Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
Her name is Beauty
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After one too many ass fuckings...Im done with the apartment industry. I am jobless for the second time in less than six months and cant take it anymore. I have been playing with the idea of going back to school for years. I went to our community college back in 98 for an art degree, but at the time had no idea where it would take me. Back in 98 Graphic Arts were not a well known subject..
In 1997 my senior year of highschool i passed up the oportunity to go to the school of my dreams Art Institute of Houston. I didnt go for numberous reasons, even though I was accepted and had a partial scholarship. Now 14 years later...I am going to open that door again. I already looked into grants and am qualified for two already. And thats just from one site.I need to look up more.
I have no idea how this shit works anymore! I am excited, scared, excited...LOL Im going to take a trip into houston probably sometime this week to talk to a counselor regarding what i need to do to get signed up to start my Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts-Graphic Design. Its a 3 year program.

So here's the question...How many of you are going to school now? What are you studying? Where at? yada yada yada...I know Im not the only 33 year old deciding later in life to continue my education, but knowing what others are going through and maybe getting tips on how to have a family, love life, and everything else life hands you at the same time would maybe make it less scary for me.
Unfortunately this puts some plans on the back burner untill I am completely done with school. But sometimes you have to make certain sacrifices to achieve your dream.
Its been a long time coming...and its going to seem like a long road. But I watched my sister fullfill her dreams in what felt like months! She is now the youngest member of the DEA.
WEll guys and gals...wish me luck. I have some phone calls to make, some research to do on getting the funds to accomplish this, and much more.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS (LT Based)
5,973 Posts
Anna don't be scared, just get ready for the ride. I didn't get my degree (Strayer 2006 - BS Computer Networking) until I had retired from the Navy. I graduated 33 days before my 46th birthday. It was tough at times because I had to learn how to study again, and juggle a fulltime job, while being a fulltime student, and a fulltime dad. Follow your dream, and you'll get it done because you know what needs to be done. Good luck.:cheers1:

·
Premium Member
Her name is Beauty
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Graphic design. I can work at advertising companies, or any big company. They all use graphic artists for ads, promotional material, and much more. Anything from GM, to Disney, to sports. They all use Graphic artists. Oh, and I could teach if i wanted to also. LOL

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
253 Posts
Graphic design. I can work at advertising companies, or any big company. They all use graphic artists for ads, promotional material, and much more. Anything from GM, to Disney, to sports. They all use Graphic artists. Oh, and I could teach if i wanted to also. LOL
Sounds bad ass. Good luck! You should look into interning at an advertising company and get them to pay for some of school

·
Premium Member
07,09 -3SS- Blk,Slv
5,400 Posts
Good luck, it will be one of the best decisions you ever make. I didn't decide to go to college until I was 23 for a BS in Computer Science. I graduated when I was 27. Had I not gone, I'd still be making pennies. The degree itself will open doors (even in fields that have nothing to do with your degree) for you that would otherwise be sealed.

·
Premium Member
Her name is Beauty
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I am officially a new student at the Art Institute of Houston!! Im so stoked its not even funny. Im only taking two classes right now. But i think its perfect to start. And i can bump it up whenever i want.
I went today just to get information and ended up getting financial aid and enrolling before i left. I go back tomorrow to get my schedule and find out what classes exactly i am starting with.
Thanks for the support everyone. I am finally following my dream after 13 years of ignoring it. :biggrin2:

·
Iam sofa king we todd did
tbss
1,145 Posts
My wife does graphic design and loves it. I also know a few people that do it freelance. Get you foot in the door and many doors will open. Also if you have a chance look into web design there could be lots of money to be made.

Good luck stay focused!!!!

·
Premium Member
Her name is Beauty
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jim!!:coolthumb:

·
Premium Member
Her name is Beauty
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wel the first week has been awesome so far. The first class was fundamentals of design. The object was to create 4 pictures by using cut outs of black paper and gluing them onto white paper. It tok me just a few mins to figure out my first topic...tell me if you can see the shapes...I love this project so much i may frame it when i get it back from the teacher. I'm seriously interested in working for some kind of company lik GM or any auto company designing brochures, posters...you name it. I think that right there would be my dream job.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
That is a very creative layout,
I think your life experience (that is a polite way to say "your age")
will be of benefit to you as you start this new chapter in your life. You will probably be a better and more focused student than you would have been right out of highschool. I worked as a graphics artist in 1978-1979, in the "pre-computer" days, and we did a lot of cutting and pasting and then filming to create presentations. I ended up following my dreams and got into the Automotive industry but I wonder sometimes how my life would have been different had I stayed with Graphics. Hang in there, your work looks great so far!:cheers1:

·
Premium Member
Her name is Beauty
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!!:cheers1:
Yea i am super excited. I am so stoked that i just did 6 weeks of research homework in one day today! hahahaha....We were supposed to research certain artist for each week and print out a short biography and some of their work. I spent time to actually create one page presentations on each artist. They look badass.

·
Premium Member
'08 SRX V-6 AWD
2,767 Posts
It's never too late, Anna. (well almost never)
My 46 year old daughter just enrolled in college up in Massachusetts in order to complete her bachelor's degree in business administration.
She's married with two children and presently holds down a job as a grant writer for a local charity program. With the economy being as sick as it is, she wants to have something to back up her twenty years of experience in the field.
Good luck and know your friends here will be pulling for you.:cheers1:

·
Premium Member
Her name is Beauty
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Paul! So far I'm totally rocking it. Im sure it will get harder, but so far the classes are so easy its not even funny!

·
Premium Member
'08 SRX V-6 AWD
2,767 Posts
Thanks Paul! So far I'm totally rocking it. Im sure it will get harder, but so far the classes are so easy its not even funny!
That's what my daughter said last week. I guess the school of "hard knocks" teaches you more than you can appreciate.:coolthumb:

·
Premium Member
Her name is Beauty
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very true. I totally appreciate the work, and what im learning more now that Ive been where i've been.

·
Iam sofa king we todd did
tbss
1,145 Posts
wel the first week has been awesome so far. The first class was fundamentals of design. The object was to create 4 pictures by using cut outs of black paper and gluing them onto white paper. It tok me just a few mins to figure out my first topic...tell me if you can see the shapes...I love this project so much i may frame it when i get it back from the teacher. I'm seriously interested in working for some kind of company lik GM or any auto company designing brochures, posters...you name it. I think that right there would be my dream job.
SHOW OFF!!!!!!!!!

j/k- I am glad you are having fun. Thats makes it a lot more enjoyable. Just wait till you hit the work force.:clap2:

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Just saw this thread.....Good luck with all of it, sounds like fun. I did about the same thing.

I graduated high school early from a top 10 HS in the country at age 17 in 1999. Certainly not "college" ready, so I decided I would take a year off.....ha! Fell 3 stories working construction that same year and was wheelchair bound for months. Recovered fine after some ankle surgeries, and kept working manual labor jobs for pennies. Construction, auto glass, mechanic, you name it, I did it. Met a nice young lady in 2005, got serious, and she convinced me that I was living a dead-end. With all my brains and all I was wasting away.

So I started a business restoring natural stone. Marble floors, granite countertops, you name it. Made a small fortune, and sold the business off for another small fortune. Bought a house, married the girl of my dreams, and went back to making an honest living. I then landed a supervisor job for Boeing, in my hometown, for good money. Finally, at age 27, I decided it was time to get back in school. I am now enrolled in a school to get my Airframe and Powerplant license from the FAA....which could open doors for me all over the world, for super $$!

So I go to school 5 days a week from 7AM - 1PM. I then go to work 2nd shift, from about 2PM until I'm done, usually about 1:30 or 2:00 AM. Then I go home and get a little bit of sleep, then right back to the grind. Work 12 hour days on the weekend. Put 3 semesters behind me living life as a zombie.

At work one day and the wife calls.....pregnant!! WOW! This should be interesting! I now have a 6 week old baby, and am gone from the house about 18+ hours per day, with the wife stuck raising my child by herself essentially. I have since quit working weekends, but the school is still tough.

I have two semesters left, then it's on!

Bottom line.......if I didn't decide to get back into school when I did, with the baby and all, I don't think I ever would have. If you have the means, and the time, GO TO SCHOOL! You never know what it can do for you.

And for you young people, do it when you're young, BEFORE life happens. If you don't, it WILL be harder, that I promise.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts