Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I was planning on installing my Yank which is in my sig but still in the box :(

Anyway, I have put this off for a while as I know I am probably got to shell my trans and then the dealer is gonna say stall = no warranty.

So I am thinking about just buying some insurance and installing a better tranny.

I have talked to Chuck at FLT before and he was very nice to talk to. He seemed knowledgable about his product.

I see a lot of guys are installing RPM level 5's.

So curious why people are choosing RPM over FLT?

This truck has mild bolt-ons but might get a maggie.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,401 Posts
This week I was planning on installing my Yank which is in my sig but still in the box :(

Anyway, I have put this off for a while as I know I am probably got to shell my trans and then the dealer is gonna say stall = no warranty.

So I am thinking about just buying some insurance and installing a better tranny.

I have talked to Chuck at FLT before and he was very nice to talk to. He seemed knowledgable about his product.

I see a lot of guys are installing RPM level 5's.

So curious why people are choosing RPM over FLT?

This truck has mild bolt-ons but might get a maggie.

Thoughts?

you can get all the parts you need to make it a killer tranny for less than 800 bucks. Thats what we did in ours. A shop can rebuild the tranny in 5-7 hours with ease. hell supercoolin did ours in less time than that.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
RPM and FLT have both been extremely helpful to me!

Theres another guy in AZ that sounds like hes been helpful also.

·
Banned
237 Posts
you can get all the parts you need to make it a killer tranny for less than 800 bucks. Thats what we did in ours. A shop can rebuild the tranny in 5-7 hours with ease. hell supercoolin did ours in less time than that.
How did you get all the parts for less than $800? Greg charged me $1,120 and he didn't even include the Raybestos 3/4 Z Pack.

·
Banned
237 Posts
Also, for AWD trucks I was quoted 10-12 hours for R&R of the transmission plus installing the new parts. Most transmission shops will charge $85.00 per hour.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, for AWD trucks I was quoted 10-12 hours for R&R of the transmission plus installing the new parts. Most transmission shops will charge $85.00 per hour.

I had two shops quote $500 to install Yank. Basically a R/R.

RPM will install anything you buy from them for $250. Almost a worthy road trip for me.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
The guy moving next door to me with R&R a tranny for around $200 if anyone need it in the charlotte area.

·
Registered
06 TBSS 2WD
346 Posts
MOST shops won't install something if they don't use it or are not familiar with it. And Phoenix will give a 2yr/24000 mile warranty for 500rwhp limit if they do the build.

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,401 Posts
How did you get all the parts for less than $800? Greg charged me $1,120 and he didn't even include the Raybestos 3/4 Z Pack.
without stall 800. But im good friends with joe and joes good friends with greg so i can say i got a good deal.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont have a tranny shop around here I trust to build a performance tranny. The first two places I called about installing the Yank (since I dont have time) said why would you want to do that?

I am all for saving money buying the parts, but I am trying to buy some peace of mind too. Getting a trans from FLT or RPM gives me a little more security. It might be false security but when you are running at tracks 105 miles from home, its nice to have. For me anyway.

Not sure what the savings is anyway. Johnny, you are at $1200 in parts right? Whats labor? You can buy a RPM for $2100 right? With $99 shipping and have it in 1 day?

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,401 Posts
Isnt there a core charge and all that other stuff. And i think for 2100 its not the same stuff that johnny is putting in his tranny.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isnt there a core charge and all that other stuff. And i think for 2100 its not the same stuff that johnny is putting in his tranny.
RPM has an exchange deal. Its pretty sweet. Here is what is says.

Pricing is on an exchange basis. We build and ship you a transmission, you install it, then ship us the core back on the same pallet. If we do not recieve the core back within 30 days, we will charge you $750 for the transmission core

As far as how it compares to what Johnny is doing, I have no clue. I dont know 'chit' about auto-trans which is why I started this tread.

Here is what RPM says about the TBSS tranny they sell. They have a couple options for hardened in/out shafts.

All of our LEVEL V automatic transmissions include:

Media blast transmission case
RPM sleeved input drum
RPM 3-4 clutch pack
RPM sunshell with laser welded collar and bearing
Heavy Duty double caged 29 element sprag
4L65E low roller clutch
Billet 4th gear servo
Transgo HD-2 shift kit
Corvette Servo
Wide 2-4 band
Updated aluminum accumulator piston
Bushing kit
new shift solenoids
new GM valve body spacer plate
GM 5 pinion planetary gearsets - front and rear
Seal & gasket kit
Filter
Set end play to our specifications

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,401 Posts
supercoolin did my trans on my truck and noticed there are lots of things that are there allready which others charge for. Whatever way you go i think FLT or RPM are good.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD Red Jewel
1,713 Posts
I spent about $700 for everything to build my trans. There are some more parts I probably should have bought and I will buy before building my AWD trans

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Need some opinions from someone that knows more about auto-trans than me ! Ok, thats most everyone.

Anyway I have all the parts coming from Phoenix next week to do my build. FLT and RPM both offer top of the line "stage V" transmissions with a few more parts in them.

Some parts are cheap and I am wondering if we should be adding them too. See the comparison below. Any comments??

S

·
0 Posts
cost for AWD tranny from Greg @ Phoenix

Spoke with Greg @ Phoenix and stated depending on your tranny condition, and AWD application install like ours with everything Left Coast 32 posted he has in his, will cost $2500 to $2800.............a pretty good deal for a piece of mind when racing!

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD Red Jewel
1,713 Posts
It should be noted that Greg said that is installed with a converter. Pretty DAMN GOOD deal if you ask me

·
Premium Member
06' TBSS 2WD
3,410 Posts
What about for us guys who already have converters, and will be doing the install ourselves.....what kind of price can we expect for a tranny already built, shipped to our door? And also, what is the core charge? I can't afford any downtime, so I'd have to order one, install it, and then send my core back in. I can swap the tranny in about 3-4 hours on my buddies lift with his help. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts