Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I have a friend that has an 06 SS and had an oil leak. Not knowing where it was coming from, she continued to drive it thinking she would eventually figure it out. Well, she did. It was the front carrier/differential that was leaking and it dried up and eventually seized. It has since been removed but is in bad enough shape that she has been told it cannot be rebuilt...

Here's the question... does anyone know where to get a front carrier assembly from an SS that is definitely good? Or a rebuilt one that isn't $1000+?

I have checked the salvage yards and all the ones that I can find online to ask... no one will say there's is a good one and by the time we buy and then rebuild, we're over $1000. I know it's probably asking the impossible, but I wanted to at least try to see if anyone had some magic beans.

Thanks for any info you might have!!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
Do you need the front differential or the carrier that connects the intermediate shaft to the passenger side axle? Or both

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This... wish I knew what was called what exactly... sorry about that.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I posted in the wrong forum... should be in "AWD Front Diff/Axle/Transfer Case". Can an admin move it please? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
Cheapest way: Any 4x4 trailblazer front differential will work, look to get one from a junkyard. You might get lucky and find one with a 4.11 gear, normally they have 3.73 gears so you may have to get it rebuilt and swap the gears out.

·
Registered
TBSS
24 Posts
A case out a standard TB will not work. We are AWD all the time they are not. There is a fork inside that standard case that is actuated by a solenoid. Unless there is something I don't know. This part was discontinued. You can find rebuilds but yes you are looking a 1k for the part and that does not include any labor involved. Trust me I know from personal experience. I just ended up pulling the motor and building it in the process. Rob cam, headers, bearings, oil pump relocate tube, ect. If you ever plan on modding now would be a good time to do it.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
27 Posts
A case out a standard TB will not work. We are AWD all the time they are not. There is a fork inside that standard case that is actuated by a solenoid. Unless there is something I don't know. This part was discontinued. You can find rebuilds but yes you are looking a 1k for the part and that does not include any labor involved. Trust me I know from personal experience. I just ended up pulling the motor and building it in the process. Rob cam, headers, bearings, oil pump relocate tube, ect. If you ever plan on modding now would be a good time to do it.
Weren't the V8 97X's and Buick Rainier's also AWD?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
I'm sending them my good low-mile spare diff. I have a TCase if anyone needs it also.

·
Registered
Saab 9-7x Aero
190 Posts
I believe the diff is the same and the fork (for 4wd) or sleeve (part time Awd) is in the disconnect/carrier.

Weren't the V8 97X's and Buick Rainier's also AWD?
All 97x's were Awd. The Aero is a torsen unit like the SS. While the other Saabs and Rainiers were part time/automatic Awd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts