Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out the Bose speakers for JL Audio C5 components and mounted the tweeters next to the 6.5" speaker in the door. Now theres a gap between the 2 speakers, I feel air blowing on my leg and road noise has increased. Does anyone make mounting plates? Or what's the easiest way to make my own?

·
Premium Member
2006 white 2wd
3,246 Posts
You could use 1/4" wood. That is easy to do and I would also seal the other holes in the door skin maybe with a sheet of Dynamat?

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Make your own baffles shaped just like the plastic Bose plates. Make sure to protect them from water by spraying with bedliner stuff or at very least paint them.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
On my Impala I used this template

http://www.impalassforum.com/tech/audio/door_speakers/door_template.htm

It would be a good base to start with, haven't had the doors apart myself in the TB but it worked excellent, get some 1/4" wood for it. Not sure if anybody makes a speaker pod for the TB, I later switched to a pod that mounted on the outside of the panel.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is plexi glass easy to cut with a dremel? I just want to make thin adapters. 1/4" wood might be too thick.

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Cut plexi with jigsaw with fine blade on it. And when drilling holes, do not put pressure. Let the bit cut, don't try an push it.

·
Registered
tbss. duh.
836 Posts
the best thing to do is remove the stock speaker mounts and use two pieces of 3/4" mdf stacked. cut one to match the bottom of the oem mounts, and one to the top, and glue them together. plastic / plexi / whatever is to flimsy, the mdf helps deaden vibration

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,317 Posts
I used the original bose speaker (the adapter) as a template and made my own out of .75" wood. Then made another ring for the speaker to sit on, if that makes sense...

I'll try to find a better pic...

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,317 Posts
Here is what I did for my old TB.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS (Soon)
2,392 Posts
easiest way is to trace the stock one, use 3/4" mdf and paint it black. use rubberized undercoating or something.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
Honestly 1/4" would be fine I did it before never had an issue and sounded great, but whatevers the thickest you could use would obviously be better, I'd use whatever ply you have lying around or buy a 2x4' piece and you'll have plenty of material if you screw up. The less plastic you have in the door the better.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got a large sheet of 1/2" mdf sitting around that I'll use. What's the maximum thickness of wood before it contacts the door panel? I guess 2 pieces of 3/4" wood is the max? Would pieces of dynamat on the back of the wood and paint be good enough moisture barrier? I was hoping to not have to buy any undercarriage coating if I didn't have to.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for posting pics. That helps get some sense of how it should look.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts