Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm about to get into a pretty significant build (at least for me) that includes:
  • Magnuson TVS1900 supercharger
  • FLT "Level 6" 4l70e transmission
  • Yank Pro 2800 stall Torque Converter
  • New SFI-rated Flexplate w/ARP bolts
  • PCM of NC Duct-mount Transmission cooler
  • PCM of NC Trans, cooler Spal Fan w/thermostat
  • FSR Aluminum Radiator and milled cap
I already have Dual Spal E-Fans, CAI, Battery cable upgrade, TR6 spark plugs and upgrade wires, and Dyno Performance Tune from Cunningham Motorsports

I know many owners are bypassing the stock TBSS transmission cooler in the radiator due to possible coolant leaks and going with a straight up aftermarket cooler only.
That being said, my question is this:
as I am upgrading to a good quality FSR radiator, should I STILL bypass it and go straight through the Duct mount cooler ONLY?.....
....or should I go through FSR radiator too for additional cooling capacity? I can order it with or without the T-cooler so would like to get some opinions ASAP.

thanks
Kevin

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,749 Posts
Skip the cooler in the FSR and add an independent trucool 40k btu cooler in front of it.

That's what I did and it worked fantastic.

·
Hater
Duh
9,207 Posts
Get the radiator without the trans cooler option and run the big 40k. My temps stay 120-150° range if I use the truck to commute.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so did you guys mount yours below the radiator between the fog lamps, or if not where else? I like to get a model with thermostatic controlled fans if possible for the stop and go traffic we deal with here in So Cal. I did in fact order my FSR radiator w/o the transmission cooler so am now committed to a good stand-alone cooler. I also ordered my level 6 from FLT so game on!

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,532 Posts
I'm running my 40k inline with the stock radiator, I mounted the 40k front of the radiator as well so the cooling fans always pull air across it. I've been running this way for 5 years (2 years with the TVS2300 and boost cam) without any issues of the radiator cooler leaking. There's a theory that the trans fluid needs the warm coolant temp to help heat up the trans fluid quicker which helps with transmission efficiency. Even in 100* Texas summers my trucks runs between 200-220* and trans temps never go above 180*.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got my FSR from UPS today. Myyyy, what chock-full of tig-welding goodness this puppy is! I can't wait to install it. I'm still looking for the right stand-alone transmission cooler to get. Looking for one that is fan cooled and controlled thermostatically. I'm afraid the PCM of NC one is simply too small for the job minus the radiator cooling part of the equation.

20200913_191228.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts