Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
? is. Is there a link or write-up of how to change the Front lower control arm with the bracket ? The Tools needed and fast way to do it? I just wanna have an idea of whats needed to be done before i do it myself.

I checked my Haynes book and says I can do it with out removing the spindle or brakes. is this correct? Wish there was a site that videos or detailed writeup of how-to's.

Im gonna purchase the drivers side from Rockauto and attempt to replace the whole arm that comes with the bushings and the ball joint myself. I searched but did not find anything with much info. TY

·
Premium Member
2006 white 2wd
3,246 Posts
I was told to buy the GM arms (gmpartsdirect.com or similar) because they have updated/better bushings. Maybe Tony will chime in because he is the person that told me this. Also, try this link for some videos...

Trailblazer repairs PlayList

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
5,661 Posts
It's not hard but you will have to get an alignment. I would do both arms, then the alignment will only have to be done once.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
266 Posts
How long should this job take?

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
It's easy. Pop the spindle off the lower ball joint, use a puller to get the strut mount off the bushing and remove 3 bolts holding the arm on the chassis. Putting it back together is easier than removing it. Get an alignment then you're done..

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
Why replace the arm? The bushing bracket and ball joint and you are done, will cost about $140 for all the parts for both sides.

·
Registered
06 TrailblazerSS AWD
867 Posts
I did lower arms, spindles, and front swaybar bushings basically by myself on AWD and by any means am I a mechanic. Took me around 6-7 hours in 110° weather in a driveway lol. I have both front MOOG upper and lower ball joints brand new in box if anyone is interested. Would make a deal i think they were around 40 a piece.

·
Premium Member
2006 white 2wd
3,246 Posts
Why replace the arm? The bushing bracket and ball joint and you are done, will cost about $140 for all the parts for both sides.
Don't forget about needing to replace the bushing/bolt on the lower control arm that holds the strut arm. Plus, I have been told by Tony that the new style GM lower control arms have been redesigned and are a better design.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Im in the process of replacing the lower control arms. How do you get this bolt out without removing the tie rod?

And once I get it out, can i put it in the other direction?

This isn't my picture, but one I found on the net.

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
168 Posts
Just did this about three weeks ago. Took about 3 hours start to finish. Those back bolts are a bit tricky to get all the way out but mine did slide past the boot with a little wiggling. Keep in mind you can get the entire assembly out without removing the two bolts(as one unit), but it was slightly easier to do them separately IMO.

Little side note... I also ended replacing both sway bar links on mine as well. Of course they broke as soon as I tried to get the nut off. The local Autozone had them in stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts