Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is leaking bc I put it in my garage and I saw a spot. I took it in and they changed my rear brakes and said my plug rings were dry rotted. He changed those and filled it with fresh fluid.

I look in my driveway and see a spot. I look under and it is dripping. I touch the oil and it is fresh oil. What are the possibilities and the cost to each? I am thinking about taking it to Chevy.

Help me out!

·
Premium Member
06 awd
1,070 Posts
you really have to find out whee its coming out from. wipe it all done clean if its ur front diff it sux to repair and will cost a few bucks at the dealer but first find out if its engine oil or diff fluid

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It goes in tomorrow. I know its not my engine bc there is fresh oil on the ground from when they filled my front diff up two weeks ago. I check my engine oil all the time. I know this is not going to be cheap. Thanks

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was the front right axle seal. $350 fix

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it is still leaking!! My guy said he replaced every seal on it. I took the drip pan off and looked closer. I dont know much about the front diff but it looks like it is coming from where the axle goes into the diff. I see the rubber boot then a metal piece going into the diff. Where the piece of metal goes into the diff I see oil coming out.

I am taking it in tomorrow so any help would be appreciated to what I can tell the mechanic.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He told me every seal was replaced. He replaced the drain plug seal. He said some was leaking from there but I can see it is wet all over the place. i think he replaced the pinion seal. He is a real honest guy(owner) but i don't know if his guy(mechanic) is helping at all.

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts
there are 3 seals on the diff itself... 2 on the pass side carrier...

the case halves are sealed with an anerobic sealant...

pinion seal is 9.23
outer seal is 9.69
inner seal is 10.03
drain plug seal is 3.82

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the "Yoke" seal I have read about in other threads? Is that a possibility. I could kick myself for not taking a picture of it.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gotcha. Thanks guys. I take it in before work tomorrow so I will write down everything he says and try best to figure out everything. It just sucks.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine was not leaking as bad this time. It is in the shop now so I will know later what the deal is.

·
Registered
07 Silver TBSS
922 Posts
Mine did the same thing. Had it in originally for a slow leak. Dealer replaced the oil pan gasket and said it was fixed. I get it back and notice right away it's still leaking (albeit very slowly). We take it back in 2 weeks later, and they figure out it's the front diff, not the oil pan. They say they've fixed it and we go get it again. The TBSS needs new tires, so we get it home and park it....

Saturday morning, we come out and see this where the SS was:

It's back at the dealership, but the good news is that it's all been covered under the powertrain warranty and the dealership has been bending over backwards to keep us happy. Right now we're driving a 2011 Tahoe LT that they gave us (demo car). We're supposed to pick the SS up tomorrow, so we'll see what happens...

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine is fixed. It was the pinion seal.

Adrian mine never looked that bad. I had maybe a drip and a very small puddle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.