Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a few questions....

I do not have the garage space to store my truck, so I might be renting a spot at a local storage facility.... I know they have some that are climate cotrolled, should I cough up the extra cash and do this?

Before I store it, should the fuel tank be full or near empty or full? Is a fuel additive necessary? If so, which do you guys recommend?

Should it be stored with fresh oil?

Should I place it on jackstands? Or will it be fine?

Also, What is a good cover to use?

I plan on bringing it out every couple weeks or so, as long as the roads are cleaned up during winter....

Any and all input is appreciated... Thank you.

·
Premium Member
'06 AWD
2,008 Posts
Personally I would go with the climate controlled unit. I stored mine one year in a storage unit, and on the rare occasion we get 50-60 degree weather, the unit (and your truck) are soaked with humidity. Water droplets formed all over the truck and the engine compartment had white water spots after it dried and was a pita to get off.

Summit has a battery terminal disconnect switch that mounts permanetly to the battery for quick disconnect during long storage times. Part number is MOR-74104 and works great.

Full tank of gas will keep the condensation down. If you're going to drive it once a month or so I wouldn't worry about jack stands.

·
Registered
White 2006 TBSS AWD
846 Posts
Didn't store my ss but when I stored my previous car I did the following:

Put car up on stands and removed the tires/wheels.
Took out battery and kept it in my bedroom
Put a towel in the exhaust pipe (in case of rodents)
Full tank of gas and add fuel stabilizer to it such as StaBil.
Don't worry much about the oil being fresh as I would recommend chaining it anyways after taking it out of storage.
Put windows down if it's in a climate controlled storage unit otherwise leave them up.

After taking it out of storage change the oil and run the tank of gas to as close to empty as you can before refilling.

If you plan on keeping the battery in it then make sure you go out and start it a couple times a week and let it sit until it reaches normal operating temps. Also don't worry much about putting it up on stands if you plan to take it out every now and then. Otherwise that would be a pain in the ass. But don't let it sit too long on the tires or you'll risk having flat spots on the tires.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,317 Posts
Why do you guys take the wheels/tires off the car?

I got another car for a DD so I won't be driving the car in the winter. My garage is heated but that's it.

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
I store my truck every winter...I don't put it on jacks or use stabilizer for the gas..I rather not just let it "sit" for the winter..I start it almost every two weeks (maybe 3) and drive it about 20 miles when the weather permits....It kinda nice to drive it when it's cold (intake temps are very low!!), I take it around the block a few times, and the Tollway is only minutes away! A quick blast to the first exit, turn around and back to the garage... Been doing it this way for 4 years...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts