Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
'07 TBSS 1SS
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys...I'm seeing a lot of inquiries and seeing a lot of chatter on AWD to RWD conversion. As I've been through the whole transfer cases swapping and building thing, I figured maybe some guys would be interested in a simple solution to the swap.

So here's the original proposal:
Item Description: One piece unit to replace the transfer case. Bolt in installation. No need to drop transmission.
REASONING: 1) Keeps AWD transmission (important if already built up). 2) Keeps rear driveshaft. 3) Quick and easy.
Summary: Now you can perform a quick AWD to RWD conversion by simply removing the front prop shaft. You can remove the front differential and half shafts at your convenience or leave them in there for when winter comes. Selling the AWD components can bring down your total outlay in cost.

UPDATE 3/8/12
NEW DESIGN & Manufacturing process!! Revisited this in greater detail this past week. Getting component pricing together. Here's the tentative pricing and details. Either way the case is going to be "just add fluid" and swap out w/transfer case. 2 year unlimited mileage/abuse warranty. No tuning necessary.

Prices are for Individual Orders
$2350+ S/H : Includes the rear extension with VSS. Should be approximately the same weight as OEM transfer case.
-Rebuilt Trailblazer aluminum case w/New Custom and GM seals & internals. Powder coated finish. Just add fluid and install.*
-Production is 2-3 weeks.*
-Group Buy Price ($2050 SHIPPED CONUS) Minimum 5 takers. Full commitment and payment is needed from ALL 5 before anything moves.*

$2150 + S/H: Does NOT include the rear extension w/VSS cast casing.
-$200 saved because you'll have to swap out your rear extension and VSS.
-Group Buy Price ($1875 SHIPPED CONUS) Minimum 5 takers. Full commitment and payment is needed from ALL 5 before anything moves.*

WHY?:
-Dyno tuning your AWD truck for maximum performance-made easy
-Less parasitic drivetrain loss
-Fun RWD burnouts, powerslides, etc.

INTERESTED PARTIES LIST:

LOOKING FOR NORTHERN NJ AREA AWD TBSS TO TEST CONVERSION ON. PRICE WILL COVER LABOR. LET ME KNOW. I DECIDED AGAINST DOING THE EXTRA ENGINEERING WORK TO FIT MY 6L90 TBSS (PLUS I CAN SPIN THE REAR TIRES ANYHOW)

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,496 Posts
Estimated Cost: Approximately $1500

Item Description: One piece unit to replace the transfer case. Bolt in installation. No need to drop transmission.

REASONING: 1) Keeps AWD transmission (important if already built up). 2) Keeps rear driveshaft. 3) Quick and easy.
I by know means consider myself a mechanic but I do trouble shoot for marine and indusrtrial hydraulic drive applications. I want to see if I understand this, again I don't know what is going on under the TBSS, so bare with my question. The one piece unit (discussed above) is making up a certain distance so you can reuse all other AWD components, more or less a spacer that will allow the tail shaft (sorry if incorrect term) of the trans can go through. So you would take out transfer case and swap in this one piece unit to take up the space of the transfer case?

I would like to understand this, may have some ideas down the road. Then again, it may be over my head.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,293 Posts
ok, but you're still rotating a transfer case + the rear end much like a 4x4 with 2 wheel disengaged. How much parasitic loss would be still be looking at with the front shaft removed?

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts
you will still need a set of front stubs to make it correct...

and you still have the parasitic drag of the front diff and cv axles if left in...

GREAT idea... but its more than just taking out parts...

·
Premium Member
'07 TBSS 1SS
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sounds like a good idea to me who would be making the one peice unit?
The group of suppliers that I have used over the years to design and manufacture the parts in my Trailblazers and GTO's. I honestly hope I can get it closer to the $1k mark, but I'd rather shot high than too low. The actual number of serious buyers will determine the real price.

I by know means consider myself a mechanic but I do trouble shoot for marine and indusrtrial hydraulic drive applications. I want to see if I understand this, again I don't know what is going on under the TBSS, so bare with my question. The one piece unit (discussed above) is making up a certain distance so you can reuse all other AWD components, more or less a spacer that will allow the tail shaft (sorry if incorrect term) of the trans can go through. So you would take out transfer case and swap in this one piece unit to take up the space of the transfer case?

I would like to understand this, may have some ideas down the road. Then again, it may be over my head.
Not quite. The proposed unit would simply replace your transfer case and allow the AWD specific transmission and rear driveshaft to work and function in a RWD application. The other remaining AWD components would be essentially useless.

ok, but you're still rotating a transfer case + the rear end much like a 4x4 with 2 wheel disengaged. How much parasitic loss would be still be looking at with the front shaft removed?
You no long have a transfer case but a direct RWD.

This site kills me some days!:rofl:

Cool idea Jess what kind of power would this handle?:cheers1:
Tell me about it! lol. I couldn't give you an exact scientific figure, but I believe in design overkill. High strength materials, heat treated, ribbed supports designed in if necessary, but as light as possible as material and fluid capacity is weight, right? My engineer will number crunch that.

From my end that means 1) I am targeting 800 lb/ft trucks with drag slicks right off the bad. 2) The first one will be torture tested behind SS. I think stomping on the throttle of a 5000 lbs SS, pulling my other 4500lb "RS" on a trailer, with 14:1 gear multiplication should be a reasonable threshold. I'm more inclined to think you'll blow your rear end first. BUT, if you can actually break it, I'll replace it. Break it a second time and you'll get a full refund....say...I dunno :dunno: 3 years unlimited power-passes-mileage...original owner and vehicle.

you will still need a set of front stubs to make it correct...

and you still have the parasitic drag of the front diff and cv axles if left in...

GREAT idea... but its more than just taking out parts...
True. The drag and weight of those components will still be present until you remove them. But as you already figured out, the point is to get you from AWD to RWD in the least amount of time as possible... with the least amount of work.

Maybe someone needs AWD in the winter but wants to race in the spring/summer. Or for you AWD guys, like me, who don't have local access to an AWD dyno. In a few hours you can get your baby properly dyno tuned on a 2 wheel drive dyno, then hook back up for AWD traction...all within a day.:2cents:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.