Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it’s primarily when at low speeds like when coming out the driveway down the curb there is a CLUNK CLUNK and almost the feeling of something shifting from side to side..

it feels like a worn bushing maybe i am not sure i replaced the stabilizer links that were indeed shot, but that wasn’t the issue apparently cuz it’s still doing it

i was just wondering what bushings are back there that tend to go out that i could replace i was going to change out the rear control arms but i don’t want to just start throwing parts at it

thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i appreciate the reply i just wanted to hear an opinion i am about to lower the truck so if it is indeed the panhard i will be replacing it soon anyhow

pretty much tomorrow i’m throwing the lowering coils in so i will most definitely be checking for play like you said thanks

·
Super Moderator
TrailblazerSS
1,495 Posts
My lower arm rotted in half didn't know but did exactly what your experiencing.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
TrailblazerSS
1,495 Posts
If your lowered yes you need an adjustable panhard bar. I'm lowered and have 3/4 spacers on the rear and my pass tire hits the fender under hard bumps, if you stand behind the truck you can physically see the rear is shifted right. I bought the bar it's sitting on the floor with the other boxes of parts I'm too lazy to install.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats what i’m saying tho i am already lowered 3 inches in the back and i’m still centered, i stand at the back of the truck and it looks centered to me

keep in mind i have a saab and not the tbss (if that even makes a difference) what i was saying tho is you were right before that noise is my panhard but since my rear axle is not shifted over, do i need the adjustable type panhard or can i just go ahead and just use a stock one??

and damn yours was super rotted wow lol were you driving around like that???

·
Super Moderator
TrailblazerSS
1,495 Posts
you need to measure and not eyeball it.
Agreed, was it centered before you lowered? What fender height are you at in the rear? I'll take some pics of mine in the day to show its pretty noticable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you need to measure and not eyeball it.
haha bro you are totally right and i see it is most definitely NOT centered… thanks
Agreed, was it centered before you lowered? What fender height are you at in the rear?
ya bro you were right the first time. thanks for always helping a brotha out, adjustable panhard it is!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my dude, i totally had to go thru that stage to solve the problem.. to answer your question yes it ended up being the panhard

tbh i didn’t really have a choice but to start throwing parts at it BECAUSE like yourself, i could not for the life of me figure where the hell it was coming from

so i ended up changing driver and pass upper and lower rear control arms, both rear stabilizer links and finally the panhard.. not to mention all the bullshit removing my shocks and examining them and just other dumb shit that took a lot of extra time

my only saving grace was all the parts were really pretty inexpensive and fairly easy to remove and install just remember to hella tighten all that shit down the control arms and panhard if you get to that point

·
Registered
211 Posts
Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the panhard bar? The bushing?

I didn't see anything visibly wrong with mine.

Which parts did you go with? I'm debating between the massive speed systems bars and the spohns. They're basically the same price and the massive bars seem to be a bit more exotic of a piece.

·
Registered
586 Posts

Which parts did you go with? I'm debating between the massive speed systems bars and the spohns. They're basically the same price and the massive bars seem to be a bit more exotic of a piece.
Urethane may need an occasional greasing, but heim joints can develop a clunk and have added nvh. I keep heim joints for the track cars and urethane for the street cars. But the panhard bar itself can go either way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Which parts did you go with?
yes like dude said it’s the bushing, which i don’t think you can’t necessarily see but once those go out it like metal hitting metal

i went with a spohn panhard and oem control arms and stabilizer links.. remember that if your rear is making noises it might not necessarily be the panhard in my case it was but that was after i had replaced other things.. who knows it might be the opposite with yours idk just something to keep in mind

·
Lighter-than-you
550 Posts
The adjustable upper and lower control arms are used to correct pinion angle when lowered. OEM control arms are set-up for stock height.

·
Lighter-than-you
550 Posts
Is pinion angle going to be that far off on 31.5" springs? I feel like there were a ton of lowered tbss without doing the control arms?
It's going to be way off.. at least 2 degrees off. You can't lower a vehicle without changing to different length control arms or by using adjustable control arms to correct pinion angle. Incorrect pinion angle results in damaging pinion bearing and u-joints, potentially causing driveshaft to break free and whip anything in its path.
There are a LOT of tbss owners that do not have the requisite experience to be installing a custom suspension. For some reason this platform attracts inexperienced people that want to do their own modifications. Dangerous! Only someone with suspension experience should be specifying parts and installing them. IE, if you don't own a pinion angle finder, you are not even equipped to begin with.

·
Registered
211 Posts
To be fair, I've seen a LOT of people installing a LOT of suspension lowering kits over years and very few ever go to the hassle of modified control as to correct pinion. Maybe IRS vehicles it's less critical, but even on lowered trucks it's rare to see them.

I ended up going with the massive kit because they'd get here faster. They also have some rear endlinka in the works per talking with the owner, so that's a big us for me as well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
In the spirit of posterity, I installed the massive speed rear link kit to try to alleviate my clunk. No luck, but the rear feels way tighter and awesome. Will probably write up some thoughts on them in a new thread.

Running out of possibilities honestly. The endlinks are suspension maxx, rear bar is prothane, the only other thing I can think of is I put little stoppers on the rear prothane sway bar to locate it... maybe those are my issu?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts