Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local mechanic drove my ride and seemed to think it had a hard shift and recommended a shift kit. These guys I have known for a long time and do not try to get people to install things for them to make more money. But I know that no mechanic is always right or knows everything.

So should I put a shift kit in it?

If I do which is best and what all should I do while I'm at it?

Also going to get a bung and want to know what size I should get and where exactly is the safe place to install it? I seen some of the come with different depths.

Is the pan steel?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,679 Posts
My local mechanic drove my ride and seemed to think it had a hard shift and recommended a shift kit. These guys I have known for a long time and do not try to get people to install things for them to make more money. But I know that no mechanic is always right or knows everything.

So should I put a shift kit in it?
Yes
If I do which is best and what all should I do while I'm at it?
You should replace all the servos with billet sonnax ones. Just buy the sonnax shift kit
Also going to get a bung and want to know what size I should get and where exactly is the safe place to install it? I seen some of the come with different depths.
Whats the bung for? Drain or temp sensor?
Is the pan steel?
Yes it is

·
Hater
Duh
9,210 Posts
I'd want to know the cause of the "hard shift" before I started throwing parts at it. A dirty MAF could cause a hard shift. Among other things..
Aside from that the Sonnax shift kit was one of the best things I did to my truck.

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
Sonnax shift kit and billet servos here and by far my most favorite mod..

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
110 Posts
re shift kit

If you install a higher stall converter, or shift improvment package.

Make sure you address oil issues.

Many people have spun bearings as a result of improving the launch and not oil starvation issues.

Including me, rod knocking now deciding to swap in a LS3 or repair this one.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I was looking for a bung for both the drain and the temp. Or buying a pan with them already in it. Who has the transmission parts for the low price? Should I get Aeroforce or stick with the stand alone trans temp sensor?

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
I might be selling my stock transmission pan that has a bung welded into it already at the bottom side of it... I'm running a dedicated trans temp gauge and an aeroforce. That way I can always monitor my trans temp and can monitor other things on the aeroforce gauge.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aeroforce still accurate on trans temp through the odb port? I just need to monitor my trans temp because I tow my jet skis frequently in the summer. Sonnax servos can be put in without removing the whole transmission?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you know if the Aeroforce is accurate through the OBD port? I seen that the pan has a drain plug included but no temp bung. Do you know if there is a hole for the temp bung?

·
Registered
06 3SS TBSS RWD
882 Posts
I have a complete Sonnax shift kit w/ HD 2-3 shift valve and corvette cushion spring thats for sale. Its all brand new in the box and ready to be shipped. Let me know if your interested in it. All you would need then is the sonnax servos and thats it.

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
The servos can be done with the trans installed. I had to remove the crossmember and lower it to get them in and out to measure and set the pin depth.

And the aeroforce is accurate through the obd2 port. From my experience I would see about a 30* discrepancy between the dedicated trans temp gauge and aeroforce. This was likely due to the aeroforce measuring temp somewhere in the valve body or in the trans itself where the dedicated gauge measured it at the bottom of the pan where it has a chance to cool. But believe me, it would definitely tell me when it got over 200*

Reactions: UrbanSS17

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Anyone know if these shift kits prolong the life of the transmission or kill it earlier?
And does that B&M pan hang lower or if you have to modify anything to make it fit?
Where can I buy the whole servo kit so I don't not have to figure out each one I need and risk making a mistake?

·
Registered
06 3SS TBSS RWD
882 Posts
Oregonperformancetransmissions.com has the Sonnax billet servos. I have the complete Sonnax shift kit for sale if youre interested. Its all brand new in the box with a few added parts.

·
Mattmikemark
2006 Trailblazer SS
5,366 Posts
Shift kits typically prolong trans life as they (at least Sonnax kit) replace some plastic parts with billet aluminum & the servo pistons create a better hold on the bands.

I agree with Brian though - a "hard shift" in stock form will not be solved by a shift kit - if anything it will make it worse.

EDIT - The B&M pan does hang lower and would interfere if you have a larger-than-stock Y pipe. I don't think it interferes with a stock one.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
92 Posts
I use torque pro and a bluetooth obdII dongle It's 1/8 the cost of the aeroforce gauger and I can watch 8 things at once and swipe side to side to check other things I have setup. Also get an external cooler. I would tow cars and my trans temp would go any higher than 186 degrees. I know my trailer alone weighs more than a jetski and it's trailer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts