Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im only getting about 11.5mpg average, shouldnt i be at least around 13.5-14 at least? I drive my ss like my grandpa drives most of the time and the gas mileage blows. What would cause such a low number? I have a bone stock 07 AWD. Is there something that could be causing a loss somewhere? Ive now had 2 different MAF sensors on it due to an ieat cai. even putting the intake on didnt make a difference. And I know, it wont help much without a tune but its gotten 11.5mpg avg since i bought it. Any ideas? suggestions?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
686 Posts
mines an 07 2wd and I was getting 12ish around town. I also live in a small town with lots of stop signs and red lights. Now I have a 4" cai, fans, and tune but get high 13 low 14 around town. out on highway its 17-19. get it tuned for the cai and it should get better. Ive also noticed that I get noticable better gas mileage at certain gas stations. Around here I have only 2 stations with 93 but sometimes out of town I get gas and can get around 2mpg better than I do with my local gas.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS
1,061 Posts
I would definately look to get a tune. I just checked mine a couple of weeks ago and I'm getting just over 14mpg.
________
Kitchen Measures

·
Registered
2007 TrailblazerSS
440 Posts
I have 2wd i get about 9mpg

·
Premium Member
'08 SRX V-6 AWD
2,767 Posts
With the cold weather, I am getting 15 mpg driving in town. (reads town, not big city)
My recent trip to Massachusetts netted 18.5 mpg on the highway driving.
My truck is AWD and I was running my stock tune along with my Vector CAI with the heat soak reduction kit.
If possible, I avoid gasoline that has 10% ethanol since it's proven to burn faster.
Of course, one should try to keep from hogging on the throttle if possible.

·
Just Win Baby!
06 BLK SS RWD
2,635 Posts
A lot has to do with the drive itself! I get around 12 mpg but that's because I drive about 2.5 miles to work. I have two stop signs a never get above 30 mph. Just a thought.

·
Registered
07 AWD TBSS
104 Posts
I have an 07 AWD with only a K&N intake and I average between 14-15mpg in town and around 18-20 highway. I drive like a grandpa also.

It seems that stopping and idling really has an effect on the mileage. If I wait in drive thru's it really kills the mileage. That and when I stand on it just for fun.

·
Registered
05 Colorado
300 Posts
A lot has to do with the drive itself! I get around 12 mpg but that's because I drive about 2.5 miles to work. I have two stop signs a never get above 30 mph. Just a thought.
Same here....I drive about 2 miles to work and my DIC reads 12.2....i filled up the tank, reset the mpg and got on the freeway....i drove about 40miles, and my DIC read 14.9mpg..but then again i was driving like i stole it..:biggrin2:

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe I just got really used to my 400hp 1100lbft Duramax pulling an avg of 18mpg and up to 27mpg on the interstate:dunno:

·
Registered
2008 AWD 3SS
947 Posts
Mine runs about 14.7 avg mpg. And I def dont drive like a granny lol (and it isnt tuned)

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so obvioulsy something is causing my TB to get some pretty ridiculous mileage.... Does anybody know what would cause it to get worse than normal mileage and maybe cut away at the power output?

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
Maybe I just got really used to my 400hp 1100lbft Duramax pulling an avg of 18mpg and up to 27mpg on the interstate:dunno:
Ya, a diesel cruising on the freeway runs 40-60:1 AFRs and barely uses any fuel until you stomp the skinny pedal...totally different scenario! BTW, you didn't make 1,100 lb. ft. of torque with only 400whp...not possible on a Duramax...

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
905 Posts
gas milage? come on its an SS! we dont get these type vehicles for the MPG we get them for the HP and MPH...but your cai w/o a tune is probly whats killing our MPG...like what others have said about fuel quality try different stations around your city...i prefer Shell and Sunoco or Mobil. Chevron is good too. Amaco or BP fuel used to be good but since they did the whole spill thing and didnt want to take responsibility for their actions kind of turned me off to them. OR stay AMERICAN with Valero...changed plugs and wires recently? or cleaned the filter or maf sensor?

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya, a diesel cruising on the freeway runs 40-60:1 AFRs and barely uses any fuel until you stomp the skinny pedal...totally different scenario! BTW, you didn't make 1,100 lb. ft. of torque with only 400whp...not possible on a Duramax...
LOL!!!! :boff: I have a vid and the dyno results from 2 pulls. Actual numbers were 367.5hp and 1077.4lbft. On BOTH runs my truck's factory fuel system couldnt keep up so it threw the truck into limp mode. Therefore, I can say that there was definitely more power to be made. I put a new FASS lift pump on it and never had another issue but never got the chance to re-dyno. Let me also say, that this was done on a STOCK TRANS, STOCK TURBO, STOCK INTERCOOLER and STOCK FUEL SYSTEM. There were definitely boltons but nothing special. Another near identical setup to what i had made 450hp and 1150lbft with the lift pump.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
LOL!!!! :boff: I have a vid and the dyno results from 2 pulls. Actual numbers were 367.5hp and 1077.4lbft. On BOTH runs my truck's factory fuel system couldnt keep up so it threw the truck into limp mode. Therefore, I can say that there was definitely more power to be made. I put a new FASS lift pump on it and never had another issue but never got the chance to re-dyno. Let me also say, that this was done on a STOCK TRANS, STOCK TURBO, STOCK INTERCOOLER and STOCK FUEL SYSTEM. There were definitely boltons but nothing special. Another near identical setup to what i had made 450hp and 1150lbft with the lift pump.
That's pretty good torque, but your tuner was loading you up on fuel and your HP numbers suffered clearly. Most of our stock turbo LB7 truck can see upwards of 570whp and 1070lb. ft. but we do all of our diesel tuning with an Innovate LM-3 wideband and actually monitor the AFR's. Something most diesel tuners don't take the time to do...

These are all stock turbo, intercooler, intake, etc. trucks as well, lift pumps are all we do to the fuel system...

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's pretty good torque, but your tuner was loading you up on fuel and your HP numbers suffered clearly. Most of our stock turbo LB7 truck can see upwards of 570whp and 1070lb. ft. but we do all of our diesel tuning with an Innovate LM-3 wideband and actually monitor the AFR's. Something most diesel tuners don't take the time to do...

These are all stock turbo, intercooler, intake, etc. trucks as well, lift pumps are all we do to the fuel system...
I was running a PPE programmer on level 4 out of 7. The lack of useable fuel pressure was what hindered my hp #'s i think. My quarter mile times before the pump was at best a 14.2 but after the new pump my best went to a 13.8. My dyno sheet shows how much of a change happened when the truck went into limp mode. I wish I couldve re-dynoed:doh:

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
You need to have your tuner lock your trans in 4th gear, not 2nd...those numbers are out of what and it looks like a shift spike...notorious in the duramax world, its what tuners do to inflate numbers...Your truck is a solid 375/850+ truck as it sits without the needed fuel system upgrades. Your rail pressure was probably diving below 18,000psi when it went into limp mode, so get the fuel dialed, lock in 4th, and re-dyno it and make over 1,000 legitimate torque!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts