Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
mixmaster
TrailblazerSS
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So fhp was nice enough to inform me my tint was not legal and cite me for it. His meter read 22% but he cited me for 12%, I'm assuming he did that because he was nice enough to only cite me for one window and not both (and not try to go to court) - it's a fix it ticket. I'm not exactly sure what came on my car I thought it was maybe 20/35. Anyway I noticed the label today and was wondering if someone could decipher it. I thought legal in FL is 28% light transfer for front windows 15% for rear and rear facing doesn't matter.

Here is my front pax/driver window label

My rear pax/driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6.2 silverao
2,942 Posts
Honestly you must have had a douche cop.. I'm on my 4th vehicle and all of them have had 5% limo over factory and all except my current 30% on the windshield. I say pay the ticket and keep on rolling.

·
Registered
Saab 9-7x Aero
190 Posts
The rear windows are 16% from the factory. The fronts are a 70% greenish hue.

The label you see on the front windows is for the factory tint.

I agree with Chad. If the ticket isn't too bad then pay it. I'm not suprised it was FHP, they are known to pull cops over...(go the extra mile)

Honestly, I think FHP is the only LE agency around here that will ticket you for that.

Is that what they pulled you over for?

·
mixmaster
TrailblazerSS
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya they pulled me over just for tint. My v1 alerted me way before he ever saw me and he was at another traffic stop. I moved over and slowed down as per law and so he could merge with traffic, then got behind me. Obviously he wanted to find more but all I had was a bag of kit kats and a bin full of wet dive gear. I was even nice enough to inform him I was carrying.

No...he didn't get a kit kat

So that tint label doesn't mean that it blocks 70% and 30% vlt?

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
Trust me on this one. FL law is 27% on the front windows and and anythimg on the back. My uncle is a judge and explained this to me.. Hell you could spray paint your back windows black if you wanted. I was given a ticket for 4% on my back windows when I was 17. I went to court and it was thrown out. The cop didn't know the rule.

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
Also you can get a medical exemption forum and have what ever tint you want. Lol

·
mixmaster
TrailblazerSS
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I heard it's hard to get medical exemptions now.

Anyway can anyone tell me what the tint is from that label?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
144 Posts
Idk about florida, but in texas during the state safety inspections the inspector is supposed to use a machine/tool to check the transmission of light. It has a calibration slide with it that tells the machine is measuring correctly. The tool thingy just slides over the edge of the window. When the battery got low it would read really far off. You may inquire if his tool was calibrated correctly.

·
Registered
Saab 9-7x Aero
190 Posts
The label is part of the window, it has nothing to do with your aftermarket tint.

A good tint shop can probably ball park the percentage.

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
I'm guessing you have aftermarket window tint on your vehicle. Read the info below to help you understand the factory markings. FL states there should be a label from the window tinter stuck between the film and window so the Licensed window tinter can be found and cited also if tint is illegal. No laminated sticker under tint, good chance it's illegal or done by a DIY person.

You stated that his meter read 22% light transmittance which would be 6% below state law for a front side window which is 28% light transmittance. Why he wrote you 12% I don't know but that doesn't seem right. FL Statute also states that the meters have a 3% variance in accuracy when properly calibrated an in working order.

If you read the statute info it talks about the Light Transmittance and light Reflectance. Both have allowable values.

Here is the 411 on the factory markings etched on the glass.

Your front window markings are factory markings. Which AS2 is tempered with at least 70% light transmissions, and can be used anywhere except the windshield. So your side window transmits 70% of the light through the window. Florida law says that a front side window must transmit at least 28% of light through the window. Which yours does according to the marking on the window. So long as you have NO OTHER TINT on the factory glass.

The "M40L2" sequence is the manufacturers glass model number.

The "DOT 22" is the letters “DOT” followed by a number that the Department of Transportation (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) assigns to the manufacturer of the glass.

"Guardian" is the name of the glass company that makes the glass.

The E code (with a capital ‘E’) is used for cars in European countries, and indicates the country that certified the windshield or glass. It is a circle with the capital letter E followed by a number.

Read the statutes, learn how they are to use the light meter device as that is important in not getting a false reading. Statutes also specify the calibration of the unit and the accepted tolerances of the unit.

Statutes:
Florida Window Tint Laws
Florida Statutes sections 316.2951 through 316.2956: Windshields and windows.

316.2953 Side windows; restrictions on sunscreening material.--A person shall not operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road, or street on which vehicle the side wings and side windows on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by, or treated with any sunscreening material or other product or covering which has the effect of making the window nontransparent or which would alter the window's color, increase its reflectivity, or reduce its light transmittance, except as expressly permitted by this section. A sunscreening material is authorized for such windows if, when applied to and tested on the glass of such windows on the specific motor vehicle, the material has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 25 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 28 percent in the visible light range. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

·
mixmaster
TrailblazerSS
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah, copy that

ya blonde moment, i thought the marking was actually from the tint. so his meter was probably in the ball park since im pretty sure its like 20% tint.

im pretty sure he wrote me for 12% so i dont have any chance of arguing in court, also to cover his ass for writing me for only one window. I really feel there needs to be a petition to change the law to somewhere around 15% tint. LEOs are exempt, which is BS - why do they need to have tinted windows.

Guess it was my unlucky turn to pay the man, but obliviously this ticket is for straight revenue and a legal reason to pull someone over for a futher investigation.

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
FL Tint Laws & read my tint?

I thought you said the ticket was a fixit or ticket? If you fixed the tint they would drop the case? So just peel the tint off an show them you removed it an they will drop the ticket. Then go get legal tint installed on your windows.

Cop Exemption:
(2) The department shall exempt all law enforcement vehicles used in undercover or canine operations from the window sunscreening requirements of ss. 316.2951-316.2957.u

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
9 Posts
The laws of other states to me are a joke when it comes to tint. We get pulled over all the time but we have waivers for our vehicles for legal tint. As long as we have the doctor note we can go as dark as we want, just a hassle to get pulled over once a month or more

·
mixmaster
TrailblazerSS
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it is a fix it ticket but the county is 1.5hrs from me, im not about to drive to show them i ripped the tint off, it would cost me more to drive there and back then pay it and keep my tint. Ive never had a problem with it in FL until now, it was a D bag cop.

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
They cracked down on docs who do it now. So unless they are your friend it most likely will not happen!!

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
How much was the ticket?

·
mixmaster
TrailblazerSS
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's 93 per window if they decide to site you for one or all 4

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
any window that moves, must be 28% or better...fixed windows get 15%, rear window can be completely blacked out if need be.

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
So if I disconnect my power windows so they don't work I can go 15%? lol.. Gangsta!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts