Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, started my new fiberglass box to house 2 RE audio old school model SE 12's. Got some build pics on the good camera, those will come soon, but here's some iPhone pics from just now in my garage after 3rd coat of resin.....

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What? Yall don't like the pattern of my spandex?

Jeez. 3/4 gallon resin and two packs of mat, almost done. Then filler an sanding=yuck....

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, finally got the front stage and rear fill done in the Trailblazer SS, and got amps and subs worked out so it was time to build my new box. Never messed with fiberglass before, but it was time to learn, so here we go. Advice wanted, even though I've already dove balls deep into this.............

Bought this awesome spandex type fabric (had bad experience with fleece last time I helped someone with glasswork) from Walmart, and even made an old lady mad that I bought the last of it, LOL. Want the box to fit full width of my cargo area, and match the angle of the back seat of the SS. I also wanted to leave the ends kind of "dead" space to utilize the factory cargo anchors in the floor of the truck. Looks like a huge box, but lower the back seats and the ends are empty space, using the space to bolt the box to the floor, as well as house distribution block and battery and the like.

Anyway, here's how it started....2 hour quick box to house the older model RE Audio SE 12's...the ones with the spoked aluminum basket.

Started by making the base, tight to the back seat and snug between the wheel well humps in the carpet. Back piece is angled with the back seat, to sit snug. I then cut 5 pieces to make "studs" in the base and back piece. Two for the ends, two for the outsides of the airspace part of the box, and one to divide the subs. I then went in with a pencil, and just freehanded a curve for the front of it.

I had already made and assembled the speaker rings with T-nuts already installed, so I heated the hot glue gun up and got to visualizing....beer helped.

Got the one in a pretty good spot (more of a guess than anything), so I glued her in. Put the other side in and tried our damndest to get the second to match. Glued them in with dowel rods and hot glue, sturdy as hell.

Then we wrapped it with the oh-so-stylish spandex crap from Walmart and it began to take shape. Three coats of resin on the material (30 ounces total) got the shape done. VERY symmetrical, but if you look hard enough you could probably find a defect somewhere.

Then time for chopped mat and cloth for reinforcement in the INSIDE of the speakers' airspace. All corners and joints of fabric and speaker rings were lined with cloth and then packed with chopped mat. Of course, PILES of resin were used for all of this.

Tomorrow we get more resin inside, then I can start with binding posts for speaker wire, and cut out the speaker rings and mount subs.

Anybody got a suggestion of how to strenthen this part? Where the fabric/resin meets the edge of MDF speaker ring? Is it 0strong enough?

·
Registered
08 TrailblazerSS 2wd
597 Posts
Looks good man. I'm about to attempt this myself I want a full width also but I'm also gonna integrate my nitrous bottle

·
Premium Member
07,09 -3SS- Blk,Slv
5,400 Posts
Damn, nobody has any comments? Is that good or bad?
The box looks great. I can't tell from the photos, but have you laid any fiberglass cloth or mat on the inside or outside of the spandex?

If you have not, you should before you start buttoning things up. If you underlay your speaker rings on the inside with some fiberglass cloth or mat it will tie then into the contoured face better and strengthen the area you are concerned about in the pictures. The weave of the fiberglass mat or cloth is what will give your contoured part it's strength once the resin cures. Using fleece or spandex is great to get an overall shape, but it's weave/construction won't provide enough strength with just resin alone. The combo of resin and the weave of the fiberglass mat or cloth is where fiberglass gets it strength to weight ratio as well. Using a ton of resin with the spandex is just going to add weight, but not much additional strength.

·
Registered
2006 TBSS SILVER
975 Posts
Looks nice. Material is cool I would leave it like that.:D Like Jim is right you need to add some strength not more resin. I would get soak some fiber mat from Wallyworld cut it to place on the inside. What are the compartments on either side of the sub for?

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The spaces on the ends.....

Well, the back sits flush with the fold-down back seats, matching the angle between floor ,and seat. Trailblazer SS (all TB's I guess) has cargo hold down things in the back, kind of like D-rings bolted to the frame:

So one the back, where it rests against the seat, I will cut holes in those mysterious end pieces. From those holes, I can bolt the box to the cargo tie down holes......to lock her down for te track and spirited street driving runs...LOL.

It will also give me somewhere to house distribution block and wire for the amps, and house a battery eventually........

Clever huh?

And yeah, I've added lots of mat and cloth inside.

·
Registered
2006 TBSS SILVER
975 Posts
That's what I thought they were for. I just picked up a RE SEX12 to try out. I have been running 2 IDQ 12's. Trying to downsize a little.

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had these RE's for a long time and have been nothing but happy with them. But they're an older model, and some people have been questioning their quality in recent times....

Box is coming along. I sanded te resin and applied some filler. Drying now. I also laid some kitty hair in corners of speaker ring where it meets fabric.

Dumb ass didn't take any pictures though

·
Registered
2006 White 2WD LT
274 Posts
Looks awesome! Subscribing for final results. Bought to build a fiberglass box myself for my re sex 15.

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When u get frustrated and run out of patience, what do u do? Call in reinforcements and buy them some beer!

·
America!
Corvette C6
2,827 Posts
you gonna make a vent hole for that 2 channel? puppy prob gonna get hot in there with no air flow. lil concerned about my 2channel come summer in the box i built for air

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you gonna make a vent hole for that 2 channel? puppy prob gonna get hot in there with no air flow. lil concerned about my 2channel come summer in the box i built for air
What two channel? I have a 4 channel mounted where the Bose amp was. And yeah, the air compressor panel I cut a whole in and have a 12V fan in there drawing air in.....

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, had a problem with this box. At first, I wanted to not have it smooth. I wanted it textured like the interior panels of the truck, so resin was sanded "semi-smooth" and primed. Then paint was applied. Turned out looking like shit.

So, sanded the paint and primer REALLY good, almost took it all off. Then applied filler over the entire box. BAD IDEA! Apparently the hardener in the filler had a reaction with the little bit of paint left on the box and the paint turned into jelly....thus lifting all the filler off. What a pain in the ass.

So....back to sanding. Got it all the way back down to straight resin. Applied a few more coats of resin to outside, and let it all dry up. Then one of my buddies came by last night and informed me of a mixture of body filler and fiberglass resin. He mixed it up and we "floated" it on the entire box. That shit is AWESOME!

It has been sanded all the way to 220. Got some Evercoat Easy Sand glazing putty from an automotive paint shop. Guy swears by it, so gonna coat it in that and go to town sanding again.

For someone with as little patience as myself, I can't believe this is happening. Good thing a friend of mine who is currently unemployed LOVES to sand. So while I'm at work, he's at the house sanding......for beer and cigarettes. More to come tonight.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts