Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
Sold
6,005 Posts
It can be done if you have a lift to take the body off and a trailer to transport the frames before and after.

I think that the harder part would be finding the complete suitable undamaged replacement frame.

· Registered
629 Posts
There are plenty of rollers being sold almost weekly on various facebook groups. Usually full interiors sans engine and trans. Aprox 4k. Ive seen even more stripped out rollers as early as this or last week for $1500.

Just a thought, wouldnt any trailblazer frame work? I dont think the SS frame is any different than an LT frame of similar year.

If you can weld, it could be a cheaper option to cut out and reinforce whats weakened?

· Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
979 Posts
The frame is rusted out but the body isn't?

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,628 Posts
I wonder if only the 5.3l and 6.0l v8 frames would work? My fame has a "v8" sticker on one of the rails. Could have additional bracing for the bigger motors.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
629 Posts
Based on the line of questioning from the original poster…. This kind of swap isnt for the faint of heart and youll need a lift and lots of time to do this…

Perhaps its better buying another tbss but a roller and you can swap in your motor and trans. Its better than a “frame swap.” And considerably less time involved

· Registered
TrailblazerSS
138 Posts
I wonder if only the 5.3l and 6.0l v8 frames would work? My fame has a "v8" sticker on one of the rails. Could have additional bracing for the bigger motors.
No. No extra bracing. The V8 frames are identical to the I6. The only thing that may change is the mounting holes for the transmission crossmember, as the V8 drive train is shorter from the front duff mounting centerline to the rear of the trans/xfer case. The rear driveshaft, and front if awd/4x4, at different lengths as well... But beyond that.. . Identical

· Registered
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD
9 Posts
It is possible for you to do it. I have the same issue. Frame is rotted to Hell and the body is pristine. Luckily I found a brand new frame on Ebay for $1300. It was a GM subcontractor who had it in his warehouse forever. I'm getting ready to do this job in a month or two so I'll put up a post with pics. Also, make sure to coat the frame you get. I did POR15 and Eastwood inside the rails. Good luck!

· Registered
7 Posts
It is possible for you to do it. I have the same issue. Frame is rotted to Hell and the body is pristine. Luckily I found a brand new frame on Ebay for $1300. It was a GM subcontractor who had it in his warehouse forever. I'm getting ready to do this job in a month or two so I'll put up a post with pics. Also, make sure to coat the frame you get. I did POR15 and Eastwood inside the rails. Good luck!
Have you started this work? I'm considering swapping the wrecked frame in my 2008.

· Registered
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD
9 Posts
I am buying the 2nd cherry picker this weekend ans the last 2 body mounts and a few other odds and ends coming in and then I begin especially since one of the rear air ride bags got a hole in it now. The frame I took to bare metal and put 3 coats of black POR15 and 2 coats of POR15 2K Clearcoat and used Eastwood Internal Frame Spray on the insides of it. So now is pulling the engine and Trans so I don't have to lift the body over it, only the strut mounts. I may just cut them off too so then the frame rolls right out the back. I'll keep everyone posted on the process. I still need to upload pics.

· Registered
7 Posts
I am buying the 2nd cherry picker this weekend ans the last 2 body mounts and a few other odds and ends coming in and then I begin especially since one of the rear air ride bags got a hole in it now. The frame I took to bare metal and put 3 coats of black POR15 and 2 coats of POR15 2K Clearcoat and used Eastwood Internal Frame Spray on the insides of it. So now is pulling the engine and Trans so I don't have to lift the body over it, only the strut mounts. I may just cut them off too so then the frame rolls right out the back. I'll keep everyone posted on the process. I still need to upload pics.
Good deal. I'm looking forward to following your progress on this!

· Registered
2 Posts
I am by no means considered an advanced mechanic but can manage and seek help when over my head. I'm not ready to give up on the truck. I would like to see it back on the road instead of parting it out. Retirement is almost here so it will occupy my time. Time is not a problem. Car-part.com has a bunch of frames but they all had the 5.3 in them. My question is, will the 6.0 engine and drive train fit with no modifications?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts