Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only a few people know that I was almost killed June 8 2009 in an at work accident. Fortunatly I am alive to ask every one what would you do. I will try to make this as short as possible,,,The accident destroyed my back, neck, head, and left shoulder. They performed surgery on my shoulder Dec. 7,2009. They had to completely rebuild my shoulder(AC and Rotator cuff) Now I find out that there is a recall on the components they used in my surgery to repair my shoulder. I have had nothing but problems since the surgery,have limited use out of it and I went through a year of PT. So what would you do? My choices are have another 5 hour surgery or just deal with it for now. What sucks is in 6 months we are relocating to Florida. So that means either staying here, while my wife and step-son go ahead with the move, or moving down with them as planned and hope a doctor can repair my shoulder and KY workers comp cover it if possible. So if you have any ideas please feel free and tell me... Thanks ahead of time for any input....:dunno:

·
Premium Member
07 Imperial 1SS 2wd
2,625 Posts
I would do some research and call some people in FL and see if you will be covered by workers comp or not. I'm sure you could call a few different attorneys to get some advice both in your home state and FL. Good luck

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
06 RWD Whitey
6,023 Posts
If you are going to have the surgery done over? I would have the same doctor do it if you were happy with him. Then I would make sure that workman's comp will not have a problem with you changing physical therapist well into your rehab. If nothing else, have them give you a list of approved physical therapist that will take workman's comp....

If they wont allow the changes after the fact, I would delay the surgery until you you get relocated. This way your surgeon, and pt facilities are all in the same place in the event there are any post surgery issues.

:2cents:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been talking to my attorney and since workers comp is an insurance there may be a problem with changing states. It's about the same as getting in an accident out of state then your auto insurance gives you the run around about coverage. What makes it a little more screwed up is Florida and Kentucky are commonwealths and they make up shit as they go.

·
Premium Member
06 RWD Whitey
6,023 Posts
Quick question that may help with the situation, are you staying with the same company when you relocate?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately since the accident I will not be able to work again!!!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Please tell me that you got disability for Life? & if you did, it doesn't matter where you move, you are covered for Life not for state. :D

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again unfortunately,,my disability was denied. So I have filed an appeal, but my attorney said that it could take another 2-3 years for a hearing. My attorney did say that relocating would not effect my case, cause disability is federal. I would just have to come back to Ky for the hearing, because it was filed in Ky.

·
Registered
07 Black 2WD TBSS
193 Posts
I would find out as much as possible about the recall. I know they will issue a recall because of stupid things like, there was 0.02% too much silicon in the titanium or something along those lines. It is out of spec, so they have to recall it, but in reality it is meaningless.

Now if a doctor you truly trust gives you a good impression that there is a benefit to going through another surgery, then you probably should go for it.

I know someone who had a hip surgery 20+ years ago, and had very restricted mobility and trouble walking. He finally got it looked at and turns out they forgot to remove part of the assy that was supposed to be removed after installation. Now he walks perfectly normal! So you never know. Good luck and hope everything works out for you.

·
Premium Member
06 RWD Whitey
6,023 Posts
Again unfortunately,,my disability was denied. So I have filed an appeal, but my attorney said that it could take another 2-3 years for a hearing. My attorney did say that relocating would not effect my case, cause disability is federal. I would just have to come back to Ky for the hearing, because it was filed in Ky.
Go for SSDI (Social Security Disability Income). Not sure how old you are from Social Security, but an injury of this magnitude age does not matter. It would also appear that applying for disability income, the 3rd time is a charm. Social Security will deny your claim the first 2 times about 90% of the time. After that you retain a lawyers services and then suddenly, the only thing that has changed is their mind from deny to approved!

Its only around 2k a month, but something is better than nothing. Just make sure that you have a good doctor. By good, I mean one that is not on your companies payroll.
One that actually cares about his patients well being.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The SSDI is what i was denied for, so of course we filed an appeal. So I guess I am just waiting for them to figure out if I have to get another surgery and if I am what they see as "disabled". I just know that all of this has sucked, and I would rather be at work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts