAs.

·
Premium Member
07 Black TBSS
6,248 Posts
I have Blizzaks on 17" wheels and it is unstoppable and amazingly stable.

I hated the stock RS-A's in the snow...I wouldn't personally run them again, BUT guys do----and are fine.
Couldn't have said it better myself. RSA's suck in the snow. I got studded tires on for the winter, and I have never driven a vehicle that handled better. It puts my father's Ford Excursion with studded Cooper Discoverer M/S's in 4wd to shame. As long as you have snow tires, you are literally unstoppable. You'd rip off the bumper (a guy I know did this) before getting stuck!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I had Blizzaks on my truck for a winter and they're simply awesome. Keep in mind though, AWD will help you accelerate and handle, but it does NOTHING for stopping the truck, that's all tire. If you can swing it, put a good set of winter tires on.

Here's a pic of my truck that I snapped at a gas station after driving almost 200 miles through an ice storm. The tires handled so well I was wondering whether the road was just wet instead of icy. The 50+ cars I saw in the ditch and this pic answered that question in a hurry.

·
Banned
TBSS
11,699 Posts
Drive mine all the time, winter,summer and so on. Never one issue, I have no proplem with the stock tires.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
27 Posts
I've made it through three winters with my AWD SS. The stock RSAs worked well enough for me through the first two winters that I replaced them with another set of RSAs.

That being said...
1) A set of Blizzaks on 17s would handle better.
2) RSAs with no tread left are probably going to suck... I had 40,000 miles on first set of RSAs for the 2nd winter and they worked just fine, but I drove for the conditions.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts