Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anybody else experienced the finish bubbling and peeling off the stock polished wheels? I didn't even realize there was a coating until it bubbled up and started to chip and peel off. The wheels actually look amazing underneath the coating and make the rest of the wheel look cloudy but i am not sure how long that's going to hold up. Any suggestions on what to use to remove the rest of the coating and how/if i should go about getting the recoated or just leave them alone?

Thanks!

B

·
Registered
06' TBSS LT2
570 Posts
Aircraft paint stripper. Works beautifully.

Wipe or spray it on let it sit for an hour or so and pressure wash it off.

I just did my center caps they came out perfect. I have new wheels on the way (factory style repros).

Notice the center cap? That's stripped, washed off.. and 2 coats if Duplicolor clear and snapped back in. Ill swap then after my new wheels come and I ceramic coat them 2 or 3 coats face and barrel.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
27 Posts
Mine are in the same condition. Is that picture of the wheels with no clear coat on them? If so, post up what product you used....I need to get some of that! Did you do all of that with the tires mounted, and on or off the vehicle?

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,292 Posts
Just like stated above aircraft paint stripper. Then buy your choice of wheel polish. The wheels will be a slightly dull finish when the clear coat comes off. Shine them to whatever finish you want, they look like highly polished aluminum wheels when all said and done.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
27 Posts
Has anyone had success putting a new clear coat on freshly hand polished rims?

I’m assuming you’d want to dismount the tires when doing this, correct?

·
Registered
06' TBSS LT2
570 Posts
Not necessary. Breaking the bead is better than not. Depends on how crazy you go. I looked at it this way. I have other projects I want to complete. So 800 or so for 4 new repros done already made more sense than say 100 in parts and my own labor to redo mine. Now when I get my originals off? Then I can take my time and refinish one at a time over a month or so and have a fresh set to sell locally or just leave at the shop for the next TBSS to come in with problem wheels.

If you have a full size spare? You could do one at a time if you're on a budget.

You'll only get better with each wheel. Truthfully, checking with a local wheel repair shop is easiest. See how much to refinish from start to finish then ask for you doing full prep with them just clear coating. My guess is 50 per wheel or get a deal of 100 for set to be cleared. Something along those lines. Plenty of shops (body shops, people on side that have experience) to clear those wheels.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
27 Posts
I’m interested in doing them myself at my leisure. I have a hard time buying the same set of wheels just because they’re in better shape than mine, I’d rather buy a “different” set. I’m pretty good with tools, and I’ve polished many of my vehicles several times, I just haven’t done any work on wheels before.

Anyone have recommendations on what polish they’ve had good luck with on these wheels? I use Adam’s polishes mostly, and they do have a metal polish although I have not tried it.

Appreciate all of the advice!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
302 Posts
Honestly, not sure why this is a thread lmao this is abc shit come on man lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just because this threads poppin, I picked up a kinda sad tarred and peeling set of factory 20's for $400 with the intent of stripping them and redoing them. I probably spent about an hour on the one I have done with a 9 inch buffer to get a mirror finish if you're wanting an idea on the time investment. so glad to get rid of the 17's on my LT lol

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,798 Posts
Just because this threads poppin, I picked up a kinda sad tarred and peeling set of factory 20's for $400 with the intent of stripping them and redoing them. I probably spent about an hour on the one I have done with a 9 inch buffer to get a mirror finish if you're wanting an idea on the time investment. so glad to get rid of the 17's on my LT lol
Post up before and after pics for the members

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
27 Posts
Did you apply a clear coat to keep from having to constantly polish them? If so, professional or rattle can?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everybody for the feedback! I'll post before and after pics once I get mine all cleaned up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts