Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
AWD 07 TrailblazerSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks,

I'm looking to take a trip down to PCMofNC for the 2nd time to finish up my build. The tune is a bit off and I'm looking to add some new injectors to top it off. Lastly I was considering an intake mani swap and have been reading a bunch but seems like there's so much differing information over the years.

Can we sum it all up here? And for everyone?

So Intake Options Are:
Fast 102
Holley (mid rise and hi rise?)
Edelbrock Pro Flow
MSD
Ported Stocker

Seems like everyone agrees the the FAST 102 is the best option for overall performance.

The Holley is the choice for the turbo guys?

Ported Stock Intake can either be a great gain or lose quite a bit dependent upon the port job... Who is the best option for porting intakes these days?
Is it PeakSpeed?

Thanks for all the help. Please feel free to edit the post as any of you see fit I'm sure I've missed plenty of material here, and maybe even some intake options.

And just for the record I was looking at the Edelbrock to add to my setup... but would it be worth it? Mods in Sig

Reactions: hybred

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
2,305 Posts
Each of the manifolds listed has its pros and cons depending upon the application. The one size-fits-all solution is typically accepted as being the FAST 102 LSXRT - which needs a hammer to fit.

The problem that exists here is that there is no definitive back-to-back test of the available intakes on a bolt-on LS2; and with good reason as each intake wouldn't be optimized on a single build. Plus this is very expensive.

I am a fan of the Holley Mid-rise simply because it should bolt in without having to permanent body work to the cowl, and should hold boost just fine; plus I like the look.

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,532 Posts
What is your goal? Fastest you can be? Fast, but looks count too? I like the looks of the Holley and Edelbrock, but would pick the FAST LSXRT for best NA performance.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,502 Posts
The car intake manifolds need the belt re routed and cannot fit anything other then a stock 87mm TB with the small motor when done that way, which is a draw back on an expensive intake. The other option is converting to a 5th gen camaro acc drive which adds a bunch of cost.

MSD LS1/2/3 and Fast LS1/2/6 and LS3 are for car applications.

The FAST LSXRT makes the best power on the majority of setups I have tested. It does require mods to the cowl, but comes out clean if done right. The fastest N/A trucks run this manifold.

The Edelbrock fits with no mods to the cowl but needs after market rails. Heat soak is an issue and I would only use it with boost over 10 psi.

The Holley Hi Ram and mid ram lose a bunch of low and mid range to a stock ported or fast setup but do shine above 6000 rpm. (not what you want in a TBSS that is heavy). Consequently the only people that run these either have a larger boost build or place looks and paint matching for car shows above performance. Also requires rails and the hi ram requires some cowl mods as well. Clearance at the front is also tight with the stock TBSS hood. The Hi ram is a good choice for big boost or N/A applications in a light car that spin 7000+ rpm, like a Copo 427)

Stock Ported work pretty well for cam only and milder heads and cam builds as well as mild boost applications. It is pretty cheap but main downfall is that it's real ugly. I have pulled 450rwhp out of a heads and cam combo with a ported stock manifold on 91. YMMV

I have tested all of these at once time or another. There no no back to back on bolt on only LS2s simply because you won't see much if any gain on an engine who's heads flow less then the stock intake/ TB combo with a stock cam not asking for much air. I do not recommend touching the stock manifold until you have added a cam and/or heads. The LS2 car intake isn't the best so you will see a lot of those guys reporting gains with a Fast 102 but the truck intake is better from the factory. :2cents:

As for CAI you cannot go wrong with a 4" FWI regardless of mods.

·
Registered
AWD 07 TrailblazerSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is your goal? Fastest you can be? Fast, but looks count too? I like the looks of the Holley and Edelbrock, but would pick the FAST LSXRT for best NA performance.
Well I think most would agree the stock setup looks like shit... so looks does play a role.

As far as performance - I need to gain something out of it to justify the cost. I definitely don't want to lose performance for $1,000.

·
Registered
AWD 07 TrailblazerSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car intake manifolds need the belt re routed and cannot fit anything other then a stock 87mm TB with the small motor when done that way, which is a draw back on an expensive intake. The other option is converting to a 5th gen camaro acc drive which adds a bunch of cost.

MSD LS1/2/3 and Fast LS1/2/6 and LS3 are for car applications.

The FAST LSXRT makes the best power on the majority of setups I have tested. It does require mods to the cowl, but comes out clean if done right. The fastest N/A trucks run this manifold.

The Edelbrock fits with no mods to the cowl but needs after market rails. Heat soak is an issue and I would only use it with boost over 10 psi.

The Holley Hi Ram and mid ram lose a bunch of low and mid range to a stock ported or fast setup but do shine above 6000 rpm. (not what you want in a TBSS that is heavy). Consequently the only people that run these either have a larger boost build or place looks and paint matching for car shows above performance. Also requires rails and the hi ram requires some cowl mods as well. Clearance at the front is also tight with the stock TBSS hood. The Hi ram is a good choice for big boost or N/A applications in a light car that spin 7000+ rpm, like a Copo 427)

Stock Ported work pretty well for cam only and milder heads and cam builds as well as mild boost applications. It is pretty cheap but main downfall is that it's real ugly. I have pulled 450rwhp out of a heads and cam combo with a ported stock manifold on 91. YMMV

I have tested all of these at once time or another. There no no back to back on bolt on only LS2s simply because you won't see much if any gain on an engine who's heads flow less then the stock intake/ TB combo with a stock cam not asking for much air. I do not recommend touching the stock manifold until you have added a cam and/or heads. The LS2 car intake isn't the best so you will see a lot of those guys reporting gains with a Fast 102 but the truck intake is better from the factory. :2cents:

As for CAI you cannot go wrong with a 4" FWI regardless of mods.
Thanks for the breakdown!

What's the best combo for the FAST? Grab the 102mm TB also?

What we looking at cost wise there?

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,502 Posts
Thanks for the breakdown!

What's the best combo for the FAST? Grab the 102mm TB also?

What we looking at cost wise there?
PM me for pricing on the FAST.

I only recommend going to the 102 TB if the motor is 400i or larger. For a heads and cam setup a silver blade 90 will cover it.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,505 Posts
If you don't buy new I may have a FAST manifold set up coming up for sale if interested. Has about 2k miles on it. Not sure if I'm allowed to post that in here. If not then mods delete.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
AWD 07 TrailblazerSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you don't buy new I may have a FAST manifold set up coming up for sale if interested. Has about 2k miles on it. Not sure if I'm allowed to post that in here. If not then mods delete.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Why are you selling?

·
Registered
AWD 07 TrailblazerSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And to follow up from my OP as well... is Peak Speed the best vendor for porting the intake and throttle body??

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1 Posts
Total n00b question. Is a fast 90 out of the question? I have yet to find a complete write up concentrating on putting one on and the struggle switching everything over (Yes it's old AF!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts