Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like I am plagued with the dreaded Bose Speaker whine/buzz. I will best describe the symptoms and maybe someone can help me out.

I've owned this truck for 2 weeks now, and after the first week my driver dash speaker started to buzz/whine. The whine fluctuates depending on RPM level. I can also hear the blinkers click through the speaker. Some days it will do it without anything prompting it, some days it will start after I've been listening to the sound system for a little while. Some days it will start when I hit a bump in the road.

Then yesterday the passenger dash speaker started doing the same thing. I woke up this morning, cranked her up, speakers were fine. I put the car in reverse and then the passenger dash speaker started acting up. I backed out of my driveway, put her in D and then the buzz/whine went away. It hasn't returned....yet.

The whole audio system is the stock Bose, without rear audio controls. The buzz/whine is intermittent and I cannot recreate the problem, it just comes and goes. I've bashed on the dash and glove box to no avail. I have checked the ground under the hood and disconnected the battery and reconnected it.

So after searching I've found a couple answers.
1. Bad radio harness ground.
2. Loose speaker wires in the dash.
3. Bad amplifier.
4. Radio harness is compromised and needs to be rewrapped or replaced.
5. Bad ground somewhere not related to the radio harness.

I obviously want to trouble shoot this starting with the easiest checks first. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on what might resolve my issues?

Thanks
Vince

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I have had some feedback and these are my next steps.

It sounds like a bad ground - I'll try adding a ground to the back of the radio chassis to a convenient spot (this keeps me from having to find all the grounds GM used). It also could be a poor connector connection or a pin slightly retracting. I'll unplug and replug all relevant connectors and see if that helps. But first, I might pull the radio and hook it up to its harness and wrestle the harness around at each connector to see if you can duplicate the symptom with the radio running out of the dash.

It could be some unrelated ground as well - I'll try putting a jumper cable from engine block to a clean spot on the frame under the hood and see if symptoms go away.

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? :)

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
151 Posts
I have an aftermarket radio and the same thing is happening. I know exactly what you are talking about. My ss did have the bose system to begin with. I am guessing maybe a loose ground or another ground might be needed. I just need to find the time to look into it.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,509 Posts
I got the whine. It would come and go. I upgraded to a nice double din pioneer head unit...... still there. I sent better ground to factory amp and head unit.... still there. I replaced factory amp with nice alpine amp... noise gone..... went to nats and was so happy I didn't have to listen to that 8 hours there, during, and 8 hours back! Was so nice...... until two weeks later I pressed the brake pedal ..... and it very quietly came back. Next day it was back in full force. I took head unit out, installed ground loop isolators, and so far so good! Hope for the best!

·
Registered
08Trailblazer3SSAWD
16 Posts
Center console slap only works if its the rear speakers. Mine intermittently whines every few weeks. Has to be a ground somewhere. No idea how ill check every ground... Sound comes from my front left dash speaker

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS AWD
233 Posts
fack.....i have it on my rear passenger lol. just started this past weekend, but its the first and last since then. i was hoping just a bad speaker but sounds as if its the ground.....i hate audio shit, i swear lol.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
2 Posts
The TB/SS have separate radio controls in the back of the console armrest. Pull the control plate out, disconnect the cable, use dialectic grease on the connector and your buzz should go away. Try this test, when the buzz starts, tap on the rear radio controls or on the back of the armrest...if the buzz/whine goes away, the connector is the problem. Many thanks to Don at Ryan Chev in Buffalo, MN for finally figuring this out.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
7 Posts
I wanted to post my results in dealing with the dreaded Radio/Speaker buzzing/whining/feedback. I had my buzzing for 2-years and it was getting super annoying. I have a stock (including stock radio) 2008 TBSS that I've owned since 2012 and 12k miles to today's 77k miles. Always kept in top shape. It has the rear seat radio/AC controls and the Bose amp in the back.

Hitting the center console and/or unplugging and using dielectric grease on the rear radio control plug only sometimes fixed the problem.

I wanted to share what I have done and it seems to have fixed it. Removed the center console and inspected and rewrapped the small wire harness in the center console. Directions to remove the center console are on YouTube. On inspection of that small wire harness I did not see any exposed or chaffed wires and I also could not replicate the buzzing sound by moving the harness around while the radio was on. I unwrapped and re-wrapped this entire small harness. I had to take that small harness out of the center console, after the console was removed from the truck to do this. I believe this small harness was the cause of the buzzing based on the common but temporary banging on the center console fix.

I also re-wrapped the entire harness from under the rear passenger seat, under the rear passenger sill trim and to the amp under the rear back side window. I also inspected this wire and again, didn't see any exposed or chaffed wire. I especially paid attention to areas where the harness made tight turns, was strapped to a plastic clip, or did not have wire harness wrap over the colored wires. I did not unwrap this whole wire, just the sections that I thought might cause a problem. Then I wrapped that entire harness in new harness wrap, so now there are no colored wires visible in that harness.

All this seems to be 100% fix to the stupid buzzing/whining while the radio was on. I took the car on a 1,200-mile trip right after this fix, with no buzzing. And I've put about 2,000 miles on since the repair and still not a hint of buzzing. I really think it was that harness in the center console. I would have replace that console harness if my fix didn't work.

I tried to find the most recent post about the radio speaker noises to post this. If this is not the most recent one, or there is a frequent repairs sections on this website, can somebody link this there.

I don't post much on here, but read it a lot. Great and informative website about our awesome TBSS's.

Ken
2008 TBSS - AWD - Imperial Blue - Stock

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
21 Posts
I had this problem years ago. The radio would buzz intermittantly but there was also the odd read wiper doing one pass even though it was turned off. Then the antilock brakes/stablitrac came on for a moment while on the highway. (about shit myself) The dealership took my truck for a week, gave me a loaner, and fixed it at no charge. Now, seven years later, I just had the dealer replace my front fuse block/box. All the ghosts are back again. I took it to the dealer this morning and they have deleted the service records since they are so old. And, the Service Manager has moved on. Is there something with the fuse block like an extra ground that can be added? Or some hint I can give the tech?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts