Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Ive been lurking on the forums for a little while as I bought an 07 tbss 3 weeks ago. The front driveshaft u joint failed, in turn, causing the rear cv joint boot to rip. Ive been trying to find another driveshaft for the last 2 days cross referencing different vehicles and measurements. The reman that keeps coming up at part houses is 2 to 3 inches longer. There is a similar post to mine which was left unresolved. The driveshaft itself doesnt "APPEAR" to be damaged but Ive not been able to find a suitable rebuild for the slip yoke and seal. Any information would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
755 Posts
I could be totally wrong but the beer in me thinks the front driveshaft was the same for all AWD or 4wd trailblazers. Take yours into your local autoparts store and do a side by side comparison.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive taken it into all the stores in my area and noone can match it. 2 stores didnt list one and the reman came from 3 hours away itself so its not a common part. Maybe they cataloged it wrong? Theres a driveline shop ill be taking it to monday. They may be able to repair it or custom build one if they cant match it. The car had some "transmission work" done a few years after the ls3 was put in but Im not sure who did it or what was done.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
The 4.2 uses a longer front driveshaft and is MUCH more common.

You need one from a V8 truck.... SS, EXT, Regular, doesn't matter... . As long as it's a V8 truck you're golden.

And I was told that transfer case CV joint isn't rebuildable. Seems like BS to me, but good luck finding a rebuild kit.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
53 Posts
If were you I would be converting it to 2wd and a 4l80 or 6 speed, unless you Live in Alaska. I live in Colorado and the passes here get bad in winter Is the only reason I still have mine, AWD. AWD is a pain, you know where.:(
CH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 4.2 uses a longer front driveshaft and is MUCH more common.

You need one from a V8 truck.... SS, EXT, Regular, doesn't matter... . As long as it's a V8 truck you're golden.

And I was told that transfer case CV joint isn't rebuildable. Seems like BS to me, but good luck finding a rebuild kit.
They may have cataloged it wrong then even though they said it was listed under the "6.0 ss". I wound up reusing the driveshaft. The cv joint is indeed repairable (one keeper clip and it slid right off). I used the dorman part no 932-102. Put it on the lift yesterday to double check everything and it looks good after a couple hundred miles!

If were you I would be converting it to 2wd and a 4l80 or 6 speed, unless you Live in Alaska. I live in Colorado and the passes here get bad in winter Is the only reason I still have mine, AWD. AWD is a pain, you know where.:(
CH
I may do that one day, it would certainly be more fun:p. I do like the fact that it hooks up really well though. The driveshaft and u joints looked factory so @160k it was probably about time especially at the extra load theyve been under since the swap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts